• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

Jeepsinker

Looking good man. Hope the bed liner turned out ok. I wasn't really happy with how it was laying down when I was shooting it. Seemed like I got a bad batch or something but it certainly didn't come out the way the floor in my cab did. The floor in yours looks great though.

And now that mine is done.... Wanna race?

HanksDeuce

Today I completed new breathers for the front/rear axles. It turns out the 1/4" OD tubing was too small that I used in my original DIY fording kit when I had the multifuel engine. This time I went with 3/8" ID reinforced tubing. I ran the rear breather to an overall height of 6 ft, and the front breather to 7 ft.

Comments:
- Same fuel filter used as a breather like the transfer case
- Last breather to be installed will be for the transmission

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Hank what did you use for brake lines never saw pics of them?
I guess I didn't get around to taking pics of the new brake lines when I installed the disc brake kit. The lines looked somewhat like the ones I had completed back for the bob job.

See this post for information on the company I ordered them from. Very fast turnaround. They made my lines the same day! Classic Industries wanted 4-6 weeks!

Attachments

Another Ahab

Today I completed new breathers for the front/rear axles. It turns out the 1/4" OD tubing was too small that I used in my original DIY fording kit when I had the multifuel engine. This time I went with 3/8" ID reinforced tubing. I ran the rear breather to an overall height of 6 ft, and the front breather to 7 ft.
I recall reading some comments about the maintenance nightmare that comes with fording (for components like wheel bearings, especially in water with any kind of silt or grit suspended in it).

Are you planning any fording in your rig, or is it more about being able to if you wan to?

HanksDeuce

On 10/31/15 my buddy John and I completed a flag pole mount for my deuce to use during parades. John opted for a pipe coupling he had laying around the shop instead of using the cast coupling I purchased from Lowe's. After trimming the black iron pipe to length we used the cut off piece to mock-up the coupling for final welding. Although my first Veteran's Day parade was cancelled today I do have one tomorrow. Wish us luck on the weather.

Comments:
- 95% of parts came from Lowe's
- Total height is 12 ft from the ground

[Edit on 11/08/15 - Added pic 12 to show what the flag pole mount looked like after paint and wire lock pin was installed.]

Attachments

Last edited:

King

Sir, did you replace or modify the stock vent, or did you just slip the hose over the existing vent? Thank you.

Comments:
- Same fuel filter used as a breather like the transfer case
- Last breather to be installed will be for the transmission

HanksDeuce

Todd,

I had originally used a 90 degree elbow from Lowe's that had 1/8" NPT to thread into the axle housing, and 1/4" compression fitting for the crappy tubing that I pulled off and threw away. I simply threw away the nut and ferrule and slid the hose over the compression threads. I would recommend purchasing a 90 degree brass elbow that's 1/8" NPT male by 3/8" barb. Something like this.

Jeepsinker

Man, I can't fathom what was causing you problems with the 1/4" line. I have everything except my fuel tank and air pack plumbed into one central 1/4" vent line running up the frame, and I've had no issues yet. Were you still getting pinion leaks, or hub leaks, or what?

HanksDeuce

Man, I can't fathom what was causing you problems with the 1/4" line. I have everything except my fuel tank and air pack plumbed into one central 1/4" vent line running up the frame, and I've had no issues yet. Were you still getting pinion leaks, or hub leaks, or what?
I was getting a slow transfer case leak due to over pressure, and the 1/4" OD poly tubing was starting to get a capillary action of slowly sending gear oil towards the front of the deuce. Maybe connecting the tubing for all 4 of the vents to a header at the top of the deuce airbox created a vacuum enough to pull a suction on the vents. I tell you there's no issue at all with the 3/8" ID reinforced clear tubing, and it looks better doing it. No worries now, Garrett.

HanksDeuce

Attended my first parade today! Went out to the Veteran's Day Parade in Port Allen, LA. Flag pole mount had no issues with the drive over at 55 mph. I put the American flag on at the rally point a mile from the parade route. Winds peaked at 15-20 mph brief gusts. No issues. Everybody loved the deuce! My wife rode shotgun and we both passed out candy, beads, rubber ducks, cups, and plastic footballs that were given to us by the local grocery store. I only had the American Flag as a decoration on the deuce, so maybe they felt bad for us? :D All of the jeep owners brought beads and toys to throw. My first parade, so I had no idea.

Comments:
- A/C is awesome in a parade vehicle
- Parade was about an hour long
- About 30-40 jeep owners showed up
- M37 owner is not on Steel Soldiers
- Added rear/side reflectors to the M105A2 bed yesterday
- Guys were looking under the deuce for candy (good thing she don't leak!)

Attachments

Another Ahab

Attended my first parade today! Went out to the Veteran's Day Parade in Port Allen, LA. Flag pole mount had no issues with the drive over at 55 mph. I put the American flag on at the rally point a mile from the parade route. Winds peaked at 15-20 mph brief gusts. No issues. Everybody loved the deuce! My wife rode shotgun and we both passed out candy, beads, rubber ducks, cups, and plastic footballs that were given to us by the local grocery store. I only had the American Flag as a decoration on the deuce, so maybe they felt bad for us? :D All of the jeep owners brought beads and toys to throw. My first parade, so I had no idea.
Louisiana:
- You all really know how to have fun there down your way. :beer:

I'm hoping my daughter gets her application accepted at Tulane (and says "yes"); I plan to go to ALL the parent's events!

HanksDeuce

After many requests I decided to take a few videos from inside the deuce cab while driving. I don't have a Gopro camera or a fixed mount for my iphone, so this is as good as it gets for now.

First video is driving to the Hammond Mall Car Show (daytime).

Comments:
- I didn't take my eyes off the road. The video is decent quality by shear luck and a steady hand.
- My Autometer boost gauge is not connected. Need to source a compression tee.
- Steady state boost is 14-15psi (ISSPro combo gauge above steering wheel)
- Top speed = 55 mph

https://youtu.be/ObBmM7Ne6Mw

HanksDeuce

Second video is driving home from the Hammond Mall Car Show (nighttime).

Comments:
- Again, eyes stayed on the road. Just point the iphone, get close to the gauges, and hope for the best.
- Didn't put a compression tee on the Autometer boost gauge at the show, so it's still dead. :)
- Boost stays roughly the same day/night even though the temperature dropped 10-15 degrees F.

https://youtu.be/lErr4wvPO8E

Another Ahab

After many requests I decided to take a few videos from inside the deuce cab while driving. I don't have a Gopro camera or a fixed mount for my iphone, so this is as good as it gets for now.
You got her tuned up real nice, HanksDeuce; she's purring along like a husky kitten; real sweet. [thumbzup]

HanksDeuce

So I finished the heater install for the Vintage Air Gen II Super system because the weather in Louisiana turned cold (for at least a few days). I thought I would run into a problem because the coolant reservoir is a little bit lower than the 2 heater hoses that route into the cab and then into the heater core. It turns out there isn't an issue.

Comments:
- Heater servo valve is supplied in the Vintage Air Gen II Super system kit
- Freightliner supplied the 5/8" ID silicone heater hoses + clamps
- Lowe's supplied the valves and pipe fittings
- Coolant filter kit was leftover from when I had the original multifuel engine. I just bought a new WIX coolant filter.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks