• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got screwed on an m939.... crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck, they all need something fixed, some more than others. Slow down and go through the vehicle, you'll find it probably need something else addressed.
I second going through the vehicle and accessing it's condition. I have bought multiple trucks from GL and have learned the hard way that they are not to be believed (and yes members told me that over and over.) My favorite was it starts and drives. When I got their they asked where my trailer was, and I told them I was going to drive it back. They then informed me that yes it starts and drives but it doesn't stop. I was a bit miffed, but managed to get it road worthy for a trip home.

I did a detailed inspection of my last truck, watched the video of the truck being ran to verify all the gages were reading where they should, and when I went to pick it up the alternator failed, and (probably) fried my ABS and someone had gone through the truck and stolen everything that wasn't locked up. Luckily ABS kits just got flushed into the market so repair parts are super cheap.

Point is that inspection would have helped in this one case to some degree, but it is always going to be a gamble. As noted before I started rambling on about my experiences with GL, go through the truck and see what is good and what needs work before you do anything. It may be a great truck that just needs a radiator repaired and the brakes were only caged for transport.

It is a very nice looking truck, and this is definitely the right place to be to help you work through any issues and find what you need to make it whole.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caging the brakes on a M939 truck does not remove the service brake function, just the spring brake function.

Carlo

(in phoenix, az)

Hi,
so i've had dueces in the past...i sold them when i left AZ, but now i'm back and i found an m939 and picked it up based on photo's and a verbal "it runs good" from the auction staff.

upon picking it up i checked the fluids and they appeared OK, well that was wrong, the radiator has a huge hole and it overheated in about 3 miles.....GREAT. so i had to call a landoll and have it towed. haven't touched it since but also the rear brake screws are all the way tighened so it only had front brakes (another loveliness i didn't notice till i was on the road)

so a couple questions, what might a radiator cost? (it's an older m939 with the big nonturbo cummins) IF that is the only time it overheated, are these prone to quick failures or are they pretty durable?

and what is this thing worth as the heap of crap it is now (body, interior, etc...is all in good shape and i'm sure it'll run still but haven't tried it since radiator is crap, has a hard top and a/c...) i'm very deep into it but perhaps it'd be better to just take a loss and get rid of it.View attachment 501789
It looks like a good truck. I've never had an ex military truck purchased that did not need anything. We are all in the same passion / hobby so we have a good thing in common. We are here to help you as I was helped when I made my first post a few years back. Hang in there.

azM35a2

To the user asking if i have a cdl, no i do not. i've driven vehicles with air brakes, you aren't magically more intelligent in the driving of such because you have a piece of paper signifying a cdl.

I appreciate all the responses, I feel i got screwed because i was simply told it ran/drove fine, The pictures looked nice, and it Appeared to be a solid truck

The fluid level in the fill tank for the radiator was OK, which is the only way i know to check it's level, so i went by it.

The brakes were certainly interesting. Thusfar i think i should have stuck with the m35 series as i know theres parts in the valley for them. Though i'm sure someone in phoenix has an m939 rotting away.

I'm about $5600 into it right now, with the lovely Landoll tow.

Carlo

To the user asking if i have a cdl, no i do not. i've driven vehicles with air brakes, you aren't magically more intelligent in the driving of such because you have a piece of paper signifying a cdl.

I appreciate all the responses, I feel i got screwed because i was simply told it ran/drove fine, The pictures looked nice, and it Appeared to be a solid truck

The fluid level in the fill tank for the radiator was OK, which is the only way i know to check it's level, so i went by it.

The brakes were certainly interesting. Thusfar i think i should have stuck with the m35 series as i know theres parts in the valley for them. Though i'm sure someone in phoenix has an m939 rotting away.

If there us no rust and the truck was here I would JUMP on 5600!!! The truck is worth more than that. I'm sure you shut it down before any motor damage is done. The lonely way I would think about changing a radiator is if a pole drove through it! I bet you can save it with a good radiator shop.
Don't give up on the 923A1. She's a good truck once you get her sorted and I know I will get some flak from this but the 923 is 2 times the M35a2. I know cause I have one.
Keep the faith.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$5,600 so far isn't that bad. Put a radiator in and go from there. I still question how in the heck the thing could have a big hole in the radiator and the fluid level be okay. I have a Cummins in my 813 and if there is a problem anywhere the coolant level goes down.

As for running and driving fine they really didn't lie did they? It did run and drive.

azM35a2

Perhaps not a big factual Hole, once pressurized it blew it out everywhere.....i'll get some pics next time i'm down there, but coming from 70-80 degree's for the last 2 yrs to 110+ daily is, taking a bit to adapt. The last thing i want to do is go stand in the sun heh.

They went with the auction "runs and drives"...but i've dealt with this particular auction for many years in the past and simply expected better from them. Regardless it's my truck now so everything prior is moot. Just need to either get it gone or get it fixed.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I got to agree with swbradley1 on the fluids . Also the pre-trip inspection you should have seen the brakes were caged , that's something you learn when you get that piece of paper you don't care about. There was no inspection before you bought the truck and it doesn't sound like there was much of one before you hit the road. Maybe the other bidders inspected it and that's why they quit bidding. If it was a GL listing there is a disclaiming that information may not be accurate and they recommend to inspect.

azM35a2

Come look things over in 110 degree's with the 140+ degree sun blasting down on you.... let me know how how leisurely you go about inspecting. i noticed once i had issues, but prior to hitting the road, at slow speeds....it felt just fine.

Woodsplinter

You can't change the past, so like others have said replace the radiator and go from there. It's a good looking truck! If you decide you don't like it, it will probably be easy to sell. Having A/C is awesome- especially out here. I have it in my deuce.

Jacks Surplus in Tucson (520) 574-0300 would probably have a radiator but he's usually not the cheapest. Saving on shipping by picking it up might be cheaper- give him a call and see what he says.

Hang in there- you have a diamond in the rough!

Mark

azM35a2

it has a normal a/c compressor on the engine, and hoses running up and into the a/c unit, it's just mounted to the roof, i didn't notice any extra supports. but next time i'm there i'll take some photo's for you.

ke5eua

it has a normal a/c compressor on the engine, and hoses running up and into the a/c unit, it's just mounted to the roof, i didn't notice any extra supports. but next time i'm there i'll take some photo's for you.
That's pretty cool. I know what it is, it looked like a rv a/c unit but that is cool.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats not bad at all, plus the truck has a/c. You need to look that unit over real good. It maybe a USMC truck and you'll have some neat extras.
Need to put the spin on engine oil filter adapter on it. I have them listed in the classified. Find the leak (hole), any good radiator shop can fix them up.

Last edited by a moderator:

azM35a2

given the temps here, i find repairing doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, i'd prefer to replace it with a good used unit. but worst case i'll have a shop check it out. due to it's size i figure they'd probably want as much to repair it as i could find a used one for.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for the A/C & the hardtop, that truck is worth fixing. Take your time & go one step at a time. The TMs do a good job of de-mystifying the bigger trucks, but once you get it running good you'll forget all about your Deuces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks