• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M52A2 restore thread

Restore or Part Out the M52A2?

• Restore the M52A2

Votes: 40 97.6%
  • Part out the M52A2

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help us out with the color layers: Looks to be 1960's 24087 (factory) covered with strata blue, covered by white, covered by 1980's MERDC green camo?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow justin i know you said you loaded it with a crane. but i was thinking the crane on the wrecker. great shot for sure:jumpin:

goldneagle

Help us out with the color layers: Looks to be 1960's 24087 (factory) covered with strata blue, covered by white, covered by 1980's MERDC green camo?
I am not sure about the 24087. I saw some primer and then Strata Blue. The final color is a flat military green.

goldneagle

Not much progress on the truck so far. Been busy with other projects and will not commit to major work until I have title in hand. I did order a new kill switch assembly and new horn button rebuild kit from Saturn Surplus.

I had removed the frozen cable from the truck and the cut off on the IP seems to go in and out easily. That means it was just the frozen cable that kept me from being able to shut off the engine.

The horn button was missing and the previous owner installed a cheap plastic horn button on the side of the steering column. I was able to match the design to a M123E2 horn.

When I received the truck the radiator was empty and had no cap. I added almost 4 gallons of water to the system. i can see the water level in the opening of the fill hole. It seems to be holding for a couple of weeks so far. I purchased a new radiator cap from Eric's Military Surplus and installed it on the radiator to keep the trash out. i also purchased new antifreeze and will be installing that soon.

My plan is to get the engine running and stopping and then I can check the brake system to see why it is not functioning. I want to make sure the truck function properly mechanically before I do all the extensive body restore work.

crasheej

It was an Air Force truck for sure nad the reg number on the inside of the drivers door. That was where we put them. When they were going to get a different color of paint on the outsied we didn't paint the inside.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means, restore that ole' flat grille. They were a dime a dozen at Ft. Hood back in the mid '80's. Now those old girls are not easy to come by. Nothing like a 5-Ton that whistles while it works. Send me a PM if you want some near new taillights for it.

kennys@wi.rr.com

With some effort, and sand blasting, that will be one fine ride there. Just take your time and don't rush it. You will be far more pleased with the results if you take the time to do it right.

goldneagle

With some effort, and sand blasting, that will be one fine ride there. Just take your time and don't rush it. You will be far more pleased with the results if you take the time to do it right.
Thank you for your advice and support. This is going to be a slow restore! I can only do a little bit each day do the the HOT and HUMID weather down here. I also need to keep the expense spread out to keep in budget. :grd:

goldneagle

I replaced the frozen kill switch yesterday. It was a real pain! It was hard to reach the location in the dash to install the nut on the back of the switch to secure it to the dash. Then it was hard to get my arm by the power steering column to attach the end of the cable to the IP shut off.

After installing the kill switch I tried to start the truck. I attached my battery charger to the batteries and tried to star the truck. NOTHING!. I tried to charge each battery separately and found that one battery was not taking a charge at all! Oh well time for new batteries!

I went today and got new Group 31 batteries from Advanced Auto. Hooked them up and tried to start the truck. NOTHING! Checked multiple locations and found a broken wire in the back of the power switch. Took out the light switch module and then tried to remove the power switch. The nut was frozen and caused the whole threaded stem to rotate. I took an angle grinder and cut off the nut. After removing the switch I could see where the wire broke from the back of it.

The wiring in the truck is old and brittle! I will have to replace it all. I was able to use a toggle switch to temporarily turn on the power to the start button. I started the truck. It ran nice and quiet. Tried out he kill switch. Engine shut off as designed. I restated the truck and let it run for 5 minutes...smoothe! When I went to shut off the engine I used my left hand to pull on the kill switch lever. I jerked the lever back and the head came flying off the rod! The side of my wrist hit the steering wheel hard. I got the truck to stop. I pulled the rod with a pliers and attached a vise-grip to keep the rod from going in. Took the handle and tapped it back with a small hammer. Seems to hold!

After putting all the tools away and going into the house I noticed the side of the arm above the wrist was swollen on one side. I am not sure if it is broken or bruised...

Been puttin ICE on it 15 minutes every hour. If it's not better in the morning I will go to the hospital for an x-ray.

That kill switch was brand new from Saturn Surplus! Should not have come apart like that!

BikerBi11

I think you are going in the rite direction. I know if it were mine, and I could get it to run, AND fix the breaks...... I would drive her around on the dirt roads for a few miles before I made my decision. Seems like once you drive them your whole attitude changes. for better or worse.[thumbzup]

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are going in the rite direction. I know if it were mine, and I could get it to run, AND fix the breaks...... I would drive her around on the dirt roads for a few miles before I made my decision. Seems like once you drive them your whole attitude changes. for better or worse.[thumbzup]
:ditto:The only time I regret owning my truck is when I have to pay my storage fees. A quick spin usually remedies that. The simplicity and size of these trucks get under your skin and there is no turning back. They're just a straight kick in the pants to have. Most folks get a kick out of seeing them drive by.

cajun666

I am in love
pm price for it.

I am at work and have no one to relief me to get off boat.
So it be a bit before i could go pick it up.

Hopeful we can come together on a price :jumpin:

cajun666

You call we haul- proud member of the BIG GREEN AAA 317-522-6608 M818 Tow bar

i hate to see that bill

i did not like 800.00 bucks

indiana to sildia to larose ;-)