• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody seen this ?

Ezduzit

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one that thinks this vehicle could be something they would like to own. I really like it also. Not sure but I believe it must be a bus body grafted onto a long wheel base 5 ton 6x6 at the firewall.
Found another pic that must have had some digital color added. These are the only two pic I can find of the truck. Would really like to get a closer look at how this was put together or some info on its construction. I gotten the strong notion I need to build one myself.
Would anyone care to share how they would go about such a project? What model truck they would procure as a chassis donor would seem to be a good place to start. I believe I would try to locate a truck with a winch and extra long wheel base? Anyone care to add there thoughts? I believe I have got myself talked into doing this.

Attachments

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to have a picture of a Winabago that was set on a M35 chassis. I can’t find it now, but it was very well done. This bus build reminds me of it. How do we know this one is not 6X6?
This thing would make an excellent motor home.

Ezduzit

We don't know anything about it other than what can be seen in the pics.
I think it is a 6x6. And yes I agree with you, I think it would make a great motor home /RV
also. I am sorting out the how to go about building one now. The little woman likes the idea and is on board. She told me I have 5 years so get it done so we can travel. Thanks for joining in the conversation guys. You see I have never had a MV larger than a m37 so this is uncharted territory for me going 5 ton and diesel. It is time for me to step up a notch. I appreciate any and all advise.

Third From Texas

You may like this one, as well.

Not military, but along these lines.

2927f4758c2702921128f4e019cb3d5e.jpg

Ezduzit

Adventurer rig works for me. Looks like there's more than one of these rigs roaming around out there. With more than one way to build it also. That yellow flat face looks like quite the beast. Those two posted are the only pictures I could find of the originally posted vehicle.
Not sure it would be completely necessary to have tandem axles, but I kind of like the thought of them being there when the roads run out.
So it may have started life as a M939. I have called about a floating bridge truck I found listed for sale 7 1/2 hours away from me but haven't got any details or a call back yet.
It is a m812 I believe. Manual transmission truck. Still looking for something closer. We will have to see what turns up. I have read on here that the bridge trucks have extra width axles so they may not work well with the bus bodys width. Still looking into how the extra width was accomplished. Wheel offset seems most obvious and housing width a possibility.
Looking at the yellow bus with the fender flairs added makes me think it may have a bridge truck chassis under the bus body? Looks extra wide to me. Not sure that would be a legal width to have on the road.

Last edited:

Ezduzit

You may like this one, as well.

Not military, but along these lines.

View attachment 833105

Thanks for this link, I just read thru the 7 pages. Some well thought out nice work being done.
I may use some of his ideas.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adventurer rig works for me. Looks like there's more than one of these rigs roaming around out there. With more than one way to build it also. That yellow flat face looks like quite the beast. Those two posted are the only pictures I could find of the originally posted vehicle.
Not sure it would be completely necessary to have tandem axles, but I kind of like the thought of them being there when the roads run out.
So it may have started life as a M939. I have called about a floating bridge truck I found listed for sale 7 1/2 hours away from me but haven't got any details or a call back yet.
It is a m812 I believe. Manual transmission truck. Still looking for something closer. We will have to see what turns up. I have read on here that the bridge trucks have extra width axles so they may not work well with the bus bodys width. Still looking into how the extra width was accomplished. Wheel offset seems most obvious and housing width a possibility.
Looking at the yellow bus with the fender flairs added makes me think it may have a bridge truck chassis under the bus body? Looks extra wide to me. Not sure that would be a legal width to have on the road.
Food for thought: The 900 series of trucks are easier to drive, automatic vs manual transmission. This gives them a much higher “spouse approval rating”. My wife has fun driving our M934. With the power steering and air breaks, it’s like driving a big car.:cool:

Ezduzit

Food for thought: The 900 series of trucks are easier to drive, automatic vs manual transmission. This gives them a much higher “spouse approval rating”. My wife has fun driving our M934. With the power steering and air breaks, it’s like driving a big car.:cool:
Bill I haven't come by any 900 series trucks to get a close up walk around look at yet. They would definitely be my first choice from what I've read so far. I do prefer the wider cab, tilting doghouse along with the power steering .
My wife would never drive a truck this large so the automatic is not really a must have for us. As for the air brakes, Does the 800 series have them also? Or were they the air assisted hydraulic? Turns out the 800 series have been easier to find in this area so far.
I stumbled upon over a half a dozen trucks that have been sitting for at least 3 to 4 years. Some deuce some 5 tons all complete not parts trucks. Among them one has the long wheelbase I am looking for. I think it's another 812 bridge truck and they are all less than an hour drive away from me. I took a few pictures while I was there with my phone. pics not so good but will post them anyway. I was also glad to see all the trucks that were available for sale have the winch option I was looking for.
1st photo is 5 ton dump with a deuce cargo to the left.
2nd is the same 5 ton dump sinking into the earth some.

Attachments

Ezduzit

Bridge crane truck I am considering for my project, sorry the pics are glared out. Another deuce? tractor is parked behind the bridge truck if it can be seen. Saw a military lowboy trailer that may be its companion. Some cargo trailers and much more than I have the experience to detail accurately. I was wow'd by the collection and certainly felt the need to have known more about what all I was looking at.
I figure some time working with a truck and I'll get to know my way around a little better.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know much about the 800 series of trucks. When I was looking for a truck to convert into an RV. I was told to get a 900 because I pull a heavy trailer with it.

Ezduzit

I don’t know much about the 800 series of trucks. When I was looking for a truck to convert into an RV. I was told to get a 900 because I pull a heavy trailer with it.
Bill, I feel that 900 series is the best advice. I just have to find a long wheel base. The 800s have been making themselves available is all. These m812 bridge trucks have a axle width problem I may or may not be able to solve. Plus a narrower cab that wouldn't line up as nice on the wide bus body firewall. The best choice is probably an extra long cargo of the 900 series. I will have to research the M numbers on xlwb m939s. As you can tell I haven't got it completely sorted. I appreciate the nudge in the logical direction. I certainly hope logical works out.

Ezduzit

M927 cargo m928 cargo w/winch
M934 m935 expansible van wo/winch
M942 m943 chassis? Haven't found any with a quick search.
All extra long wheel base models. I also found while researching these model numbers
the m900 series trend higher priced than what I have found the 800s. Prices were all over the place really but online averaged 5,000.-20,000. more than the trucks I've looked at.
Of course condition has its impact on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks