• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

govliquidation.com

Desert Rat

Big M,

Just wait until the bidding begins. The illusion of cheapness will fast disappear. These guys want full retail prices for mostly second rate equipment needing repairs. Don't hold your breath.

Pappa-G

There are deals to be had but know what you are looking at. Inspect before you bid!! I looked at a pictures of a truck recently that showed 2 winches in the box when I saw the truck one winch was missing. I've seen parts dissapear between auction time and EUC issue and pick up time. ~Use Caution~

h1crwchf

Inspect!!

I have bought several items from GL and had good luck. I inspected everything I bid on that was expensive. I was going to bid on the M35 in Forest Park GA 1546 1050, really nice pictures, so I flew down to take a look, it is a junker. I was really disappointed. The bed, cab, passenger door, and roof are rusted out. The truck starts, runs, moves but it is a painted over rust bucket. GL is a profit based company so they are not out for bad press. Truth is, they don't know the condition of the gear they are selling and they say that fairly clearly. The onus is on the buyer to inspect the gear before they bid, nothing wrong with that! I drew up my own inspection checklist with about 80 points on it. A couple weeks ago I inspected about a dozen trucks, picked out four I was willing to bid on, and won my first and third choice. Out of a dozen trucks I honestly say there were only four I would call serviceable. The nicest truck there was picked over underneath, wires cut, lines missing, brakes bad, head gasket gone etc. Looked perfect on the outside but bad on the inside. The wiring to the fuel tank pump was cut and missing. You really need to look before you bid and you will do well. I am going to pick up tomorrow....
Good luck!

Elwenil

I have a problem with GL's honesty and I think it is much more than just them not knowing enough about what they are selling. To me if you don't know what you are selling, you shouldn't be selling it. If I didn't know anything about Chrysler products, I wouldn't make much of a Mopar Parts guy, now would I? GL is also well known to have had a vehicle up for auction, it gets bid on and should have sold, but a month later it pops back up for auction again. I know that Chrysler 8x8 prototype has been up for auction and sold at least 5 times. I have been told by a friend that he has bid on certain CUCVs and gotten beaten out of the auction by someone else at the last minute, and then the truck is put back up for auction. I know there are deadbeat bidders out there, but this stuff is just too common on some of the most visible trucks. I personally think that GL bids on things themselves to drive up the price and to keep things from selling if the price is too cheap. I also fell that GL is personally responsible for the ridiculous jump in the prices of surplus vehicles lately. I will not deal with GL...

Wyattearp

I have also noticed this practice on GL, i agree it seem they have no flipping clue as to what alot of the stuff is they are selling.
I would think GSA would be better or check with local municipalities about their used military vehicles, i have another bead on another deuce which has the sprague front end and its messed up, the guy told me to call him back at the spring when they get their new monies from the state and they might just sell that other truck.

Albin

I check out GL for S&G but if and when I get serious about buying one, it will probably be from a member here or someone like Joe Young. The closest trucks I see are in Montgomery, AL, about 4 hours one way - too far to do inspections.

My .02.

Merlin

Wyattearp

I agree Albin, not sure if Joe has any trucks at this time but for sure here is the best place to pick up a truck, fellow deucer's know what they got and take care of it. i hope next spring that other truck i was told about will be up for sale, they might since the front sprague is shot, as DR was telling me the mechanical functions of the sprague, very weak design for sure.

M1075

One thing to remember guys: GL is not selling only military vehicles. They handle virtually all NSNs. They could not be expected to know/inspect everything they are selling. If they did that, the prices would really be ridiculous. The onus (sp?) is on the buyer to inspect (like most auctions). This isn't ebay! That said, I do not like GL and highly recommend that all newbies stay the hell away. I was bidding on a trailer which I thought would sell for less than $1000 and at the last minute I was bid up to over $5000. I wanted it bad, so I got it. I have always thought there was some shell bids going on!

Warren Lovell

The buyer needs to do his homework. I've inspected and won some pretty nice stuff from GovL. There is no possible way they can know the condition of every item they sell and if you read carefully, it will tell you this.

BTW, if you bid within the last 15 minutes, the auction will automatically set another 15 minutes on the auction time.

Warren

h1crwchf

Picked up today!

I picked up one of my Deuces today from GL. I inspected it a few weeks ago, bid on it, won it, and drove it home today! Man this sucker sings!! All I did was check all fluids, belts, hoses, bleed brakes, change batteries, and she started right up!! Only downside, I got a flat, ran over a nail and it punctured the tube. Forgot my lug wrench so $56 bucks later, I was on my way. It was a 4 hour ride home and I was grinning the whole way!!!

Elwenil

It should also be noted that having a truck on GL that is in running condition appears to be a rarity. I believe most are drained of all fluids, including brake fluid, so there is no way to even fire them up to test them in most cases. I don't buy anything I can't test drive unless it's a totally smoking deal, which there doesn't seem to be many of on GL.

h1crwchf

Just have to look for yourself to be sure...

Elwenil said:
It should also be noted that having a truck on GL that is in running condition appears to be a rarity. I believe most are drained of all fluids, including brake fluid, so there is no way to even fire them up to test them in most cases. I don't buy anything I can't test drive unless it's a totally smoking deal, which there doesn't seem to be many of on GL.
You are right, trucks at auction that are running is a rarity. Out of the 18 trucks I have screened over the last few weeks only two fired up with out help, the other 16 all had dead batteries. I jumped about four or five of the others and they fired right up (drove one home last Friday).
I have screened 40+ trucks East of the Mississippi in the last year looking for the "right one" and I can say that everyone of them had fluids (mine had a full tank of fuel to boot). The only trucks I saw that were purposely drained were the wrecked/salvage vehicles and some of those were marked "drained". The only exception to the fluids is the coolant. A very few of the trucks I have looked at had bad radiators (rusted out at the bottom mounting bracket) and of course no fluid in them.
My point to anyone thinking of getting a Deuce (or any vehicle) is screen the truck closely and do it in person! By screening I mean look at the truck don't just kick the tires and lift the hood! If you screen it closely yourself you will most likely be fine.

One more suggestion:
A few of the trucks I looked at had been "recently" picked at. If you are going to bid on a truck for the first time and have never submitted an EUC, try bidding on something cheap that requires an EUC first.
My first EUC took five weeks. I didn't want to win a truck and let it sit around for weeks while other people take parts off it to get theirs road worthy. I bid on 5 bayonetes, submitted my first EUC, five weeks later I had them. When I won my truck at auction my EUC took 7 working days!! My truck was in the exact condition as when I screened it.

rdixiemiller

That is excellent advice. I won an engine in a can, the EUC took almost 3 weeks. Unless you know the on site manager at DRMO in person, he will not watch your vehicle to make sure it is not cannibalized. I am not sure that some managers do not take a little "graft" to get to strip parts off another vehicle.

Re: drained vehicles. All vehicles from the Poeple's Republic of Massachusetts will have batteries removed and all fluids (except brake fluid) drained. That is to protect the environment for the fine citizens of Mass. There may be other localities that have similar rules.

I purchased one of these vehicles from GL. After replacing batteries and all fluids we hit the starter and she fired and stated before the engine even completed one rev.

I have purchased and driven home three vehicles, an M35A2, an M185A3 and an M1009, from GL. The first duece only needed the batteries charged, the second was the drained truck and the CUCV only needed fuel. The first duece actually had most of the BII in the tool box, I have never seen this before or since.

I did inspect all of these vehicles before I bid. The dueces could not be stated but I did run the CUCV.

Yes, I am lucky enough to be about one hour form Letterkenny. It's nice to be able to look before bidding and even better to not have to pay high shipping costs.

I have been around since before tha board troubles, but, somehow, when I signed back in my screen name got changed from Army S4 to jld66.

mangus580

Army S4.... my guess is, that you had 2 names listed in the data... and I chose the column that had teh jld66 name :) I can fix it if you would like, but spaces are not allowed in names... so it would look like this army_s4

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the subject of previewing and starting vehicles. I always carry a CUCV and M880 key with me wherever I go. Never know when one might be needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks