• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good deal or Not

s1036s

This is the craiglist post, I have emailed the guy with some questions and still waiting for a response.

---M35a2 truck runs ok stops ok does need some tlc would be a good farm truck or project has 10 new tires and tubes cost 2600 truck has bumper mounted pto winch and hard top
Does have a generator issue I think a bad ground, the rig is old so lots of little things, i also believe there to be a problem in the fueling system it runs and starts every time but has trouble going over 35mph seems it just doesnt get the fuel
any way im asking almost what i paid for the tires and cost for mounting
make offer or trade ---- $2500 asking price

Also any ideas of what could be wrong with his generator and fueling issue. Thanks for your time.

Also I am definately mechanical and dont mind buying a project deuce, but i dont want to buy it and find out the motor or trans is shot etc...

Last edited:

Jones

Bad grounds are notorious in older military trucks. If not, another generator (alternator) is an easy fix.
Fuel filters should be changed out anytime you try to rejuvinate a vehicle that's been sitting. If the filters weren't clogged, they will be if old fuel and crud gets pumped through them.
A bad engine shouldn't be a big concern since they're relatively easy to come by and change out.
All depends on what kind of a deal you can make. Bidding with that possibility in mind should keep you in the ballpark.
From the two pictures you posted, it looks pretty clean. Get the tarp off of it and take a closer look or ask for more pictures if it's not close.

Sephirothq

First question would be what are they asking for it?

It might need the alternator rebuild
It might need an in tank fuel pump, an injection pump or just a fuel filter.

How far is the truck from you?
a few miles that you could drive it or are you looking at a towing bill?
does he have a title for the truck?

There are a lot of unknowns. with what you just presented.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a good deal. It doesn't say what he' asking but judging by the cost he quoted of the tires and saying he's asking just a little less, I'm guessing $2500. If the numbers match and the title is in hand, it could turn into a good deal, could also be a nightmare if the buyer isn't familiar with deuces and has to pay someone to fix it. Too many factors are unknown. Hey, we are neighbors, I live in L-Town.

s1036s

The truck would need to be towed about 100miles and that is with a ferry ride involved (if possible with deuce on trailer). I have no problem working on the vehicle like I said, so I definately wouldn't be paying someone to do anything. The guy does want $2500. The main questions I asked were for more pictures, State licensed, and how bad of rust is there. If i could get this thing driveable on the spot, then I could take it home, depending how bad the "fueling" issue is. Filters are my first thought, and also bad diesel. Are those tires worth anything to someone since I will be goin to super singles.

Any other questions I should ask?

Thanks

s1036s

Well I emailed the guy, I have no clue how much he knows about it. I am trying to keep most the details limited so that someone else doesnt snag it from under me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think that's too high.

AZDeuce

If its titled/licensed, and the tires are good, I'd go look at it with cash in hand, and make a decision after inspecting the truck.....my God man! It's a winch model, and has a hard top. although from the little interior photo it looks like somebody may have sat in the center of the roof.......but that is fixable!

I would look to see if the transfer case lever is in low range, (all the way to the floor). If so BUY the truck, put it in high range do your walk around safety checks, while it builds air CHECK the brake fluid, and if good, move the truck and check the brakes, if everything checks out drive it home! A hundred miles is nothing, plus it will give you time to get aquainted with the beast.

BUT......as a back up plan I'd bring a complete set of all 3 fuel filters, and plan on taking the time to change them out, bring oil, coolant, and DOT 5 brake fluid, and tools. That's what I'd do, but I like MV related adventures. Worst case scenario you have to have it towed/hauled if the above doesn't work. But me I'd give it a try.....nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Just what ever you do.....do it SAFETLY! And a back up plan is always a good thing!

s1036s

I agree that i could possibly find a better deal, but how much money and time did you spend to get that thing home 600miles. Where as I could have this done in a day/ weekend. Like some one said, I could walk up there with cash in hand, 2000 or so and beat the guy up a little.

Thanks for your replies

wsucougarx

I contacted this guy earlier about this truck. Seems it came from Alaska or something like that. It does have a multifuel personal heater in her as well. The truck looks OK

Heavysteven

I think 2,000 would be a steal. I rolled the dice on GL and paid almost 3k.

I would drain the fuel filters and see what comes out.

Dito, bring fuild of each kind. A complete set of filters and belts, 5 new vent springs, put it in high dive home.

Be safe

jtrojan715

i saw this truck also. did some searching on here and some one was having a similar prob on a recovery they bypassed the fdc and that got them up to speed but then blew a head gasket. if its a clean truck with title and 100 miles away id do it. id offer 2000 and go from there:grd:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here are more pictures.
http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/goomer214/quad/M35/

The only thing I wish this had was the drop bed sides, but I could switch that out later. Any more comments after viewing the pictures... I think I am goin give him some money to hold it, and take a look at it next week.

I don't see anything on that truck that scares me off................... although I can't tell it's condition with it being so filthy. A good pressure wash would probably be a first move for me or a trip to the car wash and see what it looks like.

It does have nice features............. hardtop, winch, air shift, etc.

Either the head gaskets or the valve covers are leaking. It probably doesn't matter as there are 2 kinds of deuce owners: the kind that have done head gaskets and the kind that will be doing them. Not a terrible job.

Make sure the check the hardtop, they are terrible about rusting away to nothing.

Swapping a deuce bed isn't hard if you have access to a forklift. The beds weigh about 1400 lbs.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking from the exterior. I think it's work a closer look. Looks like maybe hidden rust in the cab beneath the floor insulation. $2500 seems high with all those issues. I commend the guy for being up front about them.
Bottom line, if you think $2500 is reasonable, go for it.

Heavysteven

FYI that yellow sticker on the oil canister means the FDC was bypassed.

That most truck must have been in the artic. Fuel heater and I think there is alcohol evaporator on the air compressor.

I would preview, bad economy mean buyers have the power. Keep us updated this thread is very entertaining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks