• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

I won't lie... I read "lift kit" and cringed... but it came out good. I'd like to see if your design can take heavy stresses of some aggressive trails though.
If the Black Rock Fab kit on my truck can put up with the stresses of Louisiana roads it should be able to take on ANY aggressive trails.
:beer:

HanksDeuce

I'm finally catching up on the modifications to my deuce. Here are a few shots of the Ouverson front lockout hubs installation from 02/01/13.

As always, check my website for a complete description of all modifications.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

More paint pics. Weather and work have both started to cooperate. There might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I might get run slap over, but I can see the light!

Take a look at the date stamp on the axle (pic 136).

Attachments

mike101

hank, first off i must say you have done a awesome job on your entire project and with your step by step pics you have answered a lot the questions i had about my upcoming project of bobbing and lifting my duece. I have one question about your truck, do you notice any vibration coming from your rear driveshaft when driving at speed? I know between the tires and motor there is a lot of noise and vibrations happening already but i ask because of the different angles on each u joint on the rear drive shaft. There is virtually 0 degrees of angle at the rear joint and there has to be at least 7-10 degrees on the front joint. i didn t see any pics of the front joint but i am assuming it is still a single u joint? From past experience lifting vehicles with single u joints on each end of the driveshaft i learned that each joint would need to have close to the same amount of angle as the opposite joint or a vibration would become very noticable. I think i remember reading there are shims under your rear springs that rotate the axle, I assume that came with the lift kit and i am just wondering why and which way they rotated the axle? The front driveshaft looks like it has close to the same angle on each end of it which is correct. only reason i m asking is cause i will be making the lift kit myself so i can make the lift brackets different hieghts to do the same thing as the shim and point the axle at whatever angle i want. Again terrific job on everything and thanks for all the info and knowledge you have shared with us

mike

HanksDeuce

Thanks for the compliments, Mike. I have no noticeable driveshaft vibrations. Good eye, though, on the rear driveshaft u-joint angles. In my infinite wisdom during installation of the rear axle using deuce front springs I decided to flip the original factory shims around. It looked good at the time, but the angle is definitely off. I will eventually flip the shims back to the stock location for a much smaller angle on the rear u-joint. That should match the u-joint on the output of the transfer case. The Black Rock Fab lift kit doesn't come with any shims. If you decide to use a set of deuce front springs for your rear axle I would just use the factory shims.

HanksDeuce

Update on painting.

Replacement windshields came in from C&C Surplus. I removed the windshield frame and restored it. Paintable caulk was put into the drip rail and 2 more coats of paint were added for good measure. Entire chassis and body are painted in Behr Premium Plus (acrylic exterior flat) paint in the 383 Green color variant (Federal #34094) from Home Depot.

Next up I will install the bed and prep/paint it.

Attachments

Hainebd

Hank, looks great. I only wish that when u are done u don not take it out and tear it up off road or worse sell it. Keep it protect it and yes keep modifying it. You can never be done just bored. Thanks.

velheru

The cage will likely be 1-3/4" or 2" DOM tube. I'm not sure if the fabricator wants .120 or .250 wall. It will be a complete custom exoskeleton covering the entire cab from front to back. No welding to the frame so it will tie in with bolted plates front, sides and rear. The top will be 2 levels. The first level protects the top of the cab. The second level will protect the Coleman Mach 15 A/C unit. I will be using the cage to mount the A/C unit instead of bothering with structural support for the cab. The cage won't touch the top of the cab. The A/C unit will have a 14x14" flex section cut into the cab to provide the cool air.

The reason I want the external cage is for rollover protection. When completed I will have a deuce that is over 13" taller than original. I was devastated when I viewed the thread about the guy in the M35A3 this year that ran off the interstate into the median and was killed when it flipped. A 12,000 lb truck rolling over will definitely crush you unless something else is added. The hardtop surely won't help by itself.

Here are pictures of Tatra vehicles with a similar cage:
Interested to see the exocage you come up with. I have considered doing something like this when I start my build. I am considering using some larger diameter pipe for the top rails that I could also use as dual intake pipes.

Dipstick

Wicked good looking truck Hank! Man, you have put a ton of high quality work into your baby. Thinking about the roll over issue.....I'm considering having a bomb hoist/wrecker/Aframe kind of thing fabbed for my bed. The design is in my brain. Half hoist, half roll bar. Great for pulling engines or loading my generator.

Dipstick

Words can't describe the power difference. The truck needed the extra power because of the 53" Michelins. I'd love to ride in a bobbed deuce on 11R20s with the injection pump turned up.
Jeez Hank...I just read this particular post of yours. My Brutus rides on 11R-20s. I wonder how he'd pull if I turned my pump up. Brutus seems to pull pretty well, but sometimes he gets a bit winded on long grades in 5th. I let him dog down to 1500. Anything less and I'm looking for 4th. Drove him up a dirt hill in Low trans 2wd high transfer a month ago and the little hill was a non issue. Great vids!

welldigger

I know the difference between a bobber with 14.00-20's with the fuel turned up and my 6x6 on 9.00-20's is night and day. My fuel is not turned up. Waiting for pyrometer and my 395's for that. But rest assured it WILL happen. The power difference is impressive. Especially, with a bobber that weighs 3,000 pounds (give or take) less than a stock 6x6 truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks