• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack project

M215

Looks great ! What did you do about armour?

Cheers,
Hello David,
I have all the front armor including doors and windshield armor, even have the complete rear floor with rear steps. Don't have the rear vertical side or rear pieces; the plan is to buy Gary's reproduction parts to complete what I don't have.

Wayofftrack

Hello Karl,

Halftrack project is looking good. From reading your updates it seems you decided not to convert the m3 frame into an M2 frame? What was wrong with the M3 frame, bent?
I'm about 6 months behind you on my m2a1. I just got the frame painted and should have the bogie support housing re-installed soon.

Clint

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl - awesome job on the halftrack. Invite me by for a brewski, I'd love to take a looksee at it.

Last edited:

M215

Halftrack

Hello Karl,

Halftrack project is looking good. From reading your updates it seems you decided not to convert the m3 frame into an M2 frame? What was wrong with the M3 frame, bent?
I'm about 6 months behind you on my m2a1. I just got the frame painted and should have the bogie support housing re-installed soon.

Clint
Hey Clint,
The M3 frame I started with was worn out. The biggest issue was the rear idler support posts were junk. After several unsuccessful attempts to remove the posts, the M2 frame became available. The M2 frame was in excellent condition, idler post had no wear, also came with an excellent bogie support housing too.

Good luck on your several projects.
Karl

Wayofftrack

Karl,
The rear idler posts were the only bolt on item I didn't remove from the frame. Mine seem ok but I thought about removing them anyway but after looking at the way they are mounted I can understand how you had a hard time with them.
Best of luck keep up the good work.
clint

M215

Halftrack

Karl,
The rear idler posts were the only bolt on item I didn't remove from the frame. Mine seem ok but I thought about removing them anyway but after looking at the way they are mounted I can understand how you had a hard time with them.
Best of luck keep up the good work.
clint
Clint,
Our original frames idler post / idler housings were so worn the rear idler sprockets were visibly toed in. This caused excessive wear on the rear drive and suspension. I was in the process of trying to remove the idler posts, had to cut the large inner nuts in half. Thought about using a port-a-power to push the posts out of the frame. Realistically I don't think they would have come out!

Karl

M215

Halftrack pictures

Hello SS,
Had a little time to add some up-dates of the halftrack progress.

Finished the front winch bumper. This was one of the most difficult parts to repair and time consuming, the original bumper was really twisted up. the front center section is made up from three different halftrack bumpers.

Re-installed the rebuilt motor, transmission / transfer and clutch / pressure plate.

next is the brake system, wiring and finally start on the armor.

Karl

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMAZING! Beautiful work! Your patience, skill, and effort are to be admired! Would be nice to be "closer" to stop by for that coffee, yet,,,,,,,, Please keep sharing with us here on SS! THANK YOU!
God bless!
Tony:)

M215

Hey Mike,
I have been really busy with work, not much time available for the projects. The halftrack is ready for start up and move under it's own power as soon as I remember to get some motor oil. Front fire wall, steering gear, brake system, radiator, air cleaner and plumbing are completed / installed. only a couple sections of engine armor are installed. Just moved the M215 to the back of the shop for winter. This allowed space for the halftrack rear floor to be moved towards the front. For grinding and painting I'll move it outside. The ordered repo armor pieces should be in next month. When are you stopping by to help?
Karl