• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow-Plugs

rlltide12

Safest way to start a diesel is to take a gas soaked rag and hold it over the intake. Just dont let the engine suck it down the intake. Dont use ether. Its bad for the motor.

lindsaym

Triple C, I'm a lot less knowledgeable with the fuel system than the GP system. I switched out the fuel filter about two weeks ago, and that's the extent of me messing with it. I'm charging the batts now to make sure they're good to go. I'll pick up the FPPF today, anything else I could check at my level?

rlltide12

Id pull the pink wire on the IP and pull the fuel line going from the filter on the firewall to the IP. Disconnect it at the filter housing and have someone turn the motor over while holding something to catch the fuel. If you get a steady stream, put the line back on, then turn the motor over again for just a few seconds, then reconnect the pink wire and tell us what happens

rlltide12

Thats ok, you can take tube off on the other end at the IP and just stick it in a milk jug. Then you can turn it over and make sure fuel is coming thru

Triple C

I'll try that, roll-tide. Unfortunately though, it's just me for the time-being.
I feel that brother! rlltide12 is helping you check fuel flow so if you can put the fuel line in an empty soda bottle and then cycle the key you can see how much flows out in say ten seconds. If you have a decent amount of fuel you can discount the lift pump, tank, line etc. If you don't you start working backwards.

rlltide12

Cant cycle the key unless you have an electric pump. You will actually have to turn the motor over as the stock pump is run off the camshaft i believe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I strongly recommend you never use a gas soaked rag to start a diesel.

I also strongly recommend you not use ether with an indirect injection 6.2 GM motor.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would simply open the fuel filter bleeder(rather than pull the fuel line).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual, the TM has these procedures listed.

I think your better off reading and following the troubleshooting, than taking everyones random(and personalized) advise.

lindsaym

Gotcha. I'm just having trouble tracing the wires (it's still dark here and the trucks outside), so I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to be unplugging...

Triple C

As usual, the TM has these procedures listed.

I think your better off reading and following the troubleshooting, than taking everyones random(and personalized) advise.
That's a good idea - I have a 6.5 that I went down this road with (non military) and a TM for that would have been great - plus - I am not a great mechanic so the only advice I can give is from personal experience. Happy to help but doghead's right.

rlltide12

No offense to doghead because he seems to be vast with knowledge on MVs from my prior readings on here, but sometimes personal experience is more valuable and much less time consuming than any book you can read. There are a lot of people on here who are very knowledgeable on these vehicles. I would personally like to talk to someone who has dealt with the issue i am working on rather than try to read it and hope I interpret it correctly. I will stick around lindsaym and try to answer any question you may have!

lindsaym

I'm pouring through the TM, and i'll try to do the steps best I can, but I'm not a mechanic (trying to teach myself as I go), and some of this stuff is a bit over my head. I did pop that bleeder valve though and fuel squirted out....

Triple C

rlltide12, sounds like you know what you are doing as well. The TM will give him a step by step procedure though so it wouldn't hurt to give it a look. At least if can't be too complicated if it's trying to run. Assuming the filter is good (since he changed it recently) it is probably just a lift pump..... Good luck lindsaym and hang in there, we will help however we can.

rlltide12

If you got fuel from the filter and it was under some pressure that is a good sign its not the LP. If the filter is new, maybe there is some trash in the line prior to or after the LP? It would allow it to build pressure but not flow. Also possible there is water in the fuel like Trip C said.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, inspect the return line check valve. They are known to plug(when the ip is going bad).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are hundreds of posts that cover changing a filter and bleeding the system. We have covered this many, many times.

Here is a video the member Aboonski made that covers an easy way to bleed the system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jfVk_d4LI

and another video for a GM suburban with same type of filter. The poster is not very mechanical. Remember...DON'T REMOVED THE VENT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7_jvstNdg

Last edited: