• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP MTVR cab parts

HonezOUT

Several of the GP MTVR's recently seem to be in good shape, they mostly all run. However they are missing the roof and upper door parts. Some were up-armored, some not.
Did anyone buy an MTVR missing the top of the cab? Wondering if it is even worth buying one in that condition. Is it possible to find the roof parts? Or are those just as impossible as finding the doors? Thanks for any input. Hopefully its not a complete dead end. I am wondering if I can scavenge stuff from a base DRMO as well.

HonezOUT

I guess the only solution is to risk it on a GP auction with one that has a cab. I saw today they put one back on there that I bid on last month. Not sure why it’s back, but it has a cab and doors. Only bad part is it’s missing a drive shaft, and it obviously hit something hard in the front. A bunch of bent metal by the front axle and bumper area. I am assuming those pets would be easier to find.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I guess the only solution is to risk it on a GP auction with one that has a cab. I saw today they put one back on there that I bid on last month. Not sure why it’s back, but it has a cab and doors. Only bad part is it’s missing a drive shaft, and it obviously hit something hard in the front. A bunch of bent metal by the front axle and bumper area. I am assuming those pets would be easier to find.
Buy two at auction. One for the doors and top, then use the other for the other parts that weren't in a crash of some sort. Kinda sucks, but there won't be a new found stash of doors back in a corner somewhere. If that happens, somebody will be going to Leavenworth.

GTUnit

The transmission was removed since bolts are missing. Its a lot more than a missing driveshaft. You need to scan all the photos carefully.

HonezOUT

I looked at all of the pictures. I know the majority of what I am looking at(major parts), but not what it should look like. I think the major issues were the front end damage and that driveshaft. I am more worried about being able to get it up onto a truck bed. I looked back at it and It did look like it had some missing bolts on the trans. I don't honestly know what that means for the trans. I am assuming it can move since they move them around. But I really would just want it for parts and that cab. Also odd some of the other trucks they don't show the trans mounted to the engine like they did on that one. I am assuming the cab MTVR's sell pretty high though since most of them have the collapsible tops removed.

GTUnit

I looked at all of the pictures. I know the majority of what I am looking at(major parts), but not what it should look like. I think the major issues were the front end damage and that driveshaft. I am more worried about being able to get it up onto a truck bed. I looked back at it and It did look like it had some missing bolts on the trans. I don't honestly know what that means for the trans. I am assuming it can move since they move them around. But I really would just want it for parts and that cab. Also odd some of the other trucks they don't show the trans mounted to the engine like they did on that one. I am assuming the cab MTVR's sell pretty high though since most of them have the collapsible tops removed.
They sell high when they are running. Unknown trans issue... not so much.

HonezOUT

I know that one with the cab is up for auction again. The winning bid was 15,000 last time. Not sure why it is back up again, I guess whoever won backed out? Unknown trans issues, missing driveshaft, and no idea how much actual front end damage there is. I will be watching it today for sure.

HonezOUT

There are 4 up for auction next Wednesday. 3 have cabs and doors, they were the unarmored MK23. One looks great only issues is it has no oil filter, radiator cap is missing, overflow coolant is empty as well. I am assuming that engine is busted? surely the cooling system is empty and rusted out. The other truck has front end damage and is missing a bunch of gauges. Is picking one of these trucks always a roulette game?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are 4 up for auction next Wednesday. 3 have cabs and doors, they were the unarmored MK23. One looks great only issues is it has no oil filter, radiator cap is missing, overflow coolant is empty as well. I am assuming that engine is busted? surely the cooling system is empty and rusted out. The other truck has front end damage and is missing a bunch of gauges. Is picking one of these trucks always a roulette game?
Yes. Cause they literally are worn out usmc junk. Why they were redlined

HonezOUT

Fair point. I figured some were because they were old or they got new stuff. But a lot have low miles/hours. A lot of these just sit at the logistics base until they get processed out and sold to RB. I know Albany is over 6-7 months behind right now. I wonder if anyone has gotten an MTVR with cooling system issues, etc. guess I will be searching around the forums.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fair point. I figured some were because they were old or they got new stuff. But a lot have low miles/hours. A lot of these just sit at the logistics base until they get processed out and sold to RB. I know Albany is over 6-7 months behind right now. I wonder if anyone has gotten an MTVR with cooling system issues, etc. guess I will be searching around the forums.
Most out of Albany when they first came out in 2019 or whenever with open systems had cylinders full of water.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gees is that from rain water in Albany or hurricane damage? God I would be nauseous if I finally got one of these and the engine was full of water.
Keep shopping. You might eventually find something better. OR, you might buy one with doors and a top and a maybe cab that is mostly intact. Then find another truck that claims to run in the auction report. Put the parts together, and sell off the extra parts and possibly get some of your money back...

Remember too that military trucks aren't regulated like civilian vehicles. The speedometer and/or hobbs (hour) meter can be replaced "at will". Those gauges can be replaced and there is no "reporting" requirement on the numbers on those meters. In other words, ignore those numbers.

Another possibility is to buy yourself a running 7-Ton (Mk23, Mk25) or some of the others like Mk28, Mk29, Mk30, Mk31, Mk36, Mk37 from a private individual. The truck will most likely be running. You should take it for a test drive. You should expect to pay for the fuel and plan on several hours. Espect to have the owner in the truck with you for obvious reasons. Obviously, you will pay more money but there is less to gamble on. You ABSOLUTELY MUST test drive it and I would say it would be worth PAYING somebody with experience with those Oshkosh trucks to inspect it for you.

HonezOUT

Keep shopping. You might eventually find something better. OR, you might buy one with doors and a top and a maybe cab that is mostly intact. Then find another truck that claims to run in the auction report. Put the parts together, and sell off the extra parts and possibly get some of your money back...

Remember too that military trucks aren't regulated like civilian vehicles. The speedometer and/or hobbs (hour) meter can be replaced "at will". Those gauges can be replaced and there is no "reporting" requirement on the numbers on those meters. In other words, ignore those numbers.

Another possibility is to buy yourself a running 7-Ton (Mk23, Mk25) or some of the others like Mk28, Mk29, Mk30, Mk31, Mk36, Mk37 from a private individual. The truck will most likely be running. You should take it for a test drive. You should expect to pay for the fuel and plan on several hours. Espect to have the owner in the truck with you for obvious reasons. Obviously, you will pay more money but there is less to gamble on. You ABSOLUTELY MUST test drive it and I would say it would be worth PAYING somebody with experience with those Oshkosh trucks to inspect it for you.
thank you for your input! I would buy one from a private individual. But I don’t ever see anyone selling them. Or they are no where near me. I guess I could wait on a gem to come out of GP on Feb 29th haha. I saw that quote way back in the MTVR forums here. What a rabbit hole of knowledge.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
thank you for your input! I would buy one from a private individual. But I don’t ever see anyone selling them. Or they are no where near me. I guess I could wait on a gem to come out of GP on Feb 29th haha. I saw that quote way back in the MTVR forums here. What a rabbit hole of knowledge.
Yes sir. I find some really cool stuff on the other side of the country. Most of the time the cost for shipping ruins it, but eventually fuel prices will come back down. Like that comment about February 29th too. :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are a few but even then it won't be cheap. Especially knowing you can get 10k for a pair of doors. 5k for the top cab section or 8k for the cab without doors. 10 to 15k for a good engine cause it has low Miles. 8k for the Allison and it's harness and computers. 4k for a transfer case.

HonezOUT

I wasn't looking for cheap necessarily. Just GP is the only reliable source that I can find to get them. Even if all of them are either stripped or busted. Its a shame, that GP one they just posted( 7852035 ) looks really good but there is no way that engine is in good shape. How did you guys pick one? just looking at pictures and hoping to get lucky? Any posts I missed about picking MTVR's?
Looks like they have a full lot of these trucks judging by the pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks