• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess I won me a Deuce today

bc35339

You might have read I won truck 44 and I have another one sitting in frankfort from the last sale that Im waiting to pick up.I also have another on in San Antonio I won but I am waiting on my EUC. I went to look it over after I won it and it has no brakes and the engine appears to be seized. It does have almost new tires on it but I wish I had not won that one.
No top at all, no cargo cover, one broken windshield but I got it for $980. We tried to push start it but no luck. And there was a bad noise coming from the passenger side front axle. Guess this will be my parts truck.

I plan to drive to Frankfurt in a small car and take a tow bar with me. Ideally, I want to put the little car (Saturn) in the bed of one and tow the other. Anything wrong with this plan?[/

Did the truck with the bad motor say didnot start? i hope that dont happen to me . Always hate to hear stories like that.

How many miles it it for you??
Ive never pulled one with a towbar nor do I have one but if I come across 1 before I pick mine up I might do the same. I think the last time I was on base I seen a loading dock you might want to bring some sort of ramps incase its not thr right height.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

You might have read I won truck 44 and I have another one sitting in frankfort from the last sale that Im waiting to pick up.

I also have another on in San Antonio I won but I am waiting on my EUC. I went to look it over after I won it and it has no brakes and the engine appears to be seized. It does have almost new tires on it but I wish I had not won that one.
No top at all, no cargo cover, one broken windshield but I got it for $980. We tried to push start it but no luck. And there was a bad noise coming from the passenger side front axle. Guess this will be my parts truck.

I plan to drive to Frankfurt in a small car and take a tow bar with me. Ideally, I want to put the little car (Saturn) in the bed of one and tow the other. Anything wrong with this plan?
Yeah; getting the car in the bed of the truck. This site doesn't have any cranes available like other sites do. The second issue I see is driving the truck that far without a registration, unless you are able to register these without a title? Here we can't so it is a renegade dash for home. Hopefully we get a few trucks headed in the same direction and pretend to be a convoy. :-D

If you need a place to park the trucks to re-group I can find room at my place for them and then I have my convoy as long as our EUCs come through at the same time:-D I am about 20 miles east of frankfort.

greenjeepster

A bunch of trucks have been moved up close to the road. I went by this morning and took this shot, Must be the trucks loading out this week or they got a bunch more in. They were lined up for as far as I could see from the fence.

Attachments

greenjeepster

The pics of my Deuce shows the driver side steer tire is flat. What size socket will I need to get the wheel off and change it out? Do these tires have tubes in them?

I don't know what the lug size will be but you would probably need an impact wrench to loosen them anyway. If you bring an air hose and air chuck and can get the valve off of the air tank you can screw the male end of the hose into the tank. If the truck will start you can air the tire back up.

number9

Spoke to Mark at GL today. He said I could come out this week Oct 15th between 10AM and 11:30AM (maybe 12:00PM at the latest) to look my truck over to see what I am going to need to get it out of there. Seemed like a real nice guy to deal with.

Wonder if they'd mind me taking some of my own pics of it? Or bringing a set of batteries to hook up and start it with (and take them with me when I leave of course)

Don't know if I should top it off with oil and coolant and check axles/tranny/t-case now or wait until I go to pick it up. Guess I need to at least check all that stuff and take notes of what I will need when I come to bring it home. Maybe I'll take an air hose to hook up to the glad hand and air that flat front tire up and see if it will hold air. OR....... would it not be safe to do so? ...... been reading about these safety ring wheels being man killers.

Heavysteven

"Don't know if I should top it off with oil and coolant and check axles/tranny/t-case now or wait until I go to pick it up. Guess I need to at least check all that stuff and take notes of what I will need when I come to bring it home. Maybe I'll take an air hose to hook up to the glad hand and air that flat front tire up and see if it will hold air. OR....... would it not be safe to do so? ...... "

Good questions. My lot is 6945 so I am going to be in the same situation has you.

Attachments

greenjeepster

I am going to come out too and see if he will let me go over the trucks, I don't understand why he told me the 23rd and the rest of you the 15th:?:

Yeah bringing a camera out is a very bad idea for security reason, you would be risking loosing the camera or at least the memory card:wink:

I would at least try and air the tire up.

tblackbu_77

I won a Deuce as well from Frankfort last week. Anyone know what the normal schedule for recoveries are ? I need to line up a time to bring my trailer.

Thanks Todd

JL628

Did the truck with the bad motor say didnot start? i hope that dont happen to me . Always hate to hear stories like that.

How many miles it it for you??
Ive never pulled one with a towbar nor do I have one but if I come across 1 before I pick mine up I might do the same. I think the last time I was on base I seen a loading dock you might want to bring some sort of ramps incase its not thr right height.
I'm only about 80 miles from San Antonio. So it won't be too far to get that one home.

It didn't say it did not start. It said, "Dead battery" I gambled on that and lost. The motor appears to be seized. But, the sheet metal looks good and all the tires look nearly new. Not a complete loss.

JL628

Yeah; getting the car in the bed of the truck. This site doesn't have any cranes available like other sites do. The second issue I see is driving the truck that far without a registration, unless you are able to register these without a title? Here we can't so it is a renegade dash for home. Hopefully we get a few trucks headed in the same direction and pretend to be a convoy. :-D

If you need a place to park the trucks to re-group I can find room at my place for them and then I have my convoy as long as our EUCs come through at the same time:-D I am about 20 miles east of frankfort.
That might be a nice option for me if you have room. I could maybe get one to take home and leave one until I can come back and get it.

JL628

Yeah that is no problem. What makes you think the other truck is seized? Could just be vapor locked.
When I went down to look at it, we tried to push start it. Even in 3rd gear, the engine would not turn. And there were weird noises coming from the passenger side front axle. Bad bearing? dragging brake? Bad cv joint?

I'll have to wait until I get it home to check it out.

greenjeepster

With the majority of the weight of these trucks setting on the front axle It would not surprise me that the engine did not turn over when pulled. Remember these are high compression ignition engines. If the pressure of turning the engine over is greater than the force on the rear wheels, the wheels will slide before the engine turns. Unfortunately in these the front axles are air engaged so without air pressure it will not engage, so you are unable to try it with the front axle locked in.

TIGERFANS2

I am going to come out too and see if he will let me go over the trucks, I don't understand why he told me the 23rd and the rest of you the 15th:?:

Yeah bringing a camera out is a very bad idea for security reason, you would be risking loosing the camera or at least the memory card:wink:

I would at least try and air the tire up.
Attached was taken on a Guard base in Iowa. If you're concerned that the Guard guys are concerned about pictures being taken of DRMO'd trucks then ask permission.

Attachments