• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Door Recommendation

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi. Very easy to install oem hardware and window frames. Take oem window frames and line them up in the window opening and mark rivet locations, drill and install. The doors use oem hinges, latchs and handles. If you see the video, the door has all oem hardware on it.
Are the full doors you are eventually going to do using different windows than OEM? You mentioned in the video it might be more watertight.

HmmwvTim

Sorry I just saw your question . Yes it will be a different window with window seals.
Any update photos of the window progress?
the x-less doors from your facebook also looks awesome. I wish I would have thought of that. it has a cleaner look that the normal armored x door style. Good job.

Last edited:

wsswann

Evening gents,

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of becoming a new humvee owner. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings with the many different vendors that are selling aftermarket parts. Who should I try and use? Who to stay away from?

Right now I'm looking into a set of aftermarket X doors and have come across a set of 4 that come with all the needed hardware from Western Kentucky Surplus. The price seems good and they are the OE military look that I want. Would this be a good set? Is Western Kentucky a reputable company? See the link for their doors below if needed. Thanks in advance.

Evening gents,

I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of becoming a new humvee owner. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my bearings with the many different vendors that are selling aftermarket parts. Who should I try and use? Who to stay away from?

Right now I'm looking into a set of aftermarket X doors and have come across a set of 4 that come with all the needed hardware from Western Kentucky Surplus. The price seems good and they are the OE military look that I want. Would this be a good set? Is Western Kentucky a reputable company? See the link for their doors below if needed. Thanks in advance.

For those interested, I went with the West Kentucky Surplus doors. My opinion is that for around $4k, you can't beat it. The doors are new all around and come with all the hardware needed. I feel these doors are on the same level as original doors. They're solid, well built and I have had no issues with them.

After I received the doors, I did have some questions and the guys at West Kentucky were very helpful in answering those questions.

Things to know if you're going to get the doors: They're brand new doors. So you will have to drill holes for the hinges. The black trim on outside of the door, West Kentucky did not recommend painting it. Don't know why. Didn't really care since I think it looks better with the black edge and wasn't planning to paint it anyways.

Well worth the money .

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those interested, I went with the West Kentucky Surplus doors. My opinion is that for around $4k, you can't beat it. The doors are new all around and come with all the hardware needed. I feel these doors are on the same level as original doors. They're solid, well built and I have had no issues with them.

After I received the doors, I did have some questions and the guys at West Kentucky were very helpful in answering those questions.

Things to know if you're going to get the doors: They're brand new doors. So you will have to drill holes for the hinges. The black trim on outside of the door, West Kentucky did not recommend painting it. Don't know why. Didn't really care since I think it looks better with the black edge and wasn't planning to paint it anyways.

Well worth the money .
Nice looking doors, if the trim is anything like the AMG trim it will not hold paint well.

Action

Well worth the money .
Does the weatherstrip just push on to the edge of the door? Or is it in a channel like the OEM?

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received my Twisted Metalworks doors today. I opted for X-delete to enjoy benefit of complete 1/2” door thickness. Just hanging on hinges at the moment. Will be adjusted soon. Great fit and finish! Easy to see so much work has gone into fabricating these doors. Anyone should be proud to have these. Joe is an excellent craftsman!
See closeup of welds on right side front door, outside of window frame. 8C8D2269-7968-437B-8AA5-3386B2B607A6.jpegThis quality is typical on all four doors.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received my Twisted Metalworks doors today. I opted for X-delete to enjoy benefit of complete 1/2” door thickness. Just hanging on hinges at the moment. Will be adjusted soon. Great fit and finish! Easy to see so much work has gone into fabricating these doors. Anyone should be proud to have these. Joe is an excellent craftsman!
AWESOME!! was that option more???

Thank you so much for your comment. Thanks again for trusting us with order.

Action

What does the window mech look like on the inside?

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the window mech look like on the inside?
I haven’t decided whether to install OEM type windows or build external mounted horizontal sliding type (no, not RV windows) like true armored doors.
If I go with the armored style I can install gun ports below the windows. Already have gun ports for each of the four doors.

Attachments

Hammer

I think these doors are the only ones that I like MORE than oem doors!
Really like the idea of 1/2" thick doors!
I will wait until they finish their new fully built doors to see how they seal their windows. Those might be the ticket for me.
Not sure if I like the smooth or X door more though.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think these doors are the only ones that I like MORE than oem doors!
Really like the idea of 1/2" thick doors!
I will wait until they finish their new fully built doors to see how they seal their windows. Those might be the ticket for me.
Not sure if I like the smooth or X door more though.
I suspect “X” was originally used on oem fiberglass doors for reducing flex and inexpensively adding a measure of fiberglass strength. This would still be true of aftermarket fiberglass , or thin gauge metal doors. However, It is my belief that “X” has become more a design element rather than a form of function for sturdily fabricated doors.
Doors such as these (1/2” thick) from Twisted Metalworks are totally inflexible and incredibly strong. That is my primary reason opting for the “X-Delete” and maintaining that thickness across the entire door.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks