• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Handle looking things on frame??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has any one ever found/came up with the answer, for what the square holes are for in the sides of a M105 trailer?
Great question, Wrong forum and thread!

Find an old thread on this and update it(not post it here).

rustystud

Obviously a G742/M44 manual would be post WWII.

If we're trying to prove the genesis of the handles by what they were used for in WWII, then we need..................... a CCKW TM. If the military put them on, they did it for a reason and that reason would be in the TM.

I would be very careful making assumptions about the intent of designers from 80 years ago. The idea that they would pay to design and build the handles, then spend the capital on labor and equipment to drill the frame and install them, all to make it easier for field mechanics to move the frames is tenuous. I've worked on enough stuff to know that designers and engineers rarely take the effort to make it easier on the mechanics who will service it down the line-anyone who has ever done a deuce injection pump or master cylinder knows this. rofl

I think it's more likely the handles had some other purpose and the field mechanics found that they happened to be useful, not that they would be useful for field mechanics and the engineers included them for that reason.
Yes, you're probably right about this. In the pictures I saw, the troops where pushing the axles into position. Then aligning the frame over them. But in war you have to make due with what your given. In the Marines we always said "adapt and overcome" ! I would liked to have asked my father about this, but he passed away over 15 years ago, and he never really liked talking about the war.

rustystud

The real reason no one rebuked your post is that most subscribers to this thread took the time to read the 80+ posts before yours and already KNEW "the rest of the story". IMHO.
I also read ALL the posts, I just disagreed with the story line ;)
ColdWarrior, are you really a Chaplain ? My brother was a Chaplain in the Army for 10 years. Previously he was a line officer in Vietnam, then went to school got his divinety degrees and went back to complete his 20. He retired over 10 years ago. He was in Somalia when the "Black Hawk Down" incident happened. He got to pray over the troops as they where coming into the field hospital.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ColdWarrior, are you really a Chaplain ? My brother was a Chaplain in the Army for 10 years. Previously he was a line officer in Vietnam, then went to school got his divinety degrees and went back to complete his 20. He retired over 10 years ago. He was in Somalia when the "Black Hawk Down" incident happened. He got to pray over the troops as they where coming into the field hospital.

During my military service I was in Intell (ala NSA). It's been after my discharge that my faith and calling to serve our God through His ministry gifts to me have come forth and been called into action.
The "Chaplain" title assigned to my Membership was a calling I that came after being a member here for a while. Chris, the website owner and others asked me to step up when our previous Chaplain needed to focus on other things for a season.
We have a good group of believers here who also minister in their own special ways. Serving man for God's honor and glory does not require a title. We are ordained to His good works by the Holy Spirit.
Be blessed.
John

rustystud

During my military service I was in Intell (ala NSA). It's been after my discharge that my faith and calling to serve our God through His ministry gifts to me have come forth and been called into action.
The "Chaplain" title assigned to my Membership was a calling I that came after being a member here for a while. Chris, the website owner and others asked me to step up when our previous Chaplain needed to focus on other things for a season.
We have a good group of believers here who also minister in their own special ways. Serving man for God's honor and glory does not require a title. We are ordained to His good works by the Holy Spirit.
Be blessed.
John
Praise God ! That's 2 members now who I know are "believers" . My father was a minister in the "4 square church" and 2 brothers are ordained in the "assembly of God" church. My oldest brother was a gospel singer in the "Mariners Quartet" and some other ones later on. I was considered the "Black Sheep" of the family as I went into the Marine Corp . I'll tell you though, it's hard to serve the Lord in a totally ungodly
place like that ! Though I did get to talk to a lot of guys about the Lord who would normally never hear the gospel.
Greg.

Rusty, There are several of us on this forum. Hang out in the Chaplin's corner a while and you will recognize who they are. Sounds like a very impressive family! I love what ColdWarrior said: "Serving man for God's honor and glory does not require a title." Hope to hear more from you brother!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Those are some super cool pics. They don't seem so interested in using any handles though.
The reason being that the CCKW, US6, 1 1/2T Dodge and Chevy do not have them. Don't know about the other WWII trucks as I have not worked on them. This video shows CCKW's being taken out of the crates an assembled in France at around 2:30 starts showing clear pictures of the frames. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhf4ynHqVqA

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason being that the CCKW, US6, 1 1/2T Dodge and Chevy do not have them. Don't know about the other WWII trucks as I have not worked on them. This video shows CCKW's being taken out of the crates an assembled in France at around 2:30 starts showing clear pictures of the frames. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhf4ynHqVqA
That video is a wonderful first-person account of history.
Thanks for sharing it!

rustystud

I got a return call from the curator at the Fort Lewis Museum today. He said the frame "handles" started around 1947, after WWII . He stated that the handles where used to help assemble the trucks in Korea, but the real reason they where added was as tie-downs for shipping and transport. So I was wrong . I guess the pictures in my family where from my uncle who served in Korea, not my father.
rustystud.

brianp454

There's a guy in Bremerton, WA (if memory serves) with a truck he's been parting out. It has handles all over. My truck does not have any of the common added weld-in tie-downs, so I'd like to add something to allow things to be died down in the cargo bed. Considering buying some handles and mounting them on the outside of the cargo bed above the cargo cover lower end so that they cannot be seen when the cover is on, yet still allow come-alongs to reach them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks