• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M52A2 restore thread

Restore or Part Out the M52A2?

• Restore the M52A2

Votes: 40 97.6%
  • Part out the M52A2

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtdeucedriver

Hello all. Zev has offered me the use of this thread, Thanks Zev!. I posted some of my ideas as to how the truck will be restored. After sitting down and looking at the plan it stay the same however, once the truck makes it up hearand is cribbed up ,I will start at the front remove bumper,grill,windshield frame, fith wheel, ramps,tool box and decking and have those bead blasted,primed and repainted along w/the new hood. I have a good set of front fenders to replace what is on, however I have a lead on some NOS fenders which is what Im looking at. I bought on a whim from Saturn NOS quarter fenders that go behind the fuel tank and rear tandem years ago. I have NOS lift shackels for the front, new refectors red/orange and host of small used/new parts. Looking at the amount of work that will be done in cases like the quarter fenders I had a$50.00 quote to bead blast, however NOS at Saturn was $39.00 so yes it cheaper to buy new, but not always the case,I do like used parts over new, but it makes more sense to buy new in some cases it is the better idea. I found in my parts bin boxes the upgrade for the spin on oil filter kit. I have tracked down new exhaust parts.Im a self admitted pack rat. I also in process of restoring my M328 bridge truck so I do trade off in between other projects, Im hoping to have it ready for some local truck shows,yes it is a tad bit wide but it does fit in between the lines on the road. I found a donor truck at Royalton,Mn Ricks salvage,I have known Rick for several years but just know this, he is scrapper and does not care about our hobby, all of the trucks he has have no titles they come out of Camp Ripley as scrap. I did get a mint pair of mud flaps for M328 project to complete the destroyed mud flaps, if you know about bridge trucks at least the old ones they are huge and are not plentiful. Depending on his mood you will need a lot of $$$$$. I really appreciate all the help/advice that is coming my way until next time, Thanks guys Terry
Terry I like you already!! A M332 and a Pack rat........Thats my kind of MV'er. Looking forward to the pics. You got my e mail, use it if you got questions.

goldneagle

Well today was a miracle day. They finally came to pick up the M52A2. Been waiting almost a year for it to leave. I hired a wrecker to come lift it up and drag it down the road to where the freight truck was waiting for it's cargo. With a drop deck it was easy for the wrecker driver to push the M52A2 up on the deck.. Here are the pictures:

Attachments

Csm Davis

Hey Zev why didn't you just use your own wrecker? But hey I know you are happy to see that truck gone. And hey I recognize that dump truck tank.

Last edited:

goldneagle

Hey Zev why didn't you just use your own wrecker? But hey I know you are happy to see that truck gone. And hey I recognize that dump truck tank.
The hydraulic hoses on my wrecker are in very bad shape. Also have no experience using the wrecker and didn't want any problems. The buyer payed for the tow truck 8 months ago. It was a miracle day!!!!!!!!!:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:fat lady sings

green crazy

Yes it was miracle. I have tried to find a trucker that would haul the M-52, with no luck. I tried a total of eight times on U-Ship and other trucking sites. I offered $4.00/mile and no bites, what I was told that there is a shortage of drivers and the physical area of the country is not a hot spot for truckers. The truck is on its way to Minnesota, so restoration will have to wait until spring. It is sleeting as I drove to work to day w/snow being a real posibility..I would like to thank Zev for his patience and John Gribnitz who is a professionall driver who helped me greatly in finally finding somebody to get the truck up here. I have all the parts to get this truck back to it former glory! Thank You! Terry