• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

I removed the M105A2 bed with a forklift today. Over the next few days I will pressure wash the deuce and prepare to start sanding. When the weather cooperates maybe I can get some new paint sprayed on her!

blackrock

Just got back from a 10 mile test drive. Thanks again for Waterloo Specialties for making the power steering kit for my deuce. It is so much easier to navigate my driveway both forward and reverse. A few roads near my home have an angle that meets the highway where the road you are turning on almost doubles back on you. Effortless steering I tell you. I left 2 unique marks in my driveway where I turned lock to lock sitting still.

I bled the Black Rock Fab disc brakes until I saw purple Silicone Dot 5 and no bubbles. I used a pressure bleeder at 20psi. Started with the air pack/master cylinder, then the passenger rear caliper, driver rear, passenger front, and ended at the driver front caliper. I can't believe the disc brakes work that well without a proportioning valve on the rear.

Lastly, I was worried about my hubs being too hot because this was my biggest axle/brakes/bearings job. After driving 10 miles the hubs are slightly warm. They are all pretty much the same temperature (felt by hand though, no IR gun).

Next week is paint!

Pictures and videos will be posted after Christmas.

That is great news!!! now i want video of this thing stopping on a dime!!!! lol

HanksDeuce

Well, I downloaded a new app to my iPhone. It's the free HUD Awesome App that provides a GPS speedometer, distance, max/avg speed, and clock. You can even configure the app to reverse all of the readings so you can lay the phone down and project a "heads-up display" (HUD) onto the windshield. It's hard to do that with the vertical windshields of a deuce, but it works perfectly fine in my civvy vehicles.

I propped my iPhone up on the windshield pointed at me, and a short test drive in the deuce later I was able to achieve 55 mph at 1800 rpm in 5th gear. With traffic and weather conditions I didn't need to go any faster today. Again, this was GPS verified with the app on my phone. I can achieve this much speed because of the taller 53" Michelins I'm running. No new OD gearing required. Sorry, Tom! :cool:

Since I know what speed corresponds to a certain rpm in 5th gear, I can use the formula below to extrapolate whatever top speed I want. I would have to repeat this test for any lower gear. Once I have a speed/rpm relationship, just use the same formula.
Code:
  55 mph      x mph
---------- = -------
 1800 rpm     y rpm
Using the formula above and substituting a new max rpm will give me my new speed in 5th gear.
1800 rpm = 55.0 mph
1900 rpm = 58.1 mph
2000 rpm = 61.1 mph
2100 rpm = 64.2 mph
2200 rpm = 67.2 mph
2300 rpm = 70.2 mph
2400 rpm = 73.3 mph
2500 rpm = 76.4 mph
2600 rpm = 79.4 mph

Basically, anything over 1800 rpm in 5th gear is too fast for me. :D The attached section of the Operator Manual, TM 9-2320-361-10, states to never exceed 2600 rpm in any gear.

The injection pump on my 1970 deuce is safety wired shut (untouched). I opened the top of this "G" code type injector pump and I adjusted the inner nut by 2 flats. My ISSPro boost/EGT combo gauge will be used tomorrow to verify my new boost pressure and exhaust gas temperature to make sure my adjustments don't destroy my multi-fuel engine (melt pistons).

Attachments

HanksDeuce

After adjusting the injection pump stop plate by 2 flats on the jam nut, I went out and took a test drive. The boost went up to 8 psi max, and the EGT never went above 950F. I adjusted the stop plate by another 2 flats (now a total of 4 from stock). The boost now spikes to 10 psi and 1000F on the EGT. I will adjust by another 2 flats (total of 6 from stock) and take a test drive tomorrow morning. I'll probably end up on 8 flats from stock. This will be 1 full turn from stock.

For all those SS members with "G" code type injector pump (no FDC) out there, I will be posting a video with step by step instructions on how to turn your fuel up tomorrow.

welldigger

I have been tempted to turn my fuel up but my truck is decent on power. So until I get an egt gauge I'm going to leave it alone. I have the injector pump with no FDC so it would be great to have a video on how to adjust it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
stock LDT setting is 9 psi @ 2500 rpm. many are set very conservativly. you should be able to get close to 14 psi @ 1200 °f and be safe, the power differance will be impressive.

HanksDeuce

Well, I'm happy after adjusting the fuel on the injection pump. I'm hitting 11psi of maximum boost at 2600rpm, and the EGT never goes above 1100F. I will drive the deuce like this for awhile, and if I need a little more get up and go I can adjust it a little more.

welldigger

Words can't describe the power difference. The truck needed the extra power because of the 53" Michelins. I'd love to ride in a bobbed deuce on 11R20s with the injection pump turned up.
I drove a bobber a few weeks back with 14.00-20s with the fuel turned up and I was very impressed. Especially compared to my bone stock 6x6.

ccf460

Tagged, I really want to see the use of the space between the cab and bed. I am finishing my air ride bob,and
left about 10" between them on my truck ,to add "something"?

welldigger

We went the other direction with our Bob job as far as bed spacing. We did like steve6x6 and notched the center support rib on the front of the bed to tuck that thing nice and tight to the cab. I think having a big gap between the cab and bed looks goofy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks