• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my truck stuck again...

just_enough

i was asking to get stuck it was completely for sat night fun.. i grew up on a farm with quads tractors and trucks, there was a way around the whole and i knew i had a way out if i got stuck so i went for it!

tm america

those tug boat ropes are great we have one we use at our mud bogs its so big it wont even fit in the rear pintle on a deuce .lockers or not you have to choose your path wisely. i always get a laugh out of the 10000lb winch on a 14000lb truck who did the military hire to do thier math on that one even with a snatch block it will only get you out if you are less than hub deep:roll:

hole

I understand most of this conversation is about going thru mud, but out here in so cal, we've taken or trucks up trails that are better suited for quads. Quite capable for 13k trucks all in all

stumps

those tug boat ropes are great we have one we use at our mud bogs its so big it wont even fit in the rear pintle on a deuce .lockers or not you have to choose your path wisely. i always get a laugh out of the 10000lb winch on a 14000lb truck who did the military hire to do thier math on that one even with a snatch block it will only get you out if you are less than hub deep:roll:
They probably weren't expecting you to dead lift a deuce into the air, though with a couple of snatch blocks, properly rigged, you could.

Attach one snatch block to an overhead attachment that can handle the weight of a deuce, another snatch block to an appropriate lift point on the deuce, and the cable end back up to the overhead attachment, and you should be able to dead lift about 20,000 lbs.... You would probably want to put an anchor behind the W/W deuce, and depending on the cable angle, you might lift the front end off of the ground.

Most of the time, the hope is that if you drove in, you could drive on, or back out with just a little bit of outside assistance. 10,000lbs is quite a bit of outside assistance. Besides, the front axle of a W/W deuce is already prone to burying itself... a 20,000lb winch would certainly hasten the process.

-Chuck

tm america

problem is 99% of the time when we get stuck there isnt a huge i beam just sittng right over our trucks to hook to when i got stuck at haspin i had three deuces with snatch blocks and they all broke the shear pins like three times i had to dig the tires out before it would move .hmm surely three deuces with winches tired to trees should be able to pull out one little deuce right:?:

glj

Banned
Be good to me, as I am new to this business. Little boys never grow up, and I'm 63 and just acquired my first M35A2. I guess it has something to do with the little boy that has to have the biggest, or longest or something. You will see what I'm talking about.

This thread caught my attention vis a vis "lockers." My question(s): Is it wise to have lockers on all 3 axles? (I would like to hear "YES") There has been considerable discussion re the wisdom of air vs Detroit lockers in the front axel. Many prefer air activated because they experience something akin to understeer or a "push back" with Detroits. The con re air is "more parts" and more failures/maintenance. But my main issue is with rear lockers.

Detroit and air (when activated) apply equal torque to both wheels, on the strait. (Some have the misunderstanding that a wheel has to slip for torque to be activated). When the front wheels are turned, the outer wheel is released. But I doubt this would occur in the rear. Regardless, with the center of axis somewhere between the front axle and the front of the two rear axles, I can see that there will be some scuffing of tires on the rear two axles.

Maybe I'm wrong in the above formulation, but if correct would lockers indeed worsen this scuffing wear of the rear tires? Would the installation of locking/unlocking hubs in the front of the two rear axles help? This way we can assure that the respective wheels would turn independantly of the axle. But we are still taking a 4 wheel anatomy and rotating it ever so slightly on it's center, considering there is no steering wheel in this isolated design. I've also read that one should never put a locking/unlocking hub product in a rear axle (presumably due to increased U-joint wear since you cannot unlock the drive to a rear axle; but seemingly it would be no worse than a front axle without a locking hub, e.g., Selectro or one of the better products).

I'm sure that, assuming you have read this far, someone wants to say "geez, what a dumb s---; he should shut up. And that's OK. I have a thick skin.

But this is what I want to do and I hope there is an affirmative consensus: Detroit type lockers in both rear axles and an air locker in the front axle; locking hubs in the front axle, and ?????????? the front rear axle. I know, this seems counterintuitive to the things I've stated above, but if you say "no" I think I will pout, and possibly wet my pants just out of spite.

glj

Banned
I understand most of this conversation is about going thru mud, but out here in so cal, we've taken or trucks up trails that are better suited for quads. Quite capable for 13k trucks all in all
Your women. I want to buy your women. (Blues Brothers) No, I apologize. I ment to say "Will you sell your Studebaker? I am a Stude collector. Alta Loma, is it? This is the only HS football win for Corona HS in 65. I graduated from Corona in 64. George Ingalls was voted "Mr. Lucky" that year, and I can still see his long legs carry him elegantly to the only score in the game. Not so lucky, though. Laid on a grenade in Nam. Won Cong. Medal of Honor, but life would have been better.

I'm probably violating some rule in this forum, so better shut up and stick to the steel. Want to sell?

stumps

problem is 99% of the time when we get stuck there isnt a huge i beam just sittng right over our trucks to hook to when i got stuck at haspin i had three deuces with snatch blocks and they all broke the shear pins like three times i had to dig the tires out before it would move .hmm surely three deuces with winches tired to trees should be able to pull out one little deuce right:?:
My point is simple, the winch is capable of helping out in most stuck situations. If necessary, it could be employed to lift a deuce straight up in the air with a couple of suitably sized snatch blocks, and something to lift from. But as you say, that doesn't come up very often.

Finding a winch that you could mount on the bumper of a deuce, that could get you out of any situation you could get into, would be an act of futility. The deeper you are buried, the more impossible such a winch would be. Imagine dragging a deuce, buried up to its roof in dirt, out of the hole. Any winch that could do that would tear the deuce to shreds.

The military undoubtedly looked at past campaigns, and developed a logistical unit that could move the goods anywhere on land, almost all of the time. That unit was composed of lots and lots of WOW deuces, quite a few WW deuces, a handful of wreckers, and somewhere on the side were the dedicated combat engineering units.

You pay your money and you take your chances. The military chose to put enough winch on the WW deuces to help out, but not so much that the WW trucks had to be dedicated to the task (like wreckers).

In its intended environment, each deuce didn't stand alone, but was part of an overall plan to move goods wherever necessary.

-Chuck

hole

Your women. I want to buy your women. (Blues Brothers) No, I apologize. I ment to say "Will you sell your Studebaker? I am a Stude collector. Alta Loma, is it? This is the only HS football win for Corona HS in 65. I graduated from Corona in 64. George Ingalls was voted "Mr. Lucky" that year, and I can still see his long legs carry him elegantly to the only score in the game. Not so lucky, though. Laid on a grenade in Nam. Won Cong. Medal of Honor, but life would have been better.

I'm probably violating some rule in this forum, so better shut up and stick to the steel. Want to sell?
Not at this time, but thanks though