• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPW axle horrorshow

JGBallew

Customer brought in his "new" jeep for some inspection and other work.
Found the following when I got under it.Photo1434.jpgPhoto1435.jpgPhoto1438.jpgPhoto1437.jpg

Someone welded (badly) the steering arm to the knuckle housing.
That "bolt" I'm holding was dropped in the hole, and is actually an oil pan drain plug.

there's other serious issues, but this was a jaw dropper.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's standard practice down here in the jungle, but the drop in bolt is definitely over the top and the waste of a good bolt.

If the original problem is that the steering arm mounting threads are pulled out of the knuckles, then smoothing off the bubba welds and repairing them with new thread inserts will certainly be the ticket. No need for big ticket items...... yet!

Rick

JGBallew

Sorry for the slow reply, had a death in the family, then blew out my "good" knee.

I'm planning on lining up a serviceable axle, (Thanks for the offer Bazookajoe, I'll keep you in mind!) then tearing into the one on the vehicle to asess the damage. What I'm expecting is more of the same chicanery, but inside.

Yes, one weld is broken, one is "sound", (considering it looks like a typical "Chickenturd" done by someone abusing a stickwelder) so best case, I dress the gobs off, and rethread the studwells.

There is a lot that is just not right with this jeep, but considering it was used by a movie rental business, having it work for the camera took precedence over having it be right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks