• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear radials SUCK in the snow!!!

It was self inflicted - free of charge.

All you need is a tire groover and some time. I've tried grooving NDT's lots of different ways but nothing really helps as much as getting rid of that center rib than runs the circumference of the tire. In soft snow and mud NDT's do work real well. On hard slick surfaces like wet rocks, ice, and such, that solid rib down the middle won't let the tires bite. Of course if your doing a lot of highway driving, this isn't for you. And, I suppose the life of the tire may be cut in half, but we are talking about 'traction' right?

jblack6527

It was self inflicted - free of charge.

All you need is a tire groover and some time. I've tried grooving NDT's lots of different ways but nothing really helps as much as getting rid of that center rib than runs the circumference of the tire. In soft snow and mud NDT's do work real well. On hard slick surfaces like wet rocks, ice, and such, that solid rib down the middle won't let the tires bite. Of course if your doing a lot of highway driving, this isn't for you. And, I suppose the life of the tire may be cut in half, but we are talking about 'traction' right?

Cool deal. I'll have to look into that.

emr

They are pretty good for everything ; not that great for anything.
Oh well I loved your grooved ndcc's now im hurt,..."All In Fun here"... i have 40,000 awesome miles on ndccs on just one truck and absolutly love em, from 25 inch snow storms to mud over the axles, and never never had a truck slide in any weather even terenchal dounpours,I mean on pavement... I air em down like one is supposed to, and they can be aired down to 15psi and still carry a load, these tires are proven tough and proven the test of time, not to offend, but times change and trucks and tires do too, but like a deuce there may never be another exact tire design that worked so well in so many climates and conditons. and like i say alot, it is not the tire it is the driver , and sure a driver can take a high teck radial and run it like no other, But the ndccs are real and do the job . Oh i will add my side by side comparisson last year with 2 813s one with ndccs and one with 14oo radials, in slimy mud on flat and side slope in deep wood conditions and basic traction the ndccs ate em up, did not slide nearly as much and pulled and dug the mud up way better, A narrow tire is always better in mud and snow period, there may be other opinions, but that is a fact..And aired down ndccs clean out just nice...Now all terain is different and sometimes a floater is good and sometimes a digger is good, and sometime lockers will slide u off the road and sometimes lockers will be the only thing to get u thru, ....I just do not think one should tell anyone there is only one choice that works , because That my friend is a lack of experience...randy...ok I re read my post and want to add, This is in fun and sharing experiences, and it takes years of driving different tires in alot of different terrains and different vehicles, i am older and have been very active in this type of endevor , I understand some guys have better experiences with some tires, and respect that, I hope no one takes me in any way but good....I do not mean it any other way....randy

Last edited:
Oh well I loved your grooved ndcc's now im hurt,..."All In Fun here"... i have 40,000 awesome miles on ndccs on just one truck and absolutly love em, from 25 inch snow storms to mud over the axles, and never never had a truck slide in any weather even terenchal dounpours,I mean on pavement... I air em down like one is supposed to, and they can be aired down to 15psi and still carry a load, these tires are proven tough and proven the test of time, not to offend, but times change and trucks and tires do too, but like a deuce there may never be another exact tire design that worked so well in so many climates and conditons. and like i say alot, it is not the tire it is the driver , and sure a driver can take a high teck radial and run it like no other, But the ndccs are real and do the job . Oh i will add my side by side comparisson last year with 2 813s one with ndccs and one with 14oo radials, in slimy mud on flat and side slope in deep wood conditions and basic traction the ndccs ate em up, did not slide nearly as much and pulled and dug the mud up way better, A narrow tire is always better in mud and snow period, there may be other opinions, but that is a fact..And aired down ndccs clean out just nice...Now all terain is different and sometimes a floater is good and sometimes a digger is good, and sometime lockers will slide u off the road and sometimes lockers will be the only thing to get u thru, ....I just do not think one should tell anyone there is only one choice that works , because That my friend is a lack of experience...randy...ok I re read my post and want to add, This is in fun and sharing experiences, and it takes years of driving different tires in alot of different terrains and different vehicles, i am older and have been very active in this type of endevor , I understand some guys have better experiences with some tires, and respect that, I hope no one takes me in any way but good....I do not mean it any other way....randy

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I do have a set of XZL's but to actually use my truck as a tow truck I use my 9.00 X 20's. XZL's look awesome and really fly down the highway but they have way too much surface area for my Bobber. So, I concur, you don't have to convince me a narrow tire works better. Most of my four wheeling is going to retrieve some souped up, fire breathing, monster tired, floating contraption that broke through the snow. I'm not interested in trying to 'float' my Bobber. Taking the center rib out of the NDT's allows them to dig more aggressively and stay in contact with the ground. That way you can get out of what you get into. That has been my experience.

saddamsnightmare

January 18th, 2010.

Might I suggest for the man that loves NDCC's, try a side slope logging road, pretty thouroughly bedded with soft clay mud, snow and ice, and a loaded deuce. With this combination, you will get new respect for how little side slope traction the NDCC's give.
The Swiss Army NDT's I alluded to above were grooved pretty agressively, with two longways (along the axis of the tire) cuts in each lug and the center ribs were grooved as I believe Mr. Booger has illustrated above. I never had problems on pavement, rock, mud or the limited snow we get here with that tread grooving pattern, and it seemed to get the water away from under the center rib on pavement, which is where it really counts.....:razz:

The NDT and NDCC's are loosely derived from an agricultural tire design (see early WWII photos of White Scout Cars and CCKW's in MV Magazine or David Doyle's "Standard Catalog" of military vehicles, the tires originally had the tractor type chevron orientated for pulling power, like a tractor. The Army soon found they did not ride well on pavement, and when stuck, you couldn't get them to pull backwards very well. Ergo the design of the NDT and NDCC resulted.... Still not perfect, hence the tire designs used on the M35A3's and the HMMWV's seen in Iraq and elsewhere today. Not perfect, but better then what came before.
I am debating reequipping my deuce with the modern issue tires, or going to the pain of grooving NDCC's as above to get better on road traction... Cost will likely be the deciding factor. In any case, we all stand to learn something from the ongoing discussion.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D