• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the MKT Home

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started Cleaning

I started cleaning on the MKT yesterday. Normally I would start at the top and work down so any gunk washed down stream would get cleaned up at the end. Knowing I was going to have to get down on the floor to do some of it made me decide to start there first instead.

I took a 5 gal bucket with hot water and Dawn and a very long handled scrub brush and had at it. The first process was just to get the mat clean enough that I'd be willing to put my hands on it to move it out of the trailer. Top side came pretty clean.

The floor itself has a lot of grease and old flour on it. The grease wasn't too bad to get off but I need a recipe for removing petrified flour. Some of it came up with a putty knife but I'm having a tough time getting it all up.

Attachments

cornrichard

Try Matera paper or Gulf coast paper in San Antonio for some Spartan SMB 130. It is a commercial degreaser. The selling point on it is the metal conditioners included in the formula. They keep the white powdery look off your aluminum. It also controls hard water spotting. I sell a ton of it to truck shops. Use gloves or you will have the driest hands in the world.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on the bottom of the rubber mat also and sure appears to be dried flour and not corrosion. Here's a before and after shot of the mat. I hit it with the scrub brush good and then a pressue washer. Most of it came off but I'm going to try and keep it wet for a while to see if it softens up any more.

Attachments

MitchG

Hey Walter I have a few M-2's that I should probably get rid of. I converted one to propane, works pretty good. At any rate let me know.

Mike, let me know as well when you want to go. Have trailer will travel!!!!

Jason I think the word you are looking for is oxidation....

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mitch, I also volunteered to go with Mike. If you have a trailer, I've got the 30mpg dodge with the 110gallon tank ready to go. Road Trip!

I got a look at mine really quick yesterday. It is a MKT-75A, with the modification, (it had the GFI outlet and a connection in the cabinet for the converter) but I didn't see the converter in the cabinet. It is a 12 vent roof. There are two roof jacks in it, so now I have four. Anybody need a set? There are several stacks of canvas screens and sides, and what looks like the under skirt. no walkway roof, and the front travel cover is trash, but the sides and back are still holding. Oh, and it has a griddle, so now I have two. :jumpin: Looked to be pretty empty in the cabinets, but who knows what I might find. Dieing to get it home now and open it up.

Just waiting on the EUC now.

Can someone with the converter look and see if it has a wattage and amperage rating for output? I can build one if I have to, I've got several rectifiers and transformers laying around.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard Inverter is 600 watts output into two circuits. V3 inverter is 1000 watts surge (for 3 minutes), then steady at 600 watts. All at 24 volts nominal. HTH.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike! I'm sure I can build one if I can't find one. I can have something bigger than the 1000watts, I just didn't want anything smaller.

Listen to me, and I don't even have any MBUs, much less my MKT yet!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro,

I've got 2 extra MBUv3s. Mike has a list of what I need for mine so maybe we can do a swap for some of it. The big issue is shipping them due to weight.

MC

MitchG

Hey Ferro, if you want to get rid of one of those griddles and maybe a roof jack or two let me know.

I have a 20 something foot trailer that is on standby!!! Just have to throw all the accumulated crap off of it!!!!!

rwbrown72

If anyone is coming west, Mike has a roof jack for me. It is already paid for just need the SS express to get it out here! Even to Bama would be fine.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mitch,
We'll have to work out with Mike about running to the 'stash' I do have two spare roof jacks- might be able to trade for some stuff.

mkcoen,
I've got a line on a complete set of MBU's within driving distance. We might be able to work something out. I think I might want to keep both griddles. I'll have to see.

MitchG

Just FYI for any of you using the MBU's. I have a few spare parts for them if anyone needs any. I have new fuel nozzles, new burner tubes (the honeycomb looking tube in the center), and I also have conversion kits to upgrade the MBU100's to MBU103's. Oh yeah and I had a die made to cut new fuel tank gaskets. I also have some cutlery rolls and other odds and ends if anyone needs anything.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a couple extra canvas cutlery rolls also. Unfortunately none of the knife sets are complete although I have 2 scimitar knives, a meat saw and a spare measuring spoon set.

I'm looking for a basting spoon and a couple of paring knives to complete 1 set for myself so if anyone has some loose extras they'd like to trade. At least this stuff is small enough to be fairly cheap to ship.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
Check with a local restaurant supply house for utensils. I use FRS, which is a local SC operation, as they often have specials on certain items, such as the knives - current flyer lists paring knives at $3.20 each, 6" boning knife at 13.50, and the 12" Chef's knife at 24.70. They usually have large serving spoons and forks for between $2 and $5, depending on the quality. When i go to FRS, it's like a kid in a candy store!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike. I'll check out something local. I think I'll try and put together one roll in military hardware just for display purposes and look to fill our my other needs that way. Of course I'm still trying to figure out what a "boxing knife" is.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what an UN-boxing knife looks like...
That's what the wife said. I reminded her that I was the comedian in the family and she shouldn't try stealing my material.

#5 on the Cutlery Roll is "Knife, Boxing." It has about a 6" blade but doesn't appear to be anything particularly special. I was just curious about the name.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that id is the "Boning" knife, especially if it's a 6" one. Actually, most of the military knives since the MKT's came out are Dexter (Rogers) commercial knives. I know that's what is packed in the M-59 Range Outfits I got from Eglin AFB! And they came with M-2 burners, not MBU's. Standard cutlery roll has a 12" Chef's, the 10" scimitar, a 6" boning, and two paring knives, with either a white or black plastic handle. DO NOT LEAVE ANY PLASTIC HANDLED KNIVES IN THE MKT CUTLERY RACK WHEN USING THE ADJACENT BURNER. Heat rises, plastic melts, ask me how I know! Replacement knife was $16.00.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey mkcoen, I have a bunch of spoons and knives that I don't need, tell me specifically (a picture would be even better) what you need, I'm sure we can work something out, Also, I picked up 3 MBUs today if anybody is interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks