• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plugs

Rapracing

Does anyone have a current/good source for glow plugs? I've tried the sources mentioned in the wiki but no results.

Edited to add: I should have mentioned that they are needed for an 002a.

Thanks

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time, please add to an existing thread covering this topic please.

Jimc

the ch42 champion plug that is in the link is the proper glow plug. you cant go by what champion says. unfortunately they dont even know what the thread size is for it.

bookpile

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=26137 They do NOT come with the gaskets if you need them I ordered mine from http://www.jackssmallengines.com and it took a month for them to arrive.. I had the glow plugs with in a week from champion. I also ordered the gaskets from sears parts direct and they arrived today so it took 2-3 weeks for those to arrive..
I just asked the same question in another thread before I saw this one, but Tucson do you know the size of the copper washers you ordered for the glow plugs?

Also to the OP, I just ordered some glow plugs from rock auto an hour ago, hope they have them in stock.
Race Mart also appears to have them.

Jimc

yeah book, those two sources seem to be pretty reliable and reasonable for the plugs. rockauto i think only sells them in a 10pk. last i checked anyway. i dont have any washers around or i would mic one up to get the measurements. might be able to just find copper washers that will work. just a measurement of the glow plug element and outer body would probably be fine.

Jimc

here is a mcmaster part#

94397A542

same specs. only .004 bigger outside dia. i hardly think that would make a difference on that. mcmaster is really quick on shipping too.

Rapracing

the ch42 champion plug that is in the link is the proper glow plug. you cant go by what champion says. unfortunately they dont even know what the thread size is for it.
Thanks! If these are the ones it is by far the best price I have seen. Found the two places that say they have them for $58.99 each.

Jimc

yeah the champions are usually $15-19 each. the ones being sold for $58 are the original mil-spec wellman plugs. the wellmans are good and come with the copper washer but they dont seem any better than the champions. i have used both. wellman/dieselrx quit making those plugs. not sure if they decided to start making them again or not. your fine with the champions though. just order a pack of those copper gaskets from mcmaster-carr. part # is on the previous page.

Rapracing

Just ordered 8 from Rock Auto. The site said only 8 left and I didn't know how hard they may become to get so I figured I'd get a couple extra just in case. Surprised it was only $5.33 Priority Shipping. Also ordered a 10 pack of the copper shims from McMaster. Thanks again!

Rapracing

I decided to replace the bad glow plug this afternoon. When I got the cover off and looked the old plug appeared to be a lot smaller in diameter just behind the nut portion than the new plug. It is! The end the wire plugs onto is rusted completely off that is why I wanted to get it changed. Anyway it is rusted through just behind the nut and the nut and core are turning. I left the core in.My question. Do I just leave it alone and hope it starts in cold weather with only one glow plug? ofDo I continue trying to get it out? If so what would be the suggestion? Continue working the center out and use an easy out?I am concerned that I get it started out and cannot get the threads out and create a bigger problem.I have hit it several times now with wd40

Last edited:

Jimc

Well i would do whatever i had to to get it out. If you pull the injector just the tip sticks through into the port. Pull the injector, Drill it, heat it and just work it that way.

storeman

If you have to clean up the threads after you drill, I seem to remember it is 7/16x20 thread. An old seldom used thread anymore. A good deal of thread sealer may be required based on past experience. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks