• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear radials SUCK in the snow!!!

nhdiesel

I had the opportunity to attempt to drive the Deuce in the snow with the 1100 Goodyear radials, and I have to say I'm less than impressed. O.K., I know I have a lot working against me- the sprag t-case isn't working, so the front tires aren't pulling. The tires are the highway radials, so the lack of all-terrain aggressive tread is also a factor, although the tires are almost new. And last, I have no weight in the back of the truck...its just an empty cargo body at the moment.

We got about 5" of snow, and the truck won't move from where its parked. I dropped the rear tire pressures down from 80 to 25psi, still nothing. Then I dropped them down to 10...no go. Last I dropped to 5 psi, and I was finally able to get the truck to move back and forth a few feet into the plowed area, but even on the plowed area it won't move enough to get to the road. Its a VERY slight uphill grade, maybe 4" in 20 feet or so on plowed ground but still nothing! I think when I take it to my father's to swap t-cases over to an airshift unit I'll see if my father wants to trade a set of NDTs for my useless radials.

In their defense, they weren't made for all terrain use, and they DID ride and handle great on the highway on the trip home from Kentucky. They worked fine for what they were designed for- highway and hardpack dirt. I was hoping for a bit more in the snow though. I know having the front tires pull would be a big help, but in comparison my wife's Durango with bald all season tires can drive out of here in 2wd.

Nonotagain

Something is not right with your truck or you had ice underneath the snow.

The Goodyear radials should pull very well in the snow even though they are a highway tread pttern.

If you think the radials are bad just wait till you try the NDT's, you'll be slip sliding away.

Josh

I had my truck in the snow sunday(bout 6 inches) and i wanted to see if I could go anywere with out the front locked in. on flat ground it wasnt so bad but soons I hit an incline the back end just started spinning. Locked in the front end and it went 100x better. Im running stock NDTs still dualed. From what I've gathered NDTS arnt the greatest in the snow either. and if I was running 1100r20s(which I hope to in the future) I would invest in a set of tire chains for all 3 axles. Bout 200-300 bucks for 3 sets of chains delivered (bases on the chains for 1100x20's in the classifieds). Hope that helps some.

PS Adding 2000lbs of gravel will help alot. and if you get stuck you have lots of gravel on to throw down for traction.

saddamsnightmare

December 14th, 2009.

nhdiesel:

Old boy, its not the tires, its the underloaded truck that's sitting on them. Plus road tires will not grab like M+S designed for off road use when they are on pavement or pavelment covered with melted snow turned to ice. If you calculate the tire area on the ground on your rig in square inches, and devide the empty deuces weight by that.... you probably have less ground pressure then a Jeep Wrangler does on its tires. Your truck would be even more squirrelly if it had 10 on the ground instead of 6, but I would suggest chains on the rears and either get the sprag working or put an air shift on, because your truck is crippled now without the weight of the engine helping to pull it.
Also, radials, if they have steel belts in them, really hate being aired down as low as you had them, as the sidewalls aren't designed to do that, whereas the old bias plies could stand it for limited time or speeds.
If it were regularly hairy for snow up your way.... I'd chain all 6 tires... then you could do something as long as the roads are snow covered. A Unimog might have been a better bet with the locking differentials. Deuces when they slip really make a mess of it. I'd also add at least a ton if not 3 in the bed, also for traction.

Good luck anyway,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

roscoe

I'm still waiting for snow to test the NDTs on mine. So far I haven't been able to get stuck in the mud with 50 psi. It will go through a muddy field with the front axle disengaged and will easily navigate a drainage ditch and muddy hills in 6x6 mode.

roscoe

I had my truck in the snow sunday(bout 6 inches) and i wanted to see if I could go anywere with out the front locked in. on flat ground it wasnt so bad but soons I hit an incline the back end just started spinning. Locked in the front end and it went 100x better. Im running stock NDTs still dualed. From what I've gathered NDTS arnt the greatest in the snow either. and if I was running 1100r20s(which I hope to in the future) I would invest in a set of tire chains for all 3 axles. Bout 200-300 bucks for 3 sets of chains delivered (bases on the chains for 1100x20's in the classifieds). Hope that helps some.

PS Adding 2000lbs of gravel will help alot. and if you get stuck you have lots of gravel on to throw down for traction.
Dito on the gravel.

In the past I put gravel in 20 gallon nursery containers (limitless supply). This makes it easier to adjust the wieght and also keeps from having a frozen pile of gravel in the bed when you need it for something else.

BEASTMASTER

a lot has to do with the driver. i've been plowing with my 5 ton for 5 yrs now. with ndt's. people say i'm crazy but i have'nt had any trouble that i would'nt have with civy m&s. but i think the front end may do better with civys on it. put a ton of sand in the bed to the rear and you will do a lot better. i run 60 lds in the front because of the 1500 ld plow and 40 lds in the rear tires, with no weight. ain't been stuck YET .

Jake0147

I'll agree, the weight, or more correctly the PSI of ground pressure applied makes a huge difference in snow/ice conditions. Your front axle will be doing 70 percent of the "pulling" with an empty truck. Stick something heavy in the back.

dskchevy

I was at camp johnson in colchester VT from '78-'84 & very winter the same thing happend...... Without tire chains, Your right they suck in snow Deuce or 5 Ton same thing.....
But once you get one going at a good clip & blow some dounuts or side ways with a 5 Ton with a shop van trailer skiddering on one set of duels.............:-D

It was fun being Young & dumb............:wink:

Scarecrow1

LOL man every thing sucks in the snow and combined with ice , thats double trouble .....I remember seeing the tanks in WW2 slidding all over the place on a special of the way weather controled combat It was so funny to see these beast skidding around like a Ford pinto on an ice pond..... But your sure to do better with chains ...... :p:p

dskchevy

Sorry nhdiesel..........................I just had a flash back.... You know the kind you get with that little grin..................:cool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put 3000# in the back and call me in the morning! No tire does good in the back of an unloaded deuce in the snow without front drive.

nhdiesel

Well like I said, there are more factors than just the tires, but come on- stuck on nearly flat ground? I'll try it again after swapping t-cases. The biggest issue is that the tires have zero self-cleaning ability. The tread packs with snow and instant slicks. I do realize I went severely low with the pressure, but it was only to get it unstuck. As soon as I get it out I'll be inflating to street pressure. For now, its going to sit until i can afford to get it to my father's to swap the case. Not much point in pulling it out then having to back it back into the yard and be stuck again.

If I could keep these trucks I'd buy some chains, but both trucks will be getting sold as soon as I finish getting them ready- t-case swap and heater install for this one, and heater and filling all fluids (and replacing filters) for the other one.

By the way, this truck also got stuck on wet grass a couple weeks ago. That was embarrassing...I had to pull it out with my Durango. That was on a bit of a hill though, about 3 degrees...lol.

Oh yea...I've lived in, driven in, and 'wheeled in snow all of my life...so I'm kind of used to it. So that eliminates experience from the equation. I'll chock the traction problem to equipment issues (t-case, weight, and tires combined).

Jim

rideni

something is really wrong with that truck, as in as pathetic as my 2WD GMC Savannah 2500 work van with an open diff.
I've gone through some nasty **** with NDT's with no problems

tsstout

Hello all,

I was kinda waiting on our tire experts (we have several who know their stuff) to speak up on this thread.... I THOUGHT I had learned from them, that airing down radials was a BIG no-no.... due to sidewall flex, and extreme heat...

Not trying to be a pain... just trying to make sure I have learned.. and that there learnin' was of correct information....

Terry

nhdiesel

What happened to my other thread? What do i have going here, 2 different threads? I only posted once...strange...

Yea, I have the G286. I had posted a reply in the other thread (sorry for the 2 threads...mods can combine please) that I only aired down to get unstuck. You can air down radials, they just produce a lot more heat than bias ply. Don't drive fast or far with them aired down and they are fine. Most 4x4 off road tires have even gone to radials, except a few of the originals that are still out there, such as Super Swamper TSLs (they have several radial versions now though).

Lavarok, I know what these Goodyears are worth...I'll trade my father, but otherwise I wouldn't trade for NDTs just because of the cost difference. One thing i didn't post was that I have the 1100s singled out (truck in my avatar) so i only have 7 of them, not enough for dually.

I would love to use these tires for a bobbed Deuce, either in single or dually, as a daily driver/street vehicle. they do ride and handle great on dry roads, and even decent in the rain. I would have thought they would do well in the snow, the tread looks good for snow, but they just pack up very quickly, having no self-cleaning properties.

Jim

nhdiesel

I even went as far as checking to make sure both rear axles were pulling, and they are. It doesn't matter whether I slowly let out on the clutch while idling to try for a bit of traction, or get the tires spinning- slow speed or high speed...still no traction. I've driven sports cars that got more traction in snow with wide performance tires! I'll try and get a video tomorrow...it should make some laugh, especially when we think of how great these trucks usually go in the bad stuff. Its bad enough that my neighbor was laughing at it.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks