• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck from Upstate New York to Columbus Georgia hard ride

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

Good luck with your trip. I wish had the time I would of loved to be the chase car. Is the wife second guessing the ride? Maybe you have to sweeten the pot a little. As the same as Howard offered, if you need a hand give me a shout.

Doug

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, I have two routes for you to chose. I have driven both, but it was as long as 25 years ago. Also, the US routes tangle and weave together, so at a couple of places, you will cross paths with the other route.

I have tried to avoid major cities, and all interstates. However, you will have to get on the Interstate at least twice, if you chose the easterly route. Also, some of the US routes have been upgraded to 4 lanes, and my have higher speeds then the normal 55.

Both routes start at Fredrick MD. Easterly route is 1st, Westerly is 2nd.
Fredrick MD US15s to Culpepper VA
US 15s Culpepper to Orange VA to Farmville VA, South to Durham/Chapel Hill(sorry, it will be a mess going thru). Then, US15s to Sanford NC Stay on US15/US1s to Aberdeen, then follow US15s to Laurinburg NC, Bennetsville SC, on to Sumter SC.

From Sumter, US15s to Summerton, where you have to get on I95 to cross the swamp. Then US301s to Orangeburg SC, Allendale SC, onto Sylvania Ga.

From Sylvania Ga, 301s to Statesboro, pick up US 80w to Dublin Ga.

From Dublin, follow US 80w to Danville Ga, where you will take Ga 96w to Bonaire Ga, Fort Valley, Butler, Geneva, and then Columbus Ga.

Westerly Route
Same as above until Culpepper Va. Then you will take US 29s to Charlottesville VA(sorry, another college town, many many traffic lights) Charlottesville VA to Lynchburg, Danville, and then Greensboro NC.

From Greensboro, take US421s to Sanford NC(sound familiar?), where you can pickup US1s. Stay on US1 south to Rockingham NC, Cheraw SC, Camden SC onto Columbia SC.
From Columbia SC, take I20 to bypass Columbia(trust me, a lot better then going into town) I would stay on I20 to Augusta Ga, where I would pickup US 1s again.
From Augusta, US1s to Louisville Ga, pickup US 221S to Bartow Ga, where you pick up US 319s to Dublin Ga.

From Dublin, follow route as above to Columbus GA.

If you decide on the westerly route, you have many SS members in Columbia, and I am down the road in Aiken. I will also have to give you detailed instructions concerning Augusta- it will make the trip a lot easier. As for trip time- It is 4-5 hours from Aiken to Columbus by MV.

Last edited:

CommoChief

John....I know it is early in your trip but if you have any trouble near Binghamton
give Kyle and I a yell 607-426-6121.

Our thoughts & prayers are with you for a safe trip
and some R & R. Stay Alert and Stay Safe.

Bill

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone would like to pass their info to John send him a PM and if you would please copy me. He has my info I can help coordinate assistance if need be.

I have copied out the phone numbers already given but it never hurts to have more. :)

sw

goldneagle

Best I can suggest is putting a air ride seat in there. Best mod for any MV. If you use a 1/8" plate on the bottom of the air ride seat you can swap it out with the springer in a few minutes. (use the existing plate on the springer as a template.)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Correction - Zout is a confirmed idiot and there for less coming onto SS to do anything
No. You're not an idiot...and by not coming on SS and contributing you are costing us a lot of knowledge and experience. So...poopoo on your post!:beer:

Now...back to the thread.

zout

MY OFFER for shower - stop over - rest - CROWN - CHOW and awesome quarters to make the last stretch still stand - PM'd Swbradley as he suggested so John has the info as needed - that is what heck of a ride for an awesome individual and my SALUTE to him for partaking in it. They just do not build folks like that anymore folks who think they can or to make it easier need to take a lesson from John - at the Gathering I am sure they can get a free lesson of a tough individual that would put most of us to shame. I know I am bringing my guntruck book to hopefully have him sign it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like a pretty good turnout for the Gathering.

Ace of Spades, Untouchable, Black Widow, Psychotic Reaction, Proud American, Aces & Eights, and Ugly Ranger Guntrucks.:goodjob:

Expected body count is 250-300 folks...not counting local drop ins.

Unfortunately, every year the number drops as Brothers fall or can no longer travel but are there in spirit.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam and i should be there Friday-Saturday. What is the favored hotel, and how much a night?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Unfortunately the Holiday Inn where the Gathering is being held has been sold out for several weeks. At this late date I suspect it would be best to just go on line and search around for an available room. You could also call the number for the hotel below in hopes they have a cancellation and you can sneak in.

Just so everyone knows, Friday is probably the best day to meet and greet the Transportation Folks and Guntruckers as that's the only day they will be static at the Hotel, and Saturday folks will just hang around until they decide to hit the road.

Also, due to limited display/parking areas it's best if folks just bring a POV or small MV instead of deuces etc.

The actual location of the Gathering is:

Holiday Inn
2800 Manchester Expressway
Columbus, Georgia 31904
Ph # 706-256-1154

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116768-Guntruck-gathering-xii(12)

Last edited by a moderator:

jatonka

Boy, I'm glad I got my room a while back!!!! Aces & Eights is ready and raring to roll south, tomorrow at 02:30 we roll from Ephratah towards Columbus.

Because of all the support, good wishes and prayers coming for The Steel Soldiers, I am not scared or nervous, I did the PM on the truck, I've got parts and tools, and we are ready to go.

I hope I don't need any of the help you all have offered, but I have all the phone numbers or emails on paper and I will call or email if I develope trouble.

Expect to run I-88 to I-81 through NY to PA, down to at least Harrisburg PA, then I will know if we will stay Interstste or switch to US and State Highways.
I will post daily on this thread as to our whereabouts!!

Special thanks to Zout, EMD567, SWBradley and always PapaBear, I will be in touch with you by phone asap, John T

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Boy, I'm glad I got my room a while back!!!! Aces & Eights is ready and raring to roll south, tomorrow at 02:30 we roll from Ephratah towards Columbus.
Because of all the support, good wishes and prayers coming for The Steel Soldiers, I am not scared or nervous, I did the PM on the truck, I've got parts and tools, and we are ready to go.
I hope I don't need any of the help you all have offered, but I have all the phone numbers or emails on paper and I will call or email if I develope trouble.
Expect to run I-88 to I-81 through NY to PA, down to at least Harrisburg PA, then I will know if we will stay Interstste or switch to US and State Highways.
I will post daily on this thread as to our whereabouts!!

Special thanks to Zout, EMD567, SWBradley and always PapaBear, I will be in touch with you by phone asap, John T
Gosh...you old fellers never give up thinking you are invincible!!:roll::beer: I think Sammy plans to haul the Ace of Spades to my place and then drive her to the hotel.
I'm sending an ST truck/trailer to Florida tomorrow to pick Black Widow for Ron and bring to the compound.

I recommend you just stick to the interstates and try to maintain 50MPH wherever possible. Just stay in the right lane.:naner:

You have my cell # Brother...call me if Murphy shows up and I'll send some of the CAMO Crew up to kick his a$$.:papabear:

I love this time of year in case ya haven't noticed. Guntrucks and Transportation Line Haulers are moving from several states and they all converge in one spot!!:jumpin:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks