• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Handle looking things on frame??

caliber1

There are vids on youtube of it. There is one vid about air drops gone wrong that you can see a deuce/5 ton that gets picked up off the ground by the chute and flipped over.
I was gonna go watch that, but I'd prolly get all teary eyed seein em flipped over.

Now seein Gimps flipped is another thing completely. LOL:shock:

KsM715

rustystud

The real answer is, in WWII a lot of trucks where sent oversea's in crates. The handles on the sides of the frame where to allow the soldiers to lift the frames into position, as the truck was reassembled. Years later the "powers that be" thought they would make good hold-downs , that is why you see the later hold-downs with a drop handle design instead of just a u-bolt . There is picture's I have somewhere in one of my many manuals showing them reassembling the trucks from the crates. I'll try and find them and post them.

rustystud

No one is going to comment on this post ? Usually by now there are multitudes of disagreements and arguments against what was said. Maybe no one has read this yet.
Wait, I see ColdWarrior has read it.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are some super cool pics. They don't seem so interested in using any handles though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No one is going to comment on this post ? Usually by now there are multitudes of disagreements and arguments against what was said. Maybe no one has read this yet.
I think most everyone is done arguing because the correct answer was posted here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-a-dumb-question&p=25053&viewfull=1#post25053, which I linked to all the way back on post #15 of this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ngs-on-frame&p=1028188&viewfull=1#post1028188

Cranetruck posted an actual page out of a TM, showing that they are for securing the truck to the "pallet" for air drops.

Everything before or after that is conjecture, guesses or misinformation.

If somebody's Brother's Uncle's best friend who was once a Private 60 years ago said the handles are for anything else, let that eyewitness produce a military TM showing their use. Otherwise, feel free to ignore them.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real reason no one rebuked your post is that most subscribers to this thread took the time to read the 80+ posts before yours and already KNEW "the rest of the story". IMHO.

rustystud

I think most everyone is done arguing because the correct answer was posted here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-a-dumb-question&p=25053&viewfull=1#post25053, which I linked to all the way back on post #15 of this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ngs-on-frame&p=1028188&viewfull=1#post1028188

Cranetruck posted an actual page out of a TM, showing that they are for securing the truck to the "pallet" for air drops.

Everything before or after that is conjecture, guesses or misinformation.

If somebody's Brother's Uncle's best friend who was once a Private 60 years ago said the handles are for anything else, let that eyewitness produce a military TM showing their use. Otherwise, feel free to ignore them.
But what year was that manual published ? I have the pictures somewhere of the troops actually carrying the frame rails for assembly. That one picture I posted shows the engine already installed. My father served in the Pacific in WWII and the pictures I'm trying to find are his. I think my sister got away with most of them. I'll have to ask. So my original statement that the handles where used to carry the frame is still valid unless that manual from cranetruck was from WWII .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But what year was that manual published ? I have the pictures somewhere of the troops actually carrying the frame rails for assembly. That one picture I posted shows the engine already installed. My father served in the Pacific in WWII and the pictures I'm trying to find are his. I think my sister got away with most of them. I'll have to ask. So my original statement that the handles where used to carry the frame is still valid unless that manual from cranetruck was from WWII .
While I'm not contesting your picture,, I'd be willing to bet that there are pics somewhere of the handles being used for something else during the WWII era. Wonder if any troops in the Pacific Theatre ever tied a local pet dog to one? If the frame had handles for this purpose, why didn't the cab, bed or axles? Cabs would be much easier to man handle if they had handles for the purpose. Same with cargo beds.

At this time it's all a moot point. The trucks referrred to in this thread weren't even designed during WWII. They came off the design table in 1949 and were in full production by 1951 so any pics from WWII aren't even related.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Obviously a G742/M44 manual would be post WWII.

If we're trying to prove the genesis of the handles by what they were used for in WWII, then we need..................... a CCKW TM. If the military put them on, they did it for a reason and that reason would be in the TM.

I would be very careful making assumptions about the intent of designers from 80 years ago. The idea that they would pay to design and build the handles, then spend the capital on labor and equipment to drill the frame and install them, all to make it easier for field mechanics to move the frames is tenuous. I've worked on enough stuff to know that designers and engineers rarely take the effort to make it easier on the mechanics who will service it down the line-anyone who has ever done a deuce injection pump or master cylinder knows this. rofl

I think it's more likely the handles had some other purpose and the field mechanics found that they happened to be useful, not that they would be useful for field mechanics and the engineers included them for that reason.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTEHas any one ever found/came up with the answer, for what the square holes are for in the sides of a M105 trailer? ][/QUOTE]

I have asked that question to the trailer experts at TACOM, where they are the be all end all experts to anything military trailer related. And they didn't know.. No kidding, that's the 100% truth.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Has any one ever found/came up with the answer, for what the square holes are for in the sides of a M105 trailer?
There is an ancient thread where no one ever found anything, so know one knows about that one.