• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

I know the difference between a bobber with 14.00-20's with the fuel turned up and my 6x6 on 9.00-20's is night and day. My fuel is not turned up. Waiting for pyrometer and my 395's for that. But rest assured it WILL happen. The power difference is impressive. Especially, with a bobber that weighs 3,000 pounds (give or take) less than a stock 6x6 truck.
What EGT/pyro are you guys using? Looking for something on the low cost side.

welldigger

Depends on whether you want a digital readout or analog needle. I prefer digital since I'm going to be tuning and testing till I'm happy with the power but egt's remain at safe levels. I'm going with the aubriens unit. Its around $70-80 if I remember correctly.

HanksDeuce

The exo-cage is on the back burner until last.

The A/C + Heat system is next after I finish paint. All I have left is the M105A2 bed.

Thanks for the positive comments. It really helps me along in getting this big beast finished.

I have an ISSPRO boost + EGT gauge. Don't remember the price.

HanksDeuce

I installed my custom 28" drop double hitch from Black Rock Fab. Thanks to Justin Wehring for inspiration on building this hitch. Justin posted a 5 ton 20K hitch in this thread, and I had Kyle make a few improvements on the design.

The modification page on my website got a makeover so it loads quicker. Each major modification has its own page now. Much better!

As always, check my website for tons more pictures of each modification.

01 - Justin Wehring's 5 ton 20K hitch
10 - New hitch at Black Rock Fab's shop
24 - New hitch installed and tail light brackets relocated for better visibility
28 - Closeup of the rear showing all of the 3/4" bolts in the frame rails
29 - Overall shot of the rear after hitch installed and tail lights relocated lower
25 - Angle shot of the new hitch and relocated tail lights

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Wow that's a whopper!
That's what she said. :D

On a more serious note, I still have people that like to tail gate me while I'm driving the deuce. There is going to be serious **** to pay if someone rear ends me at a stop sign or light now that I've got that massive hitch on the back. Before the hitch I used to joke around and tell people that if someone rear ended me they would just blow one of the 53" tires off the bead. Now, a different story.

Last edited:

w3azel

O man that opening warning on your video had me rolling. That thing is insane and very well built. Plus it gave you a great spot to add mud flaps. How easy is it take off the hitch part. I ask because I too and looking at doing the 8" lift and this could be on the list but I also like to off road the truck.

HanksDeuce

I won a large portable crane (fancy 6000lbs capacity engine hoist) on GL. I've been looking for a donor Cummins 5.9L engine and tranny for months. My goal is a little more power than the deuce power plant. I'd be happy with 350-400HP and 600-700 ft-lbs. What auto tranny would I be looking for (Allison, modified factory Dodge auto)?

Planned mods:
1) remove MF engine/tranny
2) install Cummins 5.9L engine and auto tranny
3) replace air pack with hydro boost setup on frame (not firewall)
4) rewire Cummins alternator to 24v or use existing deuce unit?
5) install A/C using military kit I bought in a crate

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you want a 3060 (not P), but you will get into a hugh expense with controllor, wiring, etc. anywhere from 6k to 8k, plus you will need to move the transfer back. got room?? better to find a 8.3 cummins, it WILL fit.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

A guy I talked to yesterday has a used 8.3 Cummins + Allison transmission for sale, but he doesn't have any other information until Monday morning. He did say it came out of a 1995 F-800 bucket truck. Maybe he can provide more information next week. Wouldn't this be the same drivetrain that came out of some military vehicles? Not sure if it is a 6CTA or not.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you are going to have to look at the data plate on that trans, but i strongly suspect it is a 1:1 final drive, so not much good to you unless you just want to go no more that 50 mph. as to the engine, i don't know a lot about cummins, but the T is for turbo and the A is for after-cooled. one person here used that engine with my OD gear set in the original trans and if you don't abuse it it probably would not break. at least that way you would have plenty of power and not need to move the transfer.

HanksDeuce

I just sealed the deal on a 1997 Cummins 5.9L engine and Allison AT545 transmission. They both have 46k miles on them. Did I mention I only paid $1400? Woo whooo!

Stay tuned for more pictures/updates as I pull the Cummins/Allison as well as the Multifuel/Spicer!

HanksDeuce

Hank are u going to use the same power steering set up or the one off of the 5.9 if not i would be interested in urs of the truck
I hope to use as much as possible from the Waterloo Specialties power steering kit. The Cummins 5.9L engine has a power steering pump, so I should be able to use it. I will let you know if I have anything left over to part with.

What are you going to do about the 1:1 (actually less do to converter) final drive?
I used an on-line gearing calculator and it told me that in 4th gear I would need to turn 2500rpm to go 60mph. Sure it sucks, but it's doable. I may even put 3200rpm governor springs in the Cummins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks