• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

tsstout

KD0LSP here...

I don't remember this in the information I studied, so I'll ask just for a a better feel of it being incorrect....

Someone told me that we can't use RT/246 or RT/524's for ham because the bandwidth is to big...

Doesn't seem right to me....

Hightechken

KD0LSP here...

I don't remember this in the information I studied, so I'll ask just for a a better feel of it being incorrect....

Someone told me that we can't use RT/246 or RT/524's for ham because the bandwidth is to big...

Doesn't seem right to me....
Here is a link to the parts etc manual for the RT/246:
http://g838.org/g838_manuals/tm11-5820-401-34p-2-1.pdf

Here is a link to the ARRL band plan:
Band Plan

Which lists 50.3 to 50.6 Mhz as "Any mode" I am quite sure the RT/246 is legal to use in the 6 meter band, HOWEVER it is just so much easier to just use a radio like the Yaesu 8900 which is a nice small package, And also does two meters, UHF, And 10 meter FM if you wanted to talk on 6 meter simplex.

Old military radios are called "Boat anchors" for a reason....... It is really kind of "clunky" to actually use them.
I have found for the way I operate, I just get a non working (Cheap low cost) military radio that is "correct model" for the vehicle, Pull the guts out of it and cut and hinge the top so it opens, And then install a nice small multi band solid state ham radio inside........ Run the audio out through a military speaker and no one will know....... You could even install the modern day microphone element in an old original military mic housing if you really wanted it to look original.

(With the snip of a diode, Radios like the Yaesu FT8900 are capable of transmitting "out of band" in emergency situations so they could talk with VHF business band, MURS, GMRS, FRS, Marine, Military, etc radios)

A person could even install one of the little "DC to daylight" radios like an Icom 706 series, Yaesu FT857, etc and also have HF capability. So far I just use VHF and UHF in the vehicles with Yaesu FT8800 dual band radios, Which also cross band repeat to little shirt pocket size hand held radios.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we should keep Hightechken away from our green radios!:-x

Sure the '246 and others can be used on the ham bands they cover (by a ham). Their 50kHz steps don't coincide with some desirable frequencies, like 52.525 national simplex freq, but for talking to other green radios or the modern radios, 50 kHz steps work fine. 51 MHz is very commonly used for green FM radios. Modulation width / bandwidth is higher but that does not limit usage.

Bob

kastein

I think we should keep Hightechken away from our green radios!:-x

Sure the '246 and others can be used on the ham bands they cover (by a ham). Their 50kHz steps don't coincide with some desirable frequencies, like 52.525 national simplex freq, but for talking to other green radios or the modern radios, 50 kHz steps work fine. 51 MHz is very commonly used for green FM radios. Modulation width / bandwidth is higher but that does not limit usage.

Bob
my PRR-4 and PRT-9 (might have the numbers swapped!) are on 51MHz.

I really need to cut some crystals for other common 6mtr freqs for those.

JHoot51

Banned
I am trying to get educated in shortwave radio/Ham?
Bought a M109A3 and want to have an emp proof com. system in the back.
Is that even feasible?

JHoot51

JHoot51

Banned
radio questions

Is that even feasible?

JHoot51

Hightechken

Is that even feasible?

JHoot51
Not really. Even highly hardened military systems are still at risk. But with the very low cost of today's radios you can simply have a "spare" radio tucked away inside a metal container for use IF your regular radio was damaged. I would also install good lightning protection on your lines. (EMP is just like a lightning strike but with a much faster rise time) Something like a Kenwood TS2000 safely tucked away pretty much covers all the bands.

As I see it, The threat of EMP to radio equipment and vehicles is vastly overblown. However the threat to the U.S. power grid is very real.
Just who will we be talking with when the power grid has been down for months or years from an EMP event or even a strong solar event.

Emmett

Mabye Hightechken is right! I will just gut all of my MV's, install newer modern engines, guages, driveline, etc and all will be great!
My military radios work just fine and I plan on keeping them that way. Call me a "collector".

Jaz

Up to this point no; but have seen some really interesting gear that I would be interested in picking up if the price was right. I have no knowledge of any of this equipment so it would be a complete shot in the dark to aquire it, let alone operate it. I am just really getting my feet wet in this whole MV hobby/addiction and was reading the site when I came accross this thread and posted.

HORNETD

I havent read that trigraph encryption is not permited . Its plain text using gerated one time pads. Int all manual. What about Q and Z signals .

Kevin
The Gospel according to Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH; Who is the now retired Special Counsel for the Spectrum Enforcement Division of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau; is that any arrangement that effectively makes a message unintelligible to others who are using the same mode of emission is unlawful on the Amateur Radio bands of the USA. MARS however can make use of encryption because they are on Military Frequencies under Military auspices.

Q & Z signals are available in thousands of published lists so they do not have the effect of making the content of the signal unintelligible. Any encryption is in fact unlawful but not all encoding systems are encryption.
--
Tom Horne, W3TDH

HORNETD

Cq cq cq de w3tdh

W3TDH No green radio yet. I am an AE does anyone have a suggestion for what green radio I might begin looking for that will not cost thousands of dollars that I don't have.

--
Tom Horne

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WTH?? I just typed a great and very detailed reply to add to this and some little thing on the board popped up, the screen refreshed, and its gone. THWI I am not typing that all again.

O.D. Fever

I have a EMP proof British PRc 320 manpack radio with all the exrtas its a nice rig, 2 thru 30 megs A.M. CW and ssb 30 watts high power and 24 volts dc. I have talked all over the world on long wires at home and at the shop. Nice rig , the reciever kinda sucks, but if you can hear them , they can hear you. Joe WV8K

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wholeheartedly second that motion, Joe. A PRC-320 is a lot of radio for the money. Many are available right now for decent prices, but this opportunity will not last. Get a 'tested and guaranteed' one if you can. Since they come from Great Britain, shipping is a killer if you have to swap one out. Or, maybe find one in this country but expect to pay for the original shipping. Their weak point is the power supply.

Guess I have been lucky. Every one I have used had a great receiver. The PRC-320 does not normally have LSB on 75 or 40m, but modified ones are available that have LSB added.

For power, it's a good idea to use the DCCU (battery charger and power conditioner) rather than make a direct connection to a dirty vehicular 24v system. The DCCU's are available in 14v or 24v so a PRC-320 can also be used off a 12v system (using the 24v batt on the '320).

Bob WB4ETT

I have a EMP proof British PRc 320 manpack radio with all the exrtas its a nice rig, 2 thru 30 megs A.M. CW and ssb 30 watts high power and 24 volts dc. I have talked all over the world on long wires at home and at the shop. Nice rig , the reciever kinda sucks, but if you can hear them , they can hear you. Joe WV8K