• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grease...Green Grease

Crackerjax

Well I want to know if anyone here uses the produce Green Grease for there wheels and other lube points in their trucks I have been using it in my regular trucks for a long time but I cant seem to find out if its ok for MV's any input?

thanks

Josh

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that this will get me blasted by at least a dozen people, but grease is grease.

Seriously, I'm no petroleum engineer, but there are about as many different types of grease as "Carter has liver pills" At work we use specialty greases formulated to withstand the intense heat generated by a steel mill, and also use waterproof greases that will not wash out of the bearings when immersed in water. But if the grease works for you and your other trucks, then it should work just fine in your MV. A wheel bearing is just a wheel bearing, whether it's in a honda Civic, a Corvette or a deuce.

just my 2cents

poppop

Its the specs that mater and not the color of the grease. I used red grease on the farm for years and made a mistake and got black grease one time. I can't tell the difference. I do have a story to tell though. A traviling grease salesman stopped by the farm and told me his grease would stand up to sever shocks and stay in the bearing. He asked for some of my grease and put a dab on a steel block. He hit it with a hammer and it splattered everywhere. He then put his grease on the block and hit it with the hammer. Every bit of it stayed put and I bought a case of his grease. Several months later a different salesman stopped by with the same story. I got some of the high priced grease I had bought and gave it to him. He put it on a hammer head and hit it with another hammer. It splatered everywhere. He put his grease on the hammer and it stayed put. I ran his a?? off the farm. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing. If you angle the hammer when you hit the grease stays put, but if you hit it with a flat hit the grease will splatter, it does not matter whose grease it is.

WeBeJeepin

I have witnessed that same sales trick! Glad to know how it works. My opinion is that grease is grease, unless it is for a specific purpose like high temp or waterproof. Auto Zone sells different grease for chevys, fords, chryslers, etc and I betcha its all the same.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
really any high quality NON fiber grease will work, most if not all high pressure grease have all the nice additivities to make the grease stay and lube, the cheap ones will go away at low temps fast

Bill W

I just used Lucas HD ( green) grease on my rear wheel and spring seat bearings., Dang stuff is thick

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill W said:
I just used Lucas HD ( green) grease on my rear wheel and spring seat bearings., Dang stuff is thick
LOL...you wanna see thick, you should see some of the specialty grease we use in the mill. It's super high temp and waterproof (it's even green too). I swear to god, you could bounce that stuff like a rubber ball, it's that thick.

emr

yea, like oil alot of people just think WAY to much into it, I have 5 gal pails of Artillery , automotive grease for sale in northern NJ for 25 bucks a pail, just incase someone around here can use a bunch of grease, ...:-D... can bring to gilbert...there is absolutly no way a grease will not work in one vehicle and not another, no matter what grease one uses the most important thing is to use it, grease is cheap, so grease it and grease it again...:-D

Lex_Ordo

Kendall Blue grease. It's blue! Who would of thought.
Good High temperature grease. Wheel Bearings, u-joints, and all other grease fittings I can find.

Bill W

I don't think its a matter of grease is grease, its a matter in compatibility of mixing different grease's together

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Randy, I use GAA. I've found that it's a little harder to hand pack that more conventional grease but the stuff has never let me down. I bought somewhere around 10 pails of it from Wayne Harris over the years and have probably 3 left. I hope I can use it before the cans rust through. At the price I got it for, I'm so far ahead of the game, it's not silly.

bassetdeuce

LOL...you wanna see thick, you should see some of the specialty grease we use in the mill. It's super high temp and waterproof (it's even green too). I swear to god, you could bounce that stuff like a rubber ball, it's that thick.
Check out the NLGI 8 sodium based block grease that is used to lube the siderods of the old giant steam locos. That stuff is injected under extreme pressure and is SOLID.

For the deuce, or any other trucks I like Mystic red (NLGI 2). Just a lithium base with no moly.

anthony3478

Hey I sell green grease, lucas, valvoline, etc, etc at work I sell more lucas HD and lucas red to guys for construction equiptment, mostly everyone just wants a good name brand I think

aboonski

I paid dearly for two pails of GAA grease from a guy named Bagwell ($55.00 a pail plus shipping) but decided it was worth the expense to keep the correct lubricant in my lube trailer for use on my M35A2C & M1008 CUCV. I need to get with Kenny to see about buying a bunch of pails of GAA from PopPop and having them shipped to Florida somehow. Not sure how long the two pails that I bought will last but I do have to replace the knuckle boots on my deuce and I know one pail is gone right there! Anybody planning a run to Florida from the Northeast?

jasonjc

Sh!t I most be doing some thing wrong as I've done 3 or 4 sets of knuckle boots and still have 2/3's of the 5 gal pail left. Plus 3 or 4 full sets (trucks)of wheel breaings. Now I've use 4-6 tubes also but thats not much. What have I done wrong?????????? Oh ya I've been useing msytic jt-7?? the yellow/amber looking stuff is this wrong too????

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any NLGI#2 grease will work just fine. Personally i use Marine grease. To keep water and mud from washing it out. Does it work anybetter? I don't know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks