• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody seen this ?

Ezduzit

Checking more into the option of using the m812 bridge truck I found for sale locally.
The price is very attractive but the over width issue turns out is not so simple. My research has resulted in conflicting information on how these over the legal limit for road use bridge trucks gained their extra width. It may be that they used more than one method over the years?
First the bed and boom could be removed to take away the outer most extreme part of the trucks width problem of between 11-13 ft depending on which model? This still leaves the dual 14 20s still in DOT violation at where most say measures at 9'6".
So we still need to slim down somewhere close a foot and a half by either:
removing the outer dual wheels,
removing spacers,
changing to a different offset set of wheels,
flipping the hubs or any combination of some or all of these modifications.
It has even been suggested the only way is to swap the entire rear bogie from a truck with standard width axles.
As for axle housings dimensions. Some say it is the same as all other 5 ton housing's and uses 3" spacers on the hubs. Others report housing to be 6" wider with 1 1/2" spacers on the hub to give it a total of 9" over what I will call standard width. Most seem to be in agreement of 3" spacers on the front hubs to keep the deep offset wheels from interference with front suspension parts.
So what can I take away from all this digging? It must be possible. After all I did find a picture of at least 1 m812 bridge truck that had gotten skinny. Not sure if it was enough to be legal. Could be you just have to buy the truck, tear into it and find your solution.
For me it is the extra long wheelbase, winch and the fact the truck can be bought reasonably priced local that has me leaning this way.
Another option would be the dump that is also available from this same location that is already at a legal width. I would need to lengthen the wheelbase on this truck.
This could be easier and cheaper than narrowing the bridge truck? Either truck would be getting singles so a wheel change would likely be needed on both.
As for capacity the bridge truck may be built heavier. Axle housing springs double frame are some of the things that have come up. I will do some digging on the dump truck next. I don't know the model number on it yet. I would think both trucks could handle a bus body
turned RV down some rough forrest access roads.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dump truck in your photo is an M51, the early 5 ton, could have a multifuel or a Mack engine, and manual transmission. I'd like to have it! lol The Mack engines are great, but bad about wear on the camshaft, and spares dried up decades ago. Not the best option for a camper conversion, as dump trucks are mighty handy as is, and it has a shorter wheelbase. Plus the multifuel is kind of gutless compared to a cummins.

The truck next to it you say is a deuce, is actually an M813, 5 ton cargo. Would have the same drivetrain as the M812 (bridge crane truck). I would use the M813 personally. A camper isn't anywhere near heavy enough to need the double frame and heavier springs would just make it ride rougher. Might have a hard time keeping coffee mugs liquid tight. With a cummins engine as ubiquitous as a Chevy 350, common parts are reasonably easy to come by and finding mechanics that know how to work on them is easier.

Also m812's that are that complete, are rare. I would rather leave that one unmolested for someone who is looking for one to restore or could use it as is. And as you see it will be a lot of work to narrow it.

But in the end it is your build and your money. I like the idea you have about the bus body. I have a 1973 Chevy Bluebird bus converted into a Skoolie RV and lived in it for a few years even.

Ezduzit

Thanks for informing me on the pictures I posted. Funny thing is I originally had thought the 813 a 5 ton but was only guessing due to it having 10 lug wheels. The widow that has these trucks corrected me and said it was a deuce. She seemed confident and I had no real knowledge other than I thought deuces had 6 lug wheels. Her husband had died 3-4 years ago and had to have a great passon for military trucks and trailers to have collected them, filling their property. He would had to have something to say about every truck parked out there.
I completely get what you are saying about taking apart a restorable truck that is complete. I like that you posted your recommendations on the pictures and believe he had to have been like minded and would have gave me the same advice. Advice I would otherwise not have. My original plan was to find a parts truck or even a rolling chassis that had enough left to get me started when I happened upon these trucks locally.
Earlier calls I had made to advertised vendors mostly just cemented the fact I would need to find my own parts close by and build this myself.
Thanks again and I will see what I can learn about the 813.

Ezduzit

photos & videos

The topless MTVR's sold today at auction would be a good base. Pricey and a little short on the wheel base
Looked one over on GP that is located in Georgia. $5000. starting bid with no bids yet.
Untested/unstarted no winch.
475 hp cat/ allison 7 Spd, independent single speed transfer full time driveline, 7 ton. 16 singles.
I can vision a nice bus grafted to this cab once it is trimmed a bit more. That is after stretching the frame. The glass nose is screaming put me on a bus. May even look like it was born there.
The bad or scary for me is I'm unfamilliar with the electronic management on these newer vehicles and GP in general. This particular MTVR pretty much qualifies as a long distance pig in a poke for me. Could be great or a disaster. I did enjoy checking into these trucks, never even knew they were out there.

Third From Texas

I can barely feed my M1079 with a CAT C7 at 8 mpg.

3 mpg in a MTVR would be no joy for me.

There were some clean MTVRs that were intact and running, but I gotta draw a line somewhere.

LOL

Ezduzit

I am liking what I am finding out about the m813s with my research so far. Much improved
over the bridge truck rabbit hole I had dug so deep into. In fact I feel I may like them just fine with the duals and ndt tires. I never had problems with the ndt tires on my m37s. It went anywhere I wanted to go and even some places I wouldn't risk today being 20 some years wiser. I may even be fine with the hydraulic brakes also. When I rebuilt my m37s I just went through everything before I put it on the road. It had very basic and rebuildable systems. Fuel system from tank to carb (fuel pump had a vacuum pump), radiator cap to waterpump (wish it had a heater), brakes from master to drums, the brake lines didn't even rot out because they were copper/nickel, batteries to bulbs and distributor to plugs. Wires were waterproof, metal shielded and threaded together.
I found the m37s to be very enjoyable to work on and flawless in operation with two exceptions. It should have came with a heater and the vacuum wipers never were up to par with an electric motor even after the complete rebuild.
Can I expect the same good experience with the m813 5 ton. Particularly if it is put together well?
I never felt the need to do all the upgrades to the 3/4 ton people were doing at the time like v8 swaps, power steering or even disc brakes. Personally I found them to be hammer and anvil reliable as they were built from the factory. This experience accounts for my draw to building the bus or skoolie based on a military truck. A much bigger truck than I have built in the past. I do have to admit as I am researching this project I am finding it harder to bring myself into cannibalizing a truck.
I'm sure I would love one just as it is although it wouldn't suit my intended purpose well
as a cozy living space. I want to say thanks for the great input I have gotten from this site.
It has been very revealing and my thoughts have evolved considerably since posting the first picture. I am excited about this build idea and haven't bought the first bolt or turned a single wrench yet but feel it's getting closer.

Ezduzit

I can barely feed my M1079 with a CAT C7 at 8 mpg.

3 mpg in a MTVR would be no joy for me.

There were some clean MTVRs that were intact and running, but I gotta draw a line somewhere.

LOL
Overall I think I could make one of these MVTRs work in the end but it isn't really my usual style. I think the truck is larger and more complex than I probably need. I am more comfortable with mechanicals over electronics. Thanks for bringing up the fuel mileage as that should be factored in as well and It didn't even cross my mind. I have so much to learn about big trucks. It will probably turn out I buy one and learn after. I am trying to show some restraint and not let that get me to bad. If I found a MVTR close at that price I'm sure I would be over looking at it to see how much of the truck I would need has already disappeared. No way to know in the ad.
If the truck was able to be started and tested I would be more likely to show what few gambling traits I have. Getting It picked up and delivered is also a lot to subject to and I see as " only if I had to" scenario. I wish I was closer to the truck. As is I can't give it a fair consideration. I can see the posibility of a really nice bus in there. Probably nicer than what I will build.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned several m809 series trucks- once you get them up from sitting, they tend to be just as reliable as my m37, and just as easy to work on, just the parts are bigger and heavier!

If you find you can't bring yourself to dismantle a complete truck, you could still build an amazing living space in a military shelter that is designed to fit in the bed of the m813. Then it would look totally stock yet be the RV you need it to be.

Check out what's possible- you'll love the photos of the finished project (skip to the end)

Ezduzit

I like reading your take on these 809 series trucks, I'm sure I will enjoy learning more about and working on one same as I did the 3/4 tons. Of all the vehicles I have owned in the past 45 or so years, I do miss my m37s the most. I had actually started considering this project with the m43 ambulance in mind but I knew I needed something larger. So I looked at some buses. I knew how the military trucks were overbuilt to another level. The civilian power wagons I had were kind of in a league of their own in the civilian world. But they didn't have it over a m37. I believed I could come away with the same feeling with a 6x6 over a school bus. I only knew of the deuces when I came across that that first pic I posted and quickly learned of the 5 tons. And that led me here. I thought the builder of the bus may be a member or someone may recognize it. Turns out we didn't really need him after all. Lucky dog is probably out camping somewhere without cell service. No need to talk about trucks anymore. Someday I may happen to come across that rig out there while camping myself.
Anyhow I have decided to move forward and work towards a deal on the m813.
If it turns out I am able to purchase the truck from her my plan is to keep it intact and repair it so it is dependable and can be driven daily. This will be my introduction or getting my feet wet with this size of truck so to speak. It may be along way from the adventurer bus today, but I do expect an adventure with a very cool big truck to get underway.

Reworked LMTV

I found this pic on the net. I don't know who to credit this rig to, perhaps they are a member on this forum.
Likely one of a kind. Camper or RV ?
I'm sure I need one of these. Could be fun.
Endless jokes at campfire "You know you not only ride the short bus, YOU LIVE IN IT!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks