• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Lock Center Pin Alignment Help

ecomacgyver

Hello SS Members, First Post from a new member her. Thanks for all the great info on the site, loving my M1009 recently acquired. I've been going through some maintenance Items and one such item was a rear axle seal. I changed those out no problem but somehow my gov lock rotated enough that the spider gear alignment is off not allowing the center pin to go in. I have the tires with the axle on jack stands trying to rotate the pinion but no luck, the housing moves with the gears. In gear with the wheels while shifting, on the ground, the locker housing rotates.

Anyone have this issue and know how do I get the center pin in?

Thanks in advance for any help. picture is upside down but you can see that the center whole is covered most of the way by the spider gears :-D

EcoMacphoto.jpg

Last edited:

ducer

At the dealership we would just use a drift pin to slide the gear back to center it. Remember leave no marks, be firm but gentle.

Denny

ecomacgyver

At the dealership we would just use a drift pin to slide the gear back to center it. Remember leave no marks, be firm but gentle.

Denny
Thanks Denny- That makes sense, I'll see if I can get a hold of a large drift pin. The issue i have too is that the Gear is covering most of the Hole, I should be able to get it to line up more by putting it in gear in reverse or forward to apply torque to the housing, that makes it move. Any reason to not do that?

ecomacgyver

I just did my m1009, try turning one wheel, it will spin the gears so you can slide the pin right in, that's what I did
my86- Thank you. Did yours spin easily? and when you turned one wheel where both off the ground or just one?

Here's why I'm asking, I tried to rotate on wheel but the other wheel but it spins as if it's locked up. I also had a buddy hold the other tire while I turn one wheel back and forth, it felt locked up. I did all this with the tranny in neutral. Also tried moving the truck forward and backward after all that didn't work. The housing rotated up to top and down to bottom everytime I shifted from reverse to forward with the brakes on. Anyway, that changed the alignment even more, maybe i need to keep going. OR maybe one wheel on the ground and other jacked up and try to turn it with a little more force (trans in neutral obviously)

Thanks for the reply, this is giving me more ideas and I'm sure something will become clear. I'll post the results to help if it happens to anyone else. The seals were so easy and quick to change, next time I'd try to leave the center pin in part way.

my86m1009

my axle was out of the truck, with both wheels off the ground turn one wheel and let the other side do whatever, when I turned one side the spider gears would rotate in the carrier which then lined up the slot for the pin to go back in, I hope this helps!

ecomacgyver

my axle was out of the truck, with both wheels off the ground turn one wheel and let the other side do whatever, when I turned one side the spider gears would rotate in the carrier which then lined up the slot for the pin to go back in, I hope this helps!
Well, in turns out that I have an eaton Posi and not the gov-lock. I am towing the truck to a shop that I've worked with on my jeep to have them fix this thing, the spider gears walked of so much that it's binding at the pinion gear...it's going to have to come out and be reinstalled. If it's bad I may just replace it with a full locker, not sure.

Thanks again, will report back with what happens.

ecomacgyver

Thanks Green-
taking it apart and putting back together was no prob. I must have turned the axle some when I put it back together enough for the spider gears and springs inside the posi to walk off. I ended up marking the bearing caps and taking the assembly out and bringing it to my diff guy. He said that it's actually an Auburn (looks like the eaton) and he ended up replacing the cage that holds the springs inside because I messed that up trying to get the truck towed to him. Anyway, he is going to have it back to me in a day with the missing part he has around the shop because he sells and works on a lot of them. The moral of the story for me is that I will put the center pin back in atleast part way after I pull the axles out to avoid this problem in the future. The springs in those lockers are what complicates things because once it gets out of wack (atleast mine) it was impossible for me to align everything and get the pin back in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks