• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great, now what did I do? (w/pictures)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to add....if you have A2 upper control arms, you will have to remove the upper ball joint to remove it, the newer control arm has a round support piece welded in...early version was just an add on that bolted on.
if you are replacing the entire hub, you will need 2 new ball joints...unless you can your old off with no damage to rubber boot....

vitamink

outstanding thank you.

In this situation, i have a completely rebuilt geared hub assembly. I figured i would be able to remove the 2 large cotter pinned castle nuts to drop the thing straight down after removing the half shaft and the steering arm cover. I have to reuse the side plate with the filler hole, as well as the half shaft and steering arm cover. I hope to not damage anything but as i'm new to this, and you mention that it's likely, i'm sure i will. I'll go order some parts...****.

The TM mentions, in the things you'll need section, "sealing compound" and "sealer" as 2 separate things. Later it mentions "anaerobic sealant" but i assume that's either #1 or #2 of the confusing terms listed. What should I look for at the auto parts store to fill these roles?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

vitamink

Its fixed and running fine! Thank you for all your help!

i still have a transmission leak and it seems to be sending more white smoke through the pipe than usual...but that'll be another thread i'm sure.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its fixed and running fine! Thank you for all your help!

i still have a transmission leak and it seems to be sending more white smoke through the pipe than usual...but that'll be another thread i'm sure.
Huh? Tranny Leaks have nothing to do with White Smoke.....unless your working on your tranny leak while smoking a Cigarette.

nattieleather

White smoke generally means antifreeze issues with the motor. Might want to look at that instead of the transmission. Trans leak is usually a sign of the truck marking its territory.

vitamink

I should have phased that better, what i meant to say is this:

I have two problems left to tackle, my transmission leak, and the fact that my engine sends up white smoke for about 5 minutes when it starts (if thats an issue at all). Sorry for the confusion. Tomorrow i'm replacing a brake line, a bad input seal, a couple bolts that have fallen off, and some other odds and ends.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the White smoke smell like? How hard is the truck to start? does the wait light come on as it should for about 7-10secs?
check all your glow plug connections, check all your glow plugs...or it could be coolant....and thats bad.
It is NOT normal....

vitamink

I'll take a video after it's sat for a day, so you can see. I'll start a new thread on it when its had a day or two to sit before starting it. Transmission leak is now fixed! Thanks everyone for their help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How were the other 3 hubs?

TehTDK

White smoke could be nothing but water vapour. Someone once told me the various exhaust colours and what it meant, but I can't remember right now.

vitamink

The other three hubs were mostly full so i'm glad i didn't do any long term damage on those. I did add a little fluid to the other three but not much. I just bought an input seal for the rear diff so i'll be swapping that soon and she'll be completely drip free (yay me).

As far as the smoke goes it's only when you start it. It basically sounds normal while idling but every so often the engine will shudder and send out a puff of white smoke. Once you drive it it's fine. You can even drive it then let it idle and its fine. Its just when it first starts up.

vitamink

Oddly enough it has stopped smoking the last few times i've started it. I was hoping to get a video for you guys, but there doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I let it sit for a week assuming that whatever may be pooling up would do so then get burned off.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...if you have a crack or fracture, its worse at startup cuz the metal is cold and as the Metal gets hot and expands the crack or fracture closes up.
If its a GLow plug issue it would happen at cold starts as it tries to burn off excess unburnt fuel.