• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

After much thought, consideration and hard-earned money spent gathering parts I decided to start on my deuce project today. Many thanks to TimnTrucks and littlebob for helping me in this endeavor by providing lifting services by Tim's wrecker and elbow grease by both. I'm sure a few more fellow SS members will step in to help on this fun project. It will definitely be a nice truck when I'm finished with it. And, no, I won't be selling my completed project vehicle like pretty much everybody else does. I hope to get many years of enjoyment!

I will be performing the following modifications over the course of the next few months:
- Bobbing the rear to make her 4-wheel drive
- Front Deuce Springs in the rear
- Custom Shocks (*Specs)
- M105A2 bed
- 8" frame lift & steering kit (Black Rock Fab)
- External Roll cage (fabricator TBD)
- Roof mounted Coleman Mach 15 A/C Unit (*Specs)
- Bed mounted 3k watt Yamaha Generator Inverter (*Specs)
- 53" Michelin XZL 16R20 tires (*Specs)
- 20" HEMTT wheels with weld-in plates for 6 lug Rockwell center (Stazworks)
- Front Lockout Hubs (Ouverson)
- Bed mounted spare tire
- Bed mounted toolbox with relocated fuel tank inside
- Spin on fuel/oil filter kit (Jatonka)
- 24v Trucklite LED headlights (*Specs)
- 24v Trucklite LED auxiliary lights (*Specs)
- Cage mounted Go Light Spotlight (GoLight)
- 6" LCD monitor with roof mounted and backup cameras (*Specs)
- Relocate APC lights from front bumper to rear for backup lighting
- New Desert Tan paint
- Turn the fuel up!

What has been completed so far:
- D turbo swapped out with a C turbo "whistler"
- 24v Trucklite LED turn signals (*Specs)
- 24v Trucklite LED brake/rear turn signal lights (*Specs)
- Hidden Keyed Ignition Switch
- Automatic air tank drain valves (Erik's Military Surplus)
- Fuel pump in-tank rubber line replaced (cracked & falling off)
- Combination boost/pyrometer gauge (ISSPro Turbocator)
- APC headlights mounted to front bumper
- Front bumper step
- Replaced engine temperature gauge and sender (existing gauge/sender said truck was overheating, grounds were okay)

Attachments

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

More pics...

The bob job started this afternoon. I settled on 11 inches from the back of cab to front of trailer (not counting the ribs). This will leave me with enough room for 2 jerry can mounts on the front of the trailer. I also need room to mount the rear portion of the external roll cage to the frame behind the cab rear spring mount.

I posted a picture of my transmission with the top cover removed because she has started to pop out of 3rd gear. I have to hold it in gear until I make it into 4th. I guess a new 2nd/3rd gear synchro assembly is required. Nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Stay tuned for more details! We will be removing the bogie assembly (rear axles) on Sunday morning!

Attachments

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

Looks like a heck of a start!

I would like more info about this external roll bar, made for a Deuce of just a standard pickup truck roll bar?

HanksDeuce

Looks like a heck of a start!

I would like more info about this external roll bar, made for a Deuce of just a standard pickup truck roll bar?
The cage will likely be 1-3/4" or 2" DOM tube. I'm not sure if the fabricator wants .120 or .250 wall. It will be a complete custom exoskeleton covering the entire cab from front to back. No welding to the frame so it will tie in with bolted plates front, sides and rear. The top will be 2 levels. The first level protects the top of the cab. The second level will protect the Coleman Mach 15 A/C unit. I will be using the cage to mount the A/C unit instead of bothering with structural support for the cab. The cage won't touch the top of the cab. The A/C unit will have a 14x14" flex section cut into the cab to provide the cool air.

The reason I want the external cage is for rollover protection. When completed I will have a deuce that is over 13" taller than original. I was devastated when I viewed the thread about the guy in the M35A3 this year that ran off the interstate into the median and was killed when it flipped. A 12,000 lb truck rolling over will definitely crush you unless something else is added. The hardtop surely won't help by itself.

Here are pictures of Tatra vehicles with a similar cage:

Attachments

Last edited:

Firejareen

I don't have a heavy truck yet...but I want one...or more. And when I do I want to bob one of them. I was thinking a tractor as the starting point, they are shorter to start with than the bed trucks. This looks like a really thought out beginning to a great build. I can't wait to see the end result. Keep us up to date.

HanksDeuce

Had a funeral on Saturday so I couldn't work on the deuce until today. We got the bogie removed from the chassis. Both axles were removed and I gave the dog bones to littlebob. I gave TimnTrucks my 6 rims/tires and the spare as well. Since I don't need the bogie setup I gave that to TimnTrucks for scrap metal. I grinded the rivets smooth to the frame and cleaned up the sides of the chassis. I put a coat of gray primer until new paint is applied.

I didn't take pictures today, but maybe TimnTrucks' wife took some that she could post here? Otherwise, I will post pictures of our progress once the Black Rock Fab lift kit comes in!

My HEMTT wheels ship from Stazworks tomorrow!
My 24v Trucklite LED headlights arrive tomorrow!

Stay tuned for more updates!

HanksDeuce

Im curious where your going to attach the cage. That is the most interesting part of your plan to me.

Cant wait for pictures :)
Photoshop isn't helping me much this morning, but here is a laughable mock-up of the external roll cage. With the rooftop A/C there is no need to open the front windshields anymore. I will replace the weatherstripping and then silicone them in place. The entire cage will bolt to the frame (not weld).

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. Now I need to come up with a bunch of stuff to trade Tim for your old rolling stock. I would purt near bob a truck for someone in exchange for 7 1100x20 XLs

littlebob

I'm looking forward to help with rest of the build, It will be a learning experience for all involved. I can't Hank enough for donating the dog bones to help expedite my project and timntrucks for giving us a place and help to make it happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks