• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anybody used a M1031's PTO for a winch?

biggestc69

Thanks Jim! :beer: That last bend in the shaft where it meets the winch was some what of an extreme angle but that's about the only way we could pull it off with the stock exhaust and without re-routing brake lines. Its not like its gonna be running all the time so I think that last couple u joints will last awhile. The cable is 5/8ths to, fiber core, I'm sure I'll get beat up on here for it being too big, but its what we had and this thing wont be doing anything that will get close to breaking the sheer pin, which we put two in the the drive line just in case. Haven't really load tested it yet because of no roller fairlead. Hunting one down now, or the kid in me will fire up the welder and make my own. This project has been on going since April and I'm so close to trying it but one little piece is holding me back:(

biggestc69

View from the bed. Gonna make a hinged door reusing the piece of the bed we cut out. That way we can keep an eye on the cable, hit the fill plugs since my "rebuild" leaks oil faster than you can put it in there on the lever side. I hear alot of people talking about corn header grease. Think that stuff will stop the leak and keep it lubed enough? Anybody use it with experience?

sebaeb

That is awesome work....thanks for the write up!...any pictures of the Transfer install and shafts going to the rear?

biggestc69

Well just kinda what you see in the video with the bed off. Its kinda pieced together with whatever PTO parts we had laying around. I did finally get the roller fairlead done. Its made outta schedule 120 pipe for the rollers. Turned out pretty sweet.

Attachments

Last edited:

biggestc69

Well just kinda what you see in the video with the bed off. Its kinda pieced together with whatever PTO parts we had laying around. I did finally get the roller fairlead done. Its made outta schedule 120 pipe for the rollers. Turned out pretty sweet.

Last edited:

biggestc69

Well just kinda what you see in the video with the bed off. Its kinda pieced together with whatever PTO parts we had laying around. I did finally get the roller fairlead done. Its made outta schedule 120 pipe for the rollers. Turned out pretty sweet.Winch Fairlead Install - 03.jpgWinch Fairlead Install - 14.jpgWinch Fairlead Install - 34.jpgWinch Fairlead Install - 36.jpg

biggestc69

The fairlead is tied into the reciever hitch with 1" x3" bar. The reciever hitch then got welded to the bumper and then to the frame. And then of course the beauty weld around the fairlead to the bumper. Its not going anywhere. It'll tear the truck up before something gives so I've gotta be careful.

biggestc69

Thanks, it took some head scratching but we got it figured out. If you go with the NP205 transfer case then the output will be on your drivers side. If you dont want to run the extreme angle that we had to then you could always use a chain and sprocket setup. Alot more fab work and then you have to figure out sprocket sizes, unless you want to do two of the same size. Thats what I planned on doing but the way the exhaust is mounted kept me from doing it that way. If you run an aftermarket exhuast you can avoid that problem.

Blitz

Dredging up an old thread, But curious as to what Muncie Model number PTO You used for the NP 205.

I'm collecting the final parts for a LU-4 on a M715, from an NP 205.

I'm having heck finding a Muncie or a Chelsea PTO that will fly on the 205.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Blitz