• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Deal or Not

Goose2448

I am looking at buying my first Duce. A guy in my area buys and sells them from his surplus store. It is a 69-72 model. It is a multi-fuel turbo either 1C or 1D. It is a hard top with a heater. The Tires look good. There is some small amount of rust, mostly in the bed. Some of the paint is pealing but it is nothing I can't fix. There is also a minor radiator leak, some stop leak should fix it. It started after having to jump it, dead batts one is original. He is going to replace them. He is also replacing the gauges to make sure they work properly. Due to dead batts I was not able to check the lights. The Troop seats look good. There is no cover, but they can be cheap and I plan on taking my pick-up with me. It was a convoy leader and has the light pole on it, the light is gone. It has the air shift front axel. I was not able to drive it on the street, no tags. I was able to drive it in the parking lot. While moving in first, it stopped going. It was like you disengauged the clutch. We checked it out and the Front axel was not spinning. So we bumped it back with another Duce. I keeped trying the clutch and then it worked. He is having it looked at and will fix it. He will not sell it untill it has checked out OK. I am having a freind of mine who was in the Army and Navy look at it. He has been working on cars since he was 8 and driving since 12. He learned to drive a stick on one of these in Holland, and took them on 'Test Drives' in the States. Hopefuly I will be learning to drive a stick on this one. He only wants $1800 for it. Thanks for all of your advice in advance.
Goose
I have pics and will try to figure out how to post them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good deal. Looks like it has a few issues but still a good deal for $1,800. Just make sure he has a title if you decide to buy it.

Goose2448

We tried just about everything. He Drove it back form The Gap about a 2 hour drive with no problems. I not sure about the tilte but if not the price is going to have to come down some, with all the problems I have seen. PA is one to find anything to hold you up.

GoHot229

Without a title your looking at trouble and alot of hassel. $1800 is cheap enough but if you have to go title hunting or whatever, it's ......a pain. Try doing some searches with 'title' here on the forum, read what these guys went through. The cowl and windshield area look really rough. the bed is average, not bad. Tires apear ok.

Last edited:

Goose2448

Yeah, It's not perfect but it dose not have to be. If it was just another truck I would have not even looked at it. One of the reasons I am in the market is because I am trying to keep the miles down, It only has 52,000. The other is to anoy my freedom hateing naighbors. I have read some of the title problems. I think the guy is going to get before he sells it.

Last edited:

stumps

Yeah, It's not perfect but it dose not have to be. If it was just another truck I would have not even looked at it. One of the reasons I am in the market is because I am trying to keep the miles down, It only has 52,000. The other is to anoy my freedom hateing naighbors. I have read some of the title problems. I think the guy is going to get before he sells it.
Trying to piss off one of your neighbors is probably not a really good reason to buy a deuce. Pissed off neighbors tend to rain down all sorts of new laws and regulations upon everybody in the vicinity.

Also, judging by the configuration of the dash, the tach being an add on, I would guess that this truck used to be a gasser, and was modified to a MF. It is probably older than 1965.

Any experts want to chime in?

-Chuck

steelandcanvas

Trying to piss off one of your neighbors is probably not a really good reason to buy a deuce. Pissed off neighbors tend to rain down all sorts of new laws and regulations upon everybody in the vicinity.

I agree, there are also plenty of threads about pissed-off neighbors. Be respectful of them, you will get further in the end.

Also, judging by the configuration of the dash, the tach being an add on, I would guess that this truck used to be a gasser, and was modified to a MF. It is probably older than 1965.

Any experts want to chime in?
-Chuck
I was thinking the same thing as I read the thread, and looked at the pictures. Get a title from him, even if he charges a few more bucks, get it.

Good deal??? Yes, No. At $1800 it may be cheap, but if a year down the line after sticking $1000 into it you still have an $1800 truck, it may not be a good deal. Sometimes it is better to find a nice truck for a few more $'s, you may end up with something of value in the end.
To a certain extent, it is a crap shoot, but do your homework and don't rush into a cheap truck. Most "dealers" are getting more for a quality truck.
Good luck.

derby

I agree on the gasser dash. Multi conversion. that dewss does not look too bad. I would look at the front main or where ever all that oil is coming from. It will be much easier for him to get the title than you. Good luck with your nu dewss!

Goose2448

OK, I can't spell. Most of my neighbors are ok. Some will love it. Others just HATE me. The truck I drive now is somewhat loud and runs high RPM'S. They think it' CRAP and don't like that we keep to ourselves. There are other DEUCE's in the township and there not a problem. If they try to do something about it, I will point out actual code violations.

cbvet

Sometimes it's worth the effort to try & get your neighbors interested in what you do. Maybe they'll want to play too.

I'm lucky I guess. Seven miles from town, so no baloney ordinances to deal with. And a lot of my police & veteran buddies come over to shoot at my range.

I think some of my "neighbors" might be a little bit afraid of me. I'm okay with that.

Goose2448

One in a NAM Vet. The other is a car guy. He said when he moved in " I don't care what you do in your yard as long as it dose not effect me." And thats ok with me. One dose not like a pile of lumber we have because it blocks her view. My farther is putting the fence back up "For our GSD." I thought 13,500 pounds of American Steel is pretty good looking. And one does not know how to cheerish a '78 T/A. THAT REALY BUGS ME!

Goose2448

I was talking about my C20 pickup. It was my grandfarthers. He replaced is '73 C20 Crew cab. It towed a 29 foot 5th Wheel all steel. It saved my father's life. He also burnt the leaded enginge. When I started working on it, it did not start. It is now a daily driver. The brand new radiation leaks on occanison and the rear main seal needs to be replaced. The miles per gallon is about the same as a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks