• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

has anybody started a 6.5 in the can?

I have a 1998 c2500 that had 400k on it when it spun a bearing. i picked up a 6.5 in a can on gl. has anybody here started one in the can? what do i have to do?(power,fuel) It looked better in the pictures then in person.
does anybody know what kind of compression i should have per cyl with all the glow plugs removed?
My thoughts were to run a rubber fuel line from the lift pump for fuel (off the truck).
I have a good starter from another truck.
I can hold down the can with a forklift and chain.
If i send 24 volts dc to the pump will it open the solenoid valve?
What about the pmd on the side of the pump, do I need to do anything with that?
any thoughts, ideas, pokes, experience would be greatly appreciated
TANKS, WILLYS

Sephirothq

Most stuff looks better in the picutres then in real life.

Before you go and try and start it you might want to tear it down and inspect the parts.
This will cost you gaskets if everything is ok, but there is a good chance something will need to be repaired, or something could go horribly wrong if you just try to start it.

So tear it down, inspect, replace / repair, run

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read this thread. He started 4 of them. Read it all, but the good stuff starts on page 5.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/73116-starting-four-hmmwv-engines-can.html

The Military 6.5s shouldn't have the PDM on the injector pump.

Depending on the engine, you will have a 12v or a 24v fuel shutoff on the IP.

*** Ha....Recovry bet me to it. I was busy changing the title on the linked thread to make an easier search...***

Last edited:
Thanks so much you guys. I should be able to do all this right in my back yard, with all the stuff i already have. I don`t think i will need to buy anything. Its a shame its dark outside right now i would be out there now.