• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Government Liquidation ***BUYER BEWARE***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyThompson

I found an auction online clearly stating "Military Water Cans" on their website. I called Eglin AFB where the items were located and it was confirmed that they were water cans. However, upon arriving from Atlanta, GA (6-hours away) I noticed they all had THREE handles not ONE as would identify them as water cans not gas cans! I spoke to the local guys there and was told I had to take them as "all sales are final" and that once taken, a claim could be made with GL. I did as I was instructed by the contracted GL employees. I phoned and emailed GL with the specifics, now I have to wait 15 business days to receive a response.

Update... The response came via email and I was basically quoted their policy regarding "all sales final", "removal of property", and "inspection of property". Nothing was said about how GL can make a mistake in listing an item! GL clearly marked these gan cans as water cans. As a result, I have used gas cans that I can't put potable water in which was the point of purchasing them in the first place.

GL has a monopoly on the surplus and apparently has complete disregard for their customers or the concept of customer service.

All I asked for in the claim was half of the final auction cost. I feel it is not GL's problem or responsibility to pay for my travel expenses. However, I DO feel they misrepresented the auction.

I have read several times that you guys are contemplating buying a Deuce from GL. ****' you might find a BOAT waiting on you!

JimmyThompson

Derrickl112... Funny you ask. The photos showed fuel cans. However, when I called Eglin AFB, they said that was a "standard photo" used to list all the cans. Moreover, GL's policy also states the photo may or may not be the actual items being sold. So that would make a reasonable person to believe it would be water cans as listed and confirmed via telephone.

taylordc15... I have 20 of them, all with black gaskets. Make me an offer on em' (912)996-1887

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you preview, GL suggest a preview of items as DISCREPTION IS NOT guaranteed, If you DID NOT PREVIEW, this is ALL ON YOU and you do not have a bitch about this. it is NOT GLs fault you did not or have someone perview the lot.

Sorry about the spelling, I have not upgraded yet so spell check works.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question... Are these 5 gallon gas cans and, if so, are they in reasonable condition? If the answer is "yes" to both questions, you can probably sell them all by listing them in the Classified forum. Maybe even make some money. I know I would be interested

Scarecrow1

I agree with you on the fact that regardless of what the picture was, what they offered as a description of the product was for water not fuel. So far as what is right or wrong is clear to me, they said (water cans) and they should be held to their own add. But you can still turn lemons into lemon-aid and turn a profit. Remember the first rule of sales (Buyer Beware)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be thrilled to get Scepter MFC fuel cans instead of water cans. :p

I understand your plight - GL has you between a rock and a hard place when you buy stuff from them and something goes wrong.

JimmyThompson

73m819... I figured a phone call to the site (Eglin AFB) would have been sufficient. Would a reasonable person drive 6-hours to check and/or start some strange pseudo-internet relationship just to confirm what is a simple listing?

They cans are in good shape, not new. They have some fading from sitting in the sun but fully operable. Most are 200-2006 era'.

I've seen them go for in excess of $100-$150 on ebay.... Geez! I'm certainly not looking to get rich, just maybe recoup some of my wasted expenses.

3dAngus

Uh, you have never seen them go for $100-150 on ebay.

On the water cans, I was selling them fair to clean for $8-15 at the Ga. Rally. Fuel cans, $25-35.

They go for $45 on ebay if Scepter. You can ask anything you want, but getting it is another story.

Cycletek

Jimmy, I do not mean to make light of your experience with the GL, I live dangerously close to Barstow so it is just a matter of time before I have my own experience with the GL.........I think even though you didn't get what you wanted you might be able to turn these cans and give it another go with a bit more careful investigation....I am certainly learning a lot as I go.....It sounds like trying to reason with the IRS!!!!aua

3dAngus

I am very familiar with the cans and the prices. I am no novice to the trade. If you do it right, you will see your cans are selling all day long at 2 for $100, and some have free shipping on that price. It's the going rate.

What you prefer to look at is factory new. You don't have factory new cans, that never had a scratch nor a drop of diesel put in it. Those factory new can be used for water or fuel, your choice, and are great for full museum quality restorations. That makes a huge difference to the perfectionist who wishes to go in that direction and NOT use them.

Like I said, I would sell them for $45 all day long and make a profit, except for some fool who as of late has been paying way to much at the Robins auctions for them. Definitely a newbie who doesn't know what he is doing, and is going to get burned when he tries to sell. He's probably looking at new factory prices like you are. Good luck with it in any case. I hope you get your money back. Most people would be thrilled with fuel cans in lieu of water cans as they are worth twice as much. Not sure why you are complaining. I would ell them, then buy twice as many water cans.

By the way, that is not how you research prices. It is only a starting point. Those are asking prices. and it means nothing. Next, you click on advanced, then on "completed auctions" and you will see what sold, what didn't and for how much. That's where you want to be to evaluate new and used prices.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I can find water cans for $20-25 each, or less, and gas cans in good shape are $40 and more, GL did you a favor. Sell the gas cans and buy the water cans that are already on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.