• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPS in a deuce

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So in addition to checking speed, I'd like to have an electric map available. What (brand) have you used and what size screens have you used.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garmin makes good stuff. Tom Tom will get you lost quick. Screen size is always - the biggest your wallet can handle.

dm22630

I have owned 6-7 different GPS units....and the Magellan 1212 is the BEST one that I have ever used. It is also the CHEAPEST!

Amazon.com: Magellan RoadMate 1212 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

Doesnt block your field of vision, has tons of points of interest, DOES NOT FREEZE UP RANDOMLY (like every other gps I have owned). I bought this exact same one at Costco around Thanksgiving & it has been on & in my truck ever since. I have not turned it off once & it has never froze.

I bought the 1212 for my parents for Christmas & they are on a 5 week cross country vacation right now & tell me EVERYTIME I talk to them "that we dont know what we would do without this!".

Buy a 1212. It is the cheapest & most reliable GPS I have ever owned or used.

2cents

tdoskey

Garmin Nuvi 660 wide screen 4.3 ". Mine is two years old and it has been great. It is a discontinued model now but you can go to:
Home
and compare. Sams club has a nice Garmin that you can talk to. It is about 400.00.
I am new to SS and am waiting on my EUCs so I am new at this but remember the Garmins require 12vdc and the deuces are 24v so I am guessing you will have to run a two strand wire direct to one of the batteries terminating in the cab with a cigarette lighter type socket. Don't forget to put an inline fuse.
Hope this helps.
Tim

gimpyrobb

Thanks Tim, welcome to the site. I have a 24v-12v converter, wiring to one of the batterys will kill both of them. Garmin has come highly reccomended, might have to try the Magellin though. Westy, what did you get? I want to make sure I know what NOT to get. :twisted:

tdoskey

robb, thanks for the correct info on the 24-12 volt issue. What is the brand of your converter? And where can I get one. I am going to need one as I plan to do the same thing with my Garmin.
Tim

gimpyrobb

Mine is a higher current unit i got from Headwizard here on this site. I think its 30amps(and USA made) & able to keep a 12v batt charged. I'm sure the price has changed, but I got it 2 yrs ago for $200. If this is all you'd be running 12v, look for a cheaper dc-dc converter(24-12v). nThere are some that feel a battery equalizer is superior as they keep both batts at the same charge/voltage. Might want to read up on those too. Personally, I like the converter.

wsucougarx

I have a widescreen TomTom and absolutely love it over my Magellan. Plus the TomTom's come preloaded with US and Canadian maps. Most of the other GPS's out there require you purchase them separately. Battery life is like 7 days before having to recharge the unit. No joke. I parked my deuce and 7 days later went to drive it when that optional voice command came over the GPS telling me where to turn, I just about drove off the road b/c I didn't expect to hear it. Plus my TomTom has traffic alert, it tells you what to avoid due to backups/traffic. Plus it came in handy when I was in an unknown area and it led me directly to a service station w/diesel....priceless

Last edited:

tacmedr17

lett KITT tell ypu were to go

I have a GARMIN but like the novelty of this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPV-B8TC7XY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Sumoman

So in addition to checking speed, I'd like to have an electric map available. What (brand) have you used and what size screens have you used.
Garmin as well. I have the Bluetooth as well as the traffic, both work great. Talking on the phone using the Garmin works well while driving in a normal car, fairly useless in the Deuce I am sure:-D

HeadWizard

Both the wife and I have the Magellan 1412 units, they are 4.3" wide and work very well. Bought at Costco for pretty cheap. We've used them on many trips with few issues.

Gimpy- thanks for the plug on the 24v to 12v DC-DC converters. You are correct on the specs listed and quite a few SS have them now. I still have some for sale. :-D

Don

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

powerhouseduece

One more vote here for Garmin! I forgot witch one it was but I made sure that it was a GPS with a good battery life, a loud speaker, speedo, and a big screen! Too bad all they had was red :evil: Ill just take the outside casing off and paint it green!

Attachments

Barrman

Chris,
I got this a few weeks ago. I read it while driving the M35 with it suction mounted to a MWO data plate between the gauges and dash storage area. Works good stuck to the M715 windshield as well.

I will be able to give you a better road trip report after I drive the M35 a few hundred miles with it this weekend.
Garmin nuvi 500

IHASFIP

Yea, well I am glad ya'll will stay on your windshield. I have the Garmin and if I git a decent bump it will come tumbling towards the floor, or any and all metal objects in the cab. And since EVERYTHING is metal, I am surprised the screen is still there. I have since opted to take it out, and not use it at all.

D

Chevytruck

if you want a bigger screen... get a used laptop and get GPS equipment for it.

you could probably get more use out of a $400 laptop than a $500 GPS

how fast can you say NETBOOK! ($300-400 new!) :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks