• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

Another Ahab

A few SS members have messaged me asking for more information on the custom brake lines used for my Disc Brake conversion. Your mileage may vary on the brake line lengths, so don't order specifically from my invoice and send a nasty PM later saying it didn't work. Break out a tape measure!
And then remember the All-Important Rule:

measure.jpg

HanksDeuce

What a busy weekend. First the Louisiana National Guard Armory tour, then the 4Wheel Parts Truck show, and topping it off I attended the Christmas Parade in Gonzales, LA today!

I took 30 pictures of the parade. Feel free to click on over to my website for all of them on the gallery page. I'll put a few here so you all get the gist.

Direct link to gallery page entry for Christmas Parade in Gonzales, LA.

Comments:
- Deuce use #486: Blocking the road at the end of a parade to keep people from going around while waiting for the parade to start. I was asked to do so.
- Hint: Leave some distance to the float in front of you. Tons of women will bend over to grab candy/beads in the street. CLEAVAGE ALERT! :D
- Tons of candy smashing by the bobbed deuce. Like before they put me towards the back of the parade. I was in front of the Santa Claus float for a while.
- Parade was 1 hour 15 minutes long. No issues with the deuce other than the smashed candy. Oops!
- Didn't decorate the front because when that 23 inch mechanical fan engages it moves some air! Like Hurricane Katrina coming through.

Attachments

AZK9

What a busy weekend. First the Louisiana National Guard Armory tour, then the 4Wheel Parts Truck show, and topping it off I attended the Christmas Parade in Gonzales, LA today!...
In one of the pics, it looks like the LEO (in your rearview mirror) was writing you a ticket! :lol:

But... that would not be in the Holiday Spirit!!

Jeepsinker

If I had been able to paint the whole thing, the details would have been a lot better. I'm sorry about the overspray on your brake lines and I'm sure some other things that you didn't want painted. You should be able to remove it from the brake lines with WD-40 on a rag.

That was a really hard time for me as you know, and isn't the best example of my workmanship.

Another Ahab

If I had been able to paint the whole thing, the details would have been a lot better. I'm sorry about the overspray on your brake lines and I'm sure some other things that you didn't want painted. You should be able to remove it from the brake lines with WD-40 on a rag.

That was a really hard time for me as you know, and isn't the best example of my workmanship.
I never heard of WD-40 as a paint remover. That's good to know.

HanksDeuce

Unfortunately, when Garrett had to rest a bit after his accident his helpers didn't hit anything with just light overspray. :( It's taken me quite some time, but I now have the overspray off the Autometer dash gauges (driver window must have been rolled down a bit?), side windows, and most of the rubber and silicone hoses in the engine bay. I flat out refuse to waste my time using steel wool for several days to get the overspray off the sidewalls on all four 16R20 Michelins. However, I might be able to take steel wool to the brake lines, after all they are braided stainless steel with a smoked plastic cover.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just get one of those siphon feed sand blasters to clean up the tires, just remember to protect your lungs! Maybe some silly-cone spray on the rubber might help the paint fall off.

HanksDeuce

Well, there goes the neighborhood! My buddy found a deal that I couldn't pass up on a Nathan AirChime K5LA train horn. I rigged up 25 ft of 1/2" DOT air line from my air manifold between the air ride seats to the passenger side door opening with a ball valve and quick connect 90 degree elbow. Seller shows up and I connected it to the horn in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant. After a few loud horn blasts I paid the seller and I drove home with a big grin on my face. Now I need to come up with where to mount it. I also need to buy the Graham 353 Series 1/2" manual valve to go along with the train horn. This allows better control over the train horn.

Stay tuned for an install update on the train horn. It's supposed to rain all week here.

Attachments

Awesome. Got a three trumpet from my roommate with a 1/2" switch/valve about a month ago. Been working hard so haven't had time to install. We were thinking right above the pioneer tool rack on the frame pointed down would be a good location.

HanksDeuce

I put together a page on my personal Deuce website to better show the layout of the modifications completed so far on my bobbed deuce. It's sort of a map if you will. You can find it on my modifications page at the first link below.
http://hanksdeuce.com/modifications.htm

Clicking the black/white bobbed deuce photo on the first link above takes you to the page below.
http://hanksdeuce.com/layout_of_modifications.htm

The picture on the 2nd link above is an image map, so it works by moving your mouse over one of the red crosshairs. Then the information magically pops up!

The attached picture below is just for reference only. No magic in it. You have to visit the 2nd link above to see the magic!

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

That is very cool how you break the components down that way on your website.

Where did you learn to do that kind of thing!?
I never read any books on how to build websites, but I do browse how-to articles of different things you can add to a website to make it stand out from others. It's easy to just go to any website around the world and reverse engineer how they did it. Sure you can google "how to write HTML code" or something similar, but I find it easier to just visit a website, right click, and choose View Page Source. Then the magic happens of figuring out how they did it. The difficult part comes with linking cascading style sheets, javascript code, and plugins. It's not that complicated. The photoshop magic of doctoring the pictures is probably harder to learn. I work with layers, so it's easy to turn one layer off, duplicate it, and modify the new layer.

1. First you make an image in photoshop with the crosshair labels on the bobbed deuce.
2. Then you map out the coordinates of each "hot spot" with an on-line resource.
3. Then you work some magic with HTML code (including Image Map stuff from the on-line resource, Mouse rollover stuff, etc).
4. Test it locally on your own computer.
5. Upload the HTML code and photos to your own personal website.
6. Post the link for SS members (and the general public) to enjoy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks