• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck Brutus.

Danger Ranger

Oh no, what does that mean? I hope you continue this thread. Believe it or not a good number of us appreciate the history in one form or another. Personally I want to see your build continue and take form.
:lost:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
subscribed to this fine trend a building a gun truck. meet vt up in tenn at one of the gun truck rallys.. a good man with a noble project

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I hope she's ready for the 2014 Gathering Jeff.:naner:

Looks like it's going to be held here in Columbus, Georgia and I know there will be lots of folks glad to see your work.:beer:

vtdeucedriver

I updated myself on this thread from page one. Guess I can fill in a update with some news. The mentioned "Sgt. Bilko" in the first post is named Wayne Prescott. Wayne lived in RI where he grew up and left to serve his country. He would be one of the builders of Brutus, be awarded a Silver Star and returned home to attend college at the University of Vermont. Had a great couple of conversations on the phone, both being about Brutus and his old stomping grounds here in Burlington. At the time he was planning a trip to Vermont to see me and the truck when he fell ill. Wayne would pass away 2 months later last August.

vtdeucedriver

Had a good first chat before the new year with one of the drivers of BRUTUS in 1970. We talked about many things about the truck and I got a few stories as well. One of the convoys the crew noticed a tractor that had a trailer with brand new 11.00x20 rubber. So always on the look out, he slid right behind the trailer on departure and waited to make his move. At the climb of the first pass he slid into position to give the truck a little help up the pass with a nice push. Now bumper to bumper the crew went to work and climbed out over the gun box wall and down the hood with each one in position and one boarding the trailer. Six brand new tires were quickly "acquired" and tucked away inside the gun box by the crest at the top. A friendly wave from everyone including the tractor driver who was in appreciation for the push and not knowing his load was a bit lighter:)

Got to love the American GI.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Talked today for the first time with Ron who was driving the day they lost Larry Dahl. Great conversation and I got to fill in some gaps on the timeline that I have going.
one thing you will learn if you ever attempt to build one and want to be accurate. You will quickly find that no truck stayed the same. Each crew would be assigned and often do something different, it could be as small as painted details or weapons type or location changes. Some even went as far as name changes.
Many changes were for Brutus in its history but the name and it's script was never one of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks