• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M923 recovery and modification thread

goldneagle

Today the rain stopped for a bit so I decided to work on the fuel cap lock door. Took out the welder and angle grinder. Cleaned up the areas that were to be welded. Welded the hinges in and then the lock catch. I leaned up the welds and burned paint. I primed the areas and let it dry. Painted the underside of the diamond plate platform. Reinstalled the platform (had to remove the spare tire end-bracket to get the platform back on) Re-secured the platform in place with the 4 bolts I removed. Painted the platform top and new cover with Gillespie green paint. Took these pictures:

Fuel_Cap_1.jpgFuel_Cap_1a.jpgFuel_Cap_1b.jpgFuel_Cap_1c.jpg

Today the rain stopped for a bit so I decided to work on the fuel cap lock door. Took out the welder and angle grinder. Cleaned up the areas that were to be welded. Welded the hinges in and then the lock catch. I leaned up the welds and burned paint. I primed the areas and let it dry. Painted the underside of the diamond plate platform. Reinstalled the platform (had to remove the spare tire end-bracket to get the platform back on) Re-secured the platform in place with the 4 bolts I removed. Painted the platform top and new cover with Gillespie green paint. Took these pictures:
Looks good but your tanks don't have the metal screen/filter in the filler neck? My description isn't too exact but on my 932a2 has a metal basket like setup in the tank to prevent siphoning, it does not prevent people from adding water to the tank though.

goldneagle

VERY nice - It looks like it was always there!
I am surprised it is necessary to do that.
Yes there is a strainer basket in there! It will not stop someone from dumping contaminants into the tank. A lot of things we do to these truck are not necessary but optional. We do them anyway! The parts I used were free or almost free so why not....

Yes there is a strainer basket in there! It will not stop someone from dumping contaminants into the tank. A lot of things we do to these truck are not necessary but optional. We do them anyway! The parts I used were free or almost free so why not....
I completely agree, I was not trying to bash you or your work. The work looks great, matter of fact, I may do something very similar. Just wondering if the trucks were different.

agazza2

Excellent work on the truck. I really like the spare tire I fuel tank lock. I hope I can also get over to Jeff Davis place to buy some parts for my M931A2 soon. Just have to figure out when i have time to drive there :)

goldneagle

I completely agree, I was not trying to bash you or your work. The work looks great, matter of fact, I may do something very similar. Just wondering if the trucks were different.
No offense taken. You were right to say it was not required to stop siphoning - but we have heard from members that had their fuel contaminated in the past. Besides it was fun to fabricate.

goldneagle

Excellent work on the truck. I really like the spare tire I fuel tank lock. I hope I can also get over to Jeff Davis place to buy some parts for my M931A2 soon. Just have to figure out when i have time to drive there :)
Supposedly a lot of the stuff is getting scrapped next week. it was delayed due to weather. I suggest you contact Jeff ASAP.

commandojeff

I just read through your entire thread. Looking good! Keep up the good work!

I thought it was funny in your picture of your toolboxes how you had brake fluid... You use that much on the 923? Kinda like blinker fluid... It's good to have around :mrgreen:. Hahaha all in good fun. I might borrow your locking fuel tank design by the way.

goldneagle

I just read through your entire thread. Looking good! Keep up the good work!

I thought it was funny in your picture of your toolboxes how you had brake fluid... You use that much on the 923? Kinda like blinker fluid... It's good to have around :mrgreen:. Hahaha all in good fun. I might borrow your locking fuel tank design by the way.
The fluids and tool came out of the Deuce tool box. I am storing the Brake Fluid for the Deuce. I need to add fluid and install the Remote Fluid Reservoir on my Deuce soon. It is funny to have that in the picture though! As far as the locking fuel tank design -go for it! Glad my ideas are helping fellow members. :tank:

goldneagle

I had a break in the weather this afternoon so I decided to do some work on the truck. I noticed some rain had leaked from the top joint in the hardtop. When I looked closer i notice that there were 2 nuts missing from the last 2 bolts by the driver's door. I installed 2 replacement nuts and tightened them up snug. I went and tightened all the bolts that held the hardtop together.

Next I decided to find a location to mount the 12 volt fuse panel. I located 2 spots in the battery box that I could mount the panel and fuse holder. I mounted the fuse panel to the side facing the firewall in the narrow compartment of the battery box. Right next to the Battery Equalizer. I also installed a 3 fuse block for protecting the load going to the fuse panel. It is attached to the separation wall between the battery compartment and the narrow compartment where i mounted the fuse panel. I used #2 welding cable for the feed to the fuse block and #6 wire going from the fuse to the fuse panel. Here are the preliminary pictures.

Attachments

goldneagle

Another rainy day today! Man I am getting tired of all this rain. Only work I did to the truck was crimping a lug on the end of the #2 cable feeding the new fuse block. Also installed heat shrink tubing over the end of the lug/cable. Now i have 12 volt power feeding the fuse panel. Next is to install some receptacles and some cab lights. I am going to use the Amber LED marker lights as Dome lights in the cab.

ptrjason

I love the updates. Nice idea about the marker lights for the dome light.

I have the same idea for the back of my Expedition, but since it is to light up the command cabinet back there, I want to get a LED stop tail turn trailer light with LED reverse light built in. It is the same shape as the regular oval STT trailer lights but with a white LED ring on the outside. They sell cheap L brackets for mounting oval lights on the bay. I plan on mounting it behind the emergency lighting that will be on the rear headliner, facing down.

And I want to put a three position switch so it will turn on what ever light I want at that time. Red-off-White.

Red is a lot easier on the eyes at night then amber in close areas, and makes it harder to see in as well. And the white can be used when u need light. That way I am not limited to one color of light only, and it will be in one light housing.

I have a cop dome light up front on the head liner and it is the same thing. Red and white LEDs. Also the map lights on the console and computer mount have red filters to slide over the bulb.

goldneagle

Today was another miserable day out. Since it was not raining for a while i decided to continue my work on the truck. Today i bought a fuse panel for the 24 volt system. It has a capacity of 6 circuits. I ended up installing it next to the 12 volt fuse panel. it is mounted inside the battery box on the diagonal corner of the passenger side. i have a picture showing the bolts on the outside of the battery box that hold the 2 fuse panels in place.

I also installed the hasp and padlock to the battery compartment. This will keep someone from being able to override the kill switch from the inside.

Attachments

goldneagle

I got a shipment of LED dash panel bulbs in yesterday. I went out this afternoon to install them. The ones I installed as indicator lights worked out good. (Low Air, Emergency Brake, Axle Engaged, High Beam and Turn Signal) The ones I installed as panel lights are disappointing in daylight! I had a couple replaced and the rest were still originals and you can see the red glow in the instruments from only the originals. The LED do not show in the gauges! Maybe at night? I will try to test them tonight.

I think the design of the LED bulbs is the issue. They are deigned to project forward, not around like regular bulbs. I may try to rut the plastic skirt that surronds the LED in the bulb to see if I can get better light spread.

Scarecrow1

I'm not to big on the LEDs anyway . I just don't see the need in them. I can stand in front of my stock head lights and get a sunburn :). I like your work but, to me it is a case of over kill. I will keep my truck a bit closer to it's original condition. I like the hardcore no frills look . Far as security most think I am crazy and don't mess with a biker that likes big green toys and where's a large hunting knife every where he goes. Keep up the good work it should be interesting how it looks when your through .

ptrjason

It depends on the type of LED bulbs. Some have LEDs that face the side as well. I replaced all my lights on the civy vehicle to LED. It helps with amp draw when engine is off and even when it is on, reduces the work the alternator needs to do. The only thing Halogen on my truck now are the headlights and front turn signal. I changed the turn signals to LED, but they were not bright enough to be used safely so I went back to halogen.

But to each his own. YMMV

commandojeff

I'm not to big on the LEDs anyway . I just don't see the need in them. I can stand in front of my stock head lights and get a sunburn :). I like your work but, to me it is a case of over kill. I will keep my truck a bit closer to it's original condition. I like the hardcore no frills look . Far as security most think I am crazy and don't mess with a biker that likes big green toys and where's a large hunting knife every where he goes. Keep up the good work it should be interesting how it looks when your through .
To each his own. I personally like the look of the LED lights and I like the fact that I see a lot of newer trucks in the military having them. I enjoy making things on my truck to how they are being used by our troops. However, I don't have the cash to go to LEDs... So the originals work well for me. I don't drive at night much anyway.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks