• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Happy birthday to me (trans cooler failed)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
uploadfromtaptalk1417281756136.jpg

So after running a lot of water through the engine and flush kits to get a bunch of oil out of the take off radiator. I try to button things up this AM and am greeted to this. Apparently when I drained the flush/water, there was still water trapped in the cooler and it burst.

So now I get to flush everything again, and now the transmission as well!

Happy birthday to me. aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you run it after flushing it?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drive, no, but idle in neutral yes. Pulled the drain plug and it was a shake as well. I'm letting it drip out until I get a new cooler. Will just load it up with engine oil and drop that. Then another load of oil. Then dump that. The hopefully it'll be clear for atf.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I'm developing my game plan on cleaning up this mess. I'm planning on filling the engine with water and radiator flush and just letting it run while I'm working on the transmission. But for the transmission, I bought engine oil. But would there be any real harm in me buying cheaper Hyd fluid to fill and drain and fill the first two times, then switch back over to ATF?

infidel got me

So I'm developing my game plan on cleaning up this mess. I'm planning on filling the engine with water and radiator flush and just letting it run while I'm working on the transmission. But for the transmission, I bought engine oil. But would there be any real harm in me buying cheaper Hyd fluid to fill and drain and fill the first two times, then switch back over to ATF?
I know when oil coolers on ford diesels fail,we let them run for hours.

We park em out back,and leave a hose in the de-gas bottle,let it run,it will clean up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know when oil coolers on ford diesels fail,we let them run for hours.

We park em out back,and leave a hose in the de-gas bottle,let it run,it will clean up.
I'm going to fill it up with hyd oil and let it run when I get a cooler. I'll let it flush out the block for a while. Then depending on how the oil looks, ill drive it around to see if it helps boil of the water. In the meantime it's dripping all the atf out.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, hope my birthday goes a bit better. LOL Sounds like ya got a plan of attack. Sorry,,,,,,,,Murphy shows up unexpectedly, A LOT!

Happy Birthday anyway!!!!!

God bless,
Tony

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been thinking about this from a chemistry level as well. I'm also thinking about using some sea foam or isopropyl alcohol in the hyd fluid to help bind with the emulsified water and help pull it out as well.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the 99% isopropyl alcohol. It will work better at absorbing the water. Just make sure that nothing in the transmission is affected by the alcohol. Plus, you can't run it long, the alcohol will evaporate as the transmission gets hot and leave the water in there. I hope your next birthday is better.

acme66

Maybe if you let the stuff you drain out settle in buckets for a few days it will separate out and you could flush it through the system a second or third time. Just thinking on how you could help flush the system without having to buy all new oil 4 or 5 times. Just the last time with the filter change.

Ken

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been dripping for a day or two now. Should have a cooler on the way, so it'll have at least two more days unless I pick one up today. It's pretty emulsified. Doubt it'll clear up on it's own. Hyd oil is cheap, well cheaper than a new transmission.