• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good deal or Not

s1036s

The owner has already replaced the fuel filters and still did not solve the problem. He is pretty certain that it is the injector pump. He says the worst rust spots are the front windows, the part that tips out. Also it is titled. The diesel is 5 years old, he bought the truck and drove it to were it sits. The replaced the filters and the truck is still not going over 35mph. Seems like a good deal, he is going to hold it for me until we can arrange a time to look at it. Anybody know of a truck and trailer service in Western Washington State that can pick this up for me. I dont want to risk towing it with my 3/4 ton. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

s1036s

Please dont let him know, thats my bargaining chip right there. A new injection pump is like 500 dollars right..... wink wink. Anyway. I dont know if I should tempt to drive it home or just get a truck and trailer ordered. He also said brakes need a little work, so maybe adding fluid and bleeding will help? Anyway, I am hoping to get this thing next weekend. He sounds upfront about. Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited:

s1036s

Some final questions for you guys. If this thing really does have a fueling problem, after I check the tranfer case lever.. Would you still buy it? Also, I am getting my stuff together to take there and wondering of any suggestions that you might have.... Here is what I have so far

The "Great List" off of the thread in this topic
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/133-great-list-picking-up-your-deuce-4.html
Post #40

Also a complete parts list for part numbers of the filters etc.... Hopefully I can buy all filters at the local auto parts store.

I am working on a complete service manual, as well as operating manual (startup/ shutdown procedures)

Now I need to line up a trucking company just in case.

I should drain the fuel tank and start with fresh diesel, bleed the brakes, check all fluids etc....

Any tips on anything

Heavysteven

The filters may or may not be availible locally. They were not in my area. Remove and clean the axle vents, tc vent, and tranny vent. Check the sttering for loose bolts to the frame, check the drive train for loose bolts, check the brakes lines, look for looose or unconnected wires, check the air pressure on the tires, batteries still good

DOT 5 brake Fluid
Gear Oil
Motor Oil
Colant
Air Filter

Good Luck:grd:

s1036s

He did mention that I need to fix a battery cable clamp and possibly charge the batteries. Now this maybe be a really dumb question, but can I use a standard 12 volt battery charger for these batteries? Also anyone know what kind of clamp I need or where to pick one up at?

Heavysteven

Yes you can charge them individually (not connected).

The battery clamps are special order from napa. Military grade and the pos & neg are different. I used a standard to get my truck on the road while waiting. Sorry i dont have the napa #'s

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think carquest also carries the mil spec battery clamps.
So I do not have a part #.
With that many things on the fix it list you might just get it towed.
Know anybody with a tow bar and lights?

Also if you haven't driven one before, (i got that from you saying you need to read the start up shut down procedure) you should have some one who has go with you or get it towed.
It is big and it isn't like a car. What would you do if you are driving along and have something go out? Like a car you get used to how the truck behaves. Better to learn that on a short trip around the block at your house than on the crowded highway.

We want you to be around (read as alive) so that you can come tell stories at the PNW rallys, Not be the one we tell the story about.

Just my 2cents

earnie

Could be a good deal. It doesn't say what he' asking but judging by the cost he quoted of the tires and saying he's asking just a little less, I'm guessing $2500. If the numbers match and the title is in hand, it could turn into a good deal, could also be a nightmare if the buyer isn't familiar with deuces and has to pay someone to fix it. Too many factors are unknown. Hey, we are neighbors, I live in L-Town.
do military trucks have matching numbers
when i was in the service this did not seem to be a thing uncle sam really cared about

littlebob

I say, look at your wallet, look at the known issues and know what it will cost(worst case scenario). Remember if you have a place and time you can part it out before you get in too deep. Just remember these are old trucks and will need a healthy wallet to keep them rolling.

Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks