• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Top Modification for M66 Ring Mount.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Man I wish you were closer, I've got a couple hard tops with the hole and cover already in it that I would trade you for a regular hard top.
Maybe somebody up that way is headed to clinto's rally at the end of this month....or see how much shipping would be to 35960.
I can take mine apart and crate it to ship it.

EZFEED

I like the trash can lid idea..... Throw in a fuzzy purple jacket and AK-47 and you could be Oscar the grouch berserker style :)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks great and will complement your shooting platform is that a MIG you are working with? What additional bracing will you put inside to keep the wieght that will undoubtedly get put on the rim from denting the hard top?

bbbang

Hi: I am going to bend the piece of steel that is sitting on the top, as seen in one of the photos, in the correct arch and weld it iin place in the inside of the top next to the ring hole to brace the top. The way we cut the top for the hole we had to cut through the center brace. Adding this piece should make the top as strong or stronger then before, and keep it from loosing it's shape. If necessary I will add some additional bracing inside, and some insulation. I am going to do some more welding on the inside of the hole, and then grind and sand everything so that it is smooth and safe. Should finish this project up this week, other than painting, and yes on the welder in the background. Chris

bbbang

We braced up the top and the added low "e" insulation in place of the old insulation we removed. We tried some 3m adhesive and the stuff really sticks. The new insulation took primer and paint and actually looks better than the old stuff anyway. I have some sanding to do, and then some more primer and paint, and then the last problem of covering the hole. I am going to have a piece of canvas made to cover the hole. The hole ended up being just about 44" I am going to use the same hardware that is used to secure the soft top to the frame for the cab on the M35, to secure the canvas to the hole. Chris

Attachments