• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plugs

Jimc

well not really. as long as you dont go so deep that you bottom out and separate the electrode from the body. if you do that then the electrode could end up in the engine.

Rapracing

At jimc. I thought the electrode was probably turning with the nut but from what you say it isn't? I was thinking the electrode would pull out leaving me the body with a hole in the middle of the body to maybe use an easy out in.

If I understand what you're saying I will actually be drilling the electrode out of the center?

Last edited:

Jimc

if you drill all the way to the bottom of the hole where the copper gasket would be sitting you will separate the electrode from the body. you dont want to do that. just drill in 3/4" of so. enough to get an easy out in there or something then the whole thing will come out together....hopefully.

Rapracing

if you drill all the way to the bottom of the hole where the copper gasket would be sitting you will separate the electrode from the body. you dont want to do that. just drill in 3/4" of so. enough to get an easy out in there or something then the whole thing will come out together....hopefully.
Thanks. You didn't need to add "hopefully" :sad:

ill keep soaking a couple days and give it a try

Jimc

i dont know what is inside those things. probably some type of ceramic encapsulated resistor wire in a metal shell.

storeman

A tip. Remove the injector and heat sink and stuff the chamber hole to the piston so drilling debris does not fall where you don't want it. That way, if electrode does separate, you can easily retrieve it and clean up with a shop vac nozzled down using tape and a piece of pvc pipe.

Jerry 2cents

Rapracing

I thought I did tonight. It actually sounded and felt just like it broke but it was the glow plug breaking loose. I have attached a pic below. I changed both of them while I was doing it. Both were swollen at the end and hard to pull out of the head, especially the one that is complete. I didn't find washers on either of them and could not find them in the holes. Is it possible that there were none. If there were there are 2 in each hole now.

image-7.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and input

Jimc

it is possible there were none. thats great you got it out. i highly recommend you coat the threads in copper antisieze compound. it will make life much easier down the road

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks