• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Trucks to Carlisle

B3.3T

If its going to be in the Midwest in 2011, why not Dayton, OH August 4-6, along with the MVPA National Convention? Thousands more would be able to see it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The Guntruckers have a planning committee that coordinates stuff and I'm not part of that process...and don't wanna be. Too much work and those Guntruckers are some strong willed men...read that as they all have the best ideas...LOL:-D But...there is not a better bunch to be with once they all Gather.

You make a good point B3.3T and I think that was considered. I cannot answer other than that.
I will say however...I am personally tickled pink about the choice of Louisville.

B3.3T

I sure will not be going. Passing up one of the very best MVPA Conventions is not in my plans. If their goal is to grow and gain greater participation from the MV public, this appears very counter-productive. I can understand maintaining a certain exclusivity, but a separation within easy reach would be a win-win. I would have liked to attend with a V-100, and the distance for me is easily done. Oh, well.

B3.3T

AM General, just out of curiosity I did a quick mileage check. Morganton/Carlisle = 464mis. Morganton/Louisville = 413 mi. Maybe not as much closer than you thought?

WarrenD

A few of my thoughts. Looking back a few years, the MVPA Annual Convention dates have varied while the Gathering seems consistantly the first weekend of Aug. Speaking for my own self, I appreciate any group that holds an annual event keeping it at a time slot I can count on well in advance.
While I agree that it would be nice to get everything together in one place (or at least not have competing events within a given market area) I would suggest that the GT bunch have their Gathering more like a reunion than a public display, ie, getting the word out is important, but it seems to me it's more about the comraderie amongst the GTers. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, these are my thoughts based on my observations from the 2010 Gathering. I'm sure PB or Driver will chime in.
I don't think that the way things are scheduled for 2011 will have a major impact on either event. Again, speaking for my own self, I'll be at the Gathering if at all possible but have no plans to attend the MVPA convention unless they have it closer to the NE.

Driver523

Well??? The Gathering is a VietNam Transportation veteran reunion and just grew into more and more vehicles, I decided a few years back when more gun trucks were built that it would be nice to invite any and all that had an interest in the trucks and vehicles we used, so I started posting to all I thought would enjoy---and then we were lucky to have some of the members here start to bring their trucks and it only got better, I no longer organize the Gathering---I handed it over to some ladies that are doing a great job, besides----with these two deals being seperate we have two instead of one, and I'll have nothing to do with cheating someone out of another function---LOL------------ Driver

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
A few of my thoughts. Looking back a few years, the MVPA Annual Convention dates have varied while the Gathering seems consistantly the first weekend of Aug. Speaking for my own self, I appreciate any group that holds an annual event keeping it at a time slot I can count on well in advance.
I would suggest that the GT bunch have their Gathering more like a reunion than a public display, ie, getting the word out is important, but it seems to me it's more about the comraderie amongst the GTers. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, these are my thoughts based on my observations from the 2010 Gathering. I'm sure PB or Driver will chime in.
I don't think that the way things are scheduled for 2011 will have a major impact on either event. Again, speaking for my own self, I'll be at the Gathering if at all possible but have no plans to attend the MVPA convention unless they have it closer to the NE.

Well spoken Sir...wish I had said that...like that;-)
The two events cannot...and should not be compared IMO.
These fellers (GT'rs) are in no way elitists or "better than thou" types...they just like to gather once a year...usually the 1st week of August and remember... and have some comraderie, re-live some history, and yes... heal some wounds that only they can help each other with....cause they were the ones there...then.

Some of you other Veterans of whatever war understand that..and the rest of us need to learn.

I, and the CAMO Crew got "adopted" by the Guntruckers because of "Uglyranger" on here, Driver523 and a few other good troops, and we built the Proud American Guntruck.

I know ALL the Guntruckers would love to see your V100 and to meet you Sir. They all speak highly of them...but since the Transportation units didn't get them...they had to harden/arm their own trucks...thus...the Guntrucks.

The MVPA is a super organization and I certainly understand your desire to participate in that event.
Maybe in years to come you can participate in a GT Gathering...but realize...time is getting short in most cases....these fellers are aging and are fewer each year.

The MVPA - SHOULD be around for some time.

As Papabear said, the two cannot be compared. It seems the MVPA is more of a carshow event while the Gathering is a reunion. My first Gathering had no trucks at all, just a bunch of good folks that had no idea who I was but greeted me as a brother, the same as we would anyone with an interest in the history Viet Nam Tranportation. I and others welcome the chance to tell the story of our special trucks and the job they had 40 to 45 years ago.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Warren...I'm sorry Sir...I have some memory issues...like CRS..LOL.

Are you the tall skinny feller that wore the jungle fatigues and took a bunch of pics at the 2010 Gathering??

WarrenD

Warren...I'm sorry Sir...I have some memory issues...like CRS..LOL.

Are you the tall skinny feller that wore the jungle fatigues and took a bunch of pics at the 2010 Gathering??
Yes Sir, you could describe me that way!!! (LOL) Regardless of what clothes I'm wearing (or not wearing, but we won't go there....) I usually have 2 cameras and an assortment of other photo stuff hanging off me.

gunboy1656

IMO it would best serve the gun truckers and the hobby in general to combine with the MVPA at least once, so the others in the hobby can learn from those who did the job, pass their knowledge off to the next generation who wants to build their truck to represent what they had and did.

How many times have you seen in Army Motors or MVM about the Gathering? It wasn't until last year I even knew about it.

WarrenD

IMO it would best serve the gun truckers and the hobby in general to combine with the MVPA at least once, so the others in the hobby can learn from those who did the job, pass their knowledge off to the next generation who wants to build their truck to represent what they had and did.

How many times have you seen in Army Motors or MVM about the Gathering? It wasn't until last year I even knew about it.
Well, let me tell ya a story. As far as Army Motors goes, I've been trying to contact David Doyle since Aug to get something (an article with pics, to be specific) in AM, but I never get a reply to my E-mails (I've kept in touch with Driver on this). As for MVM (Military Vehicle Magazine?) I'll be looking into that one as this is the first I've heard of it (remember, I'm kinda FNG to the MV stuff).

JTonka often has his tribute GT at the CT show and it's always a hit, so I agree that the GTs going to MV shows is something to be encouraged. OTOH, the Gathering is their reunion, so out of respect, they should be the ones to decide the where, when and hows of that event. Speaking for my own self, I'd love to see at least 1 GT at the MTA and Gilbert shows, Weare, Comvec, etc. Saying that, I realize that they are not cheap to run nor easy to transport so I understand why they don't get out more than they do.

Recht71

Warren Did you get a chance to watch the Dvd's I sent you. The Pic's from nam were taken with a small (Ricoh) camera i think thats how it spelled. The Pic's you sent and the combined pic's of the gathering 2010 everyone I sent them too liked them . Till later Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks