• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CA Hagerty Alternatives?

Penny Dreadnought

Hi! I was working on getting my 72 deuce insured with Hagerty, since that was the insurance she was under with the previous owner, and they told me that the truck needs to live in a garage. After a good laugh thinking of LA-area real estate prices and the barn I'd need to house this truck, they assured me that, no really--their California policies must be garaged. So... what do my fellow Californians do for insurance?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be tempted to look for a different carrier! Since they insured the truck before they do know what it is correct? Is this a CA thing, or just this carrier? There are thousands of trucks sitting around CA not in garages I wonder what makes your Deuce so different and obviously valuable? I think I would start shopping for a new carrier, this garage rule is ridiculous! Good Luck but I am sure that somebody will chime up and have more info for you!

Penny Dreadnought

I would be tempted to look for a different carrier! Since they insured the truck before they do know what it is correct? Is this a CA thing, or just this carrier? There are thousands of trucks sitting around CA not in garages I wonder what makes your Deuce so different and obviously valuable? I think I would start shopping for a new carrier, this garage rule is ridiculous! Good Luck but I am sure that somebody will chime up and have more info for you!
According to them, it is because it would be in California, and their California policies need to be garaged. I have a few friends of friends with MVs in CA who say they weren't told that so... *Shrug*

I wonder if anyone double-checked what the vehicle was before telling me that because like... I think her scrap weight might be worth more than what I paid...

CMPPhil

Hi
Pretty sure this is not a California thing with Hagerty, I have been told by Hagerty company representative that vehicle storage must be in garage or storage building that can be locked. When I first insured with them here in New Hampshire they required photos of the truck in the garage as I insured two more trucks they wanted photos of all three. They also asked if the building was insured, and was it on my own land adjacent home.

Over the years I've had various discussions with main office people from Hagerty about insurance for antique vehicles in one of those discussions it came out that building collapse and fire were among their highest payout causes.

Cheers Phil

Penny Dreadnought

Thank you all for your thoughts! I've also heard about InsureSmart from a friend, and I have another friend-of-a-friend who has his Pinzgauer on AAA--just in case it helps anyone looking at this thread later! <3

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was on the phone with Hagerty today looking for a quote for a M817 I'm looking at. Even through I have a pole barn to store it in, they denied because it is a dump truck and assumed I would be hauling stuff with it. Told them I would just be tooling around with it on my own property and perhaps go to the occasional show. Made no difference. Might just say screw it and pay the $500 / year uninsured motorist fee with the DMV instead.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagerty told me they only required the vehicle to be in a secure location, such as a locked/fenced area, preferably covered but not necessary.

I'm thinking state law may be coming in to play.

m715mike

Hagerty’s requirements vary by location. I’m guessing this is based on risk (i.e., mitigating the claims they have to pay).

Here’s a link to their website.

See the fine print:
“* Storage and driver eligibility are subject to underwriter review and to all applicable state and underwriting restrictions.”

Lonnie

I have cars insured with Hagerty & was told mine has to be in a garage also.
At the time, I did not have a place for mine so I looked elsewhere.

Their rates are based on $ value so insurance can be rather cheap.
Keep in mind, it is only covered for use during club functions, car shows & parades, not any form of daily driving.

martinv

I have Hagerty in MN and was not informed of any garage requirement when I signed up. I was out of options and was happy to find any legal means to drive my Deuce even if the policy covered nothing but allowed me to drive. You should ask "how about if my garage fits in my Deuce? Would that work?"

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just called a got a quote from Hagerty and Progressive on a MK23 I'm in the process of buying. Progressive was less money, about 1100.00 / year, with no garage requirements and no mileage restrictions for a commercial policy with comp / collision and 500,000 liability.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about CA, but in Louisiana, I use State Farm with a "classic vehicle" policy. I'm restricted to club/parade/non-daily use, but it's reasonable, I have towing/roadside and no restrictions on storage.

8madjack

I have Hagerty, when I originally signed up they asked to send pics of it in the garage, so I sent some inside pics. I'm on 32 acres and actually keep it by the house where I can look at it while drinking my coffee, my tractors are in the barn. It's never been an issue since.

I wouldn't mind putting up an awning or pole barn for it though to keep the weather from beating on it.

I like to keep it ready as it's primary job is as my on site fire truck

SgtMajHarper

I'm in The People's Republic of Colorado, I use Hagerty and also have to garage all of my vehicles, but I also would anyway. We live in hail alley and always get hail all around us, also the summers and winters tend to be brutal and really beat up anything left outside for long. I put in way too much time, sweat, money and sometimes blood into my machines to see them revert back to their beat down state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks