• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the old pins and bushings out, how do I get the new bushings in?

Napoleon_Tanerite

Ok, so you probably remember my thread from a few days ago about replacing the door hinge pins and bushings. Well I ended up just taking the door off by removing the bolts from the door side hinges while leaving the body side hinge piece in place. I made short work of the old pins and bushings, but now I can't get the new bushings in. They're SEVERAL sizes too big for the hole, I'd estimate 1/8" too big. I can't believe I'm supposed to drill the hole out, so what's the trick? A quick whack with the hammer did nothing but bounce the bushing down into the body panel (gotta get the vacuum out when I'm done with this post).

So again I ask for help! This time the TM doesn't help me out.

73X

Just update your old thread instead of starting a new one, too much clutter and fluff already.
Then go get the proper bushings they sound as though they are the wrong ones.

Napoleon_Tanerite

ya, i think i'm in deep doo-doo....i went to change out my door striker... i got it about 3/4" out, then it felt like it broke loose, now it free spins and wiggles. Not sure how to fix this, and the TM doesn't provide any help

73X

If you are talking about the nader pin. the nader pin threads into a square plate that is spot welded to the body.
In the past I have drilled six or so quarter inch holes around the edges and plug welded it back on.
If you do not have a welder or do not want to go that route the only other option I know of is to drill six or eight hols and put in
1/4-20 bolts with fender washers and lock nuts.

Napoleon_Tanerite

ok, cut it open and saw what i broke.... basically there's a sheet metal bracket that holds a T shaped nut that the striker threads into. I broke the bracket loose from the frame. Some beating and welding and it's back in business

Napoleon_Tanerite

Everyone I have fooled with was loose to allow for adjustment. I too am curious as to why the 1009 is not.
the bolt itself IS loose, but it is normally retained in a bracket to keep from falling down into the body when the striker is removed. The bracket has probably 1/4"-1-2" clearance on any side of the bolt to allow the bolt itself to move. What I did was I broke that bracket, thus there was nothing bracing the bolt so I could turn it to get the striker the rest of the way out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks