• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone converted a 6.2 into a turbo charged unit?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the intake and exhaust manifold and turbo charger from a 6.5. I am certain there are differences between the heads but cannot use any of these parts?

I had a 1987 6.2 L with a TH 400 stock transmission.

has anyone undertaken the task of turbo charging a 6.2? Is there are preferred method?

Is it as simple as swapping to a 6.5 head set? Which 6.5 head should I use if that is the case?

Thanks,

T

PS: If this is not the appropriate forum, please let me know a better place to post. I searched the engine rebuild and transmission section and did not find satisfactory answers.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 6.5 turbo needs to be a center mount like out of a van in order to work in a hmmwv. The side mount like on 90% of 6.5 motors will interfere with the body.

The center mount turbo system uses different heads, intake, and exhaust.

Chief_919

Is your turbo and intake from a center mount turbo like the HMMWV and GM vans used or a truck style side mount?

The center mount intake needed for a HMMWV requires different heads as well, you can't bolt it to a NA engine without swapping them. The side mount setup won't fit in a HMMWV.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, this is my plan:

I will need to make custom intake and exhaust manifolds based on the 6. 5 Turbo center mounted HMMWV design, but fitted to the 6.2 to allow for the differences between the heads.

I will take measurements. I will have to find someone who does CAD/CAM in the Brooklyn, New York city, area. I will then need to weld up flanges to tube steel to make intake and output manifolds. Most likely I will utilize a turbo from a 6.5 L/M998 application with intake and output flanges and oil ducting already in production to save on fabrication.

I will also need to ensure that I will have adequate vacuum for such activities as braking. I will need to see if the M998 with a 6.5 L Turbo requires a separate vacuum system.

EDIT - I will also need to see where the oil pump and oil under pressure can be diverted towards the turbo assembly, and the best way of returning the oil to the engine.

I have spent many years on the Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel forums, and I own and regularly work on my Toyota Land Cruiser. This kind of stuff is done there all the time.

No doubt this will take several months, and will not happen overnight. Once I have things well in hand I will post pictures however it is very premature at this point in time.

I was hoping someone else here had performed this activity, and could have prevented me from "reinventing the wheel."

For those interested, this is not a small project and most likely this project will take many months.

Thanks In Advance,

T

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How will you get oil to the turbo?
Either I will have to find a port that I can access or I will need some type of pump. Mechanical pumping assemblies are available, and so are electric assemblies.

Most engines have ports that are closed off and can be opened. Other engines have areas that can be drilled and tapped into the block. Some engines require a port in the drain pan to take oil and a second port to return oil.

Last edited:

Barrman

To bash, nobody said you couldn't make it work if you threw enough time and money at it. They were merely pointing out the differences between a side mount turbo and a center mount turbo. which is heads, block, exhaust system, turbo and intake. The IP should be ok either way.

I have spent the last year or so going the other way. Making center mount heads on a NA block work with a side mount turbo. It is a pain. Especially since I could have just spent a few hundred dollars and gotten the NA heads worked on. To me there is a point were using the parts engineered to work together is better than reinventing the wheel.

It is your truck and wallet so do as you wish. If your goal is a turbo charged reliable easy to work on vehicle. Maybe buying one of the several GEP turbo pull out drive trains that seem to be always for sale might be a better option. Then you just get to redo all the body work that has to be done for it to fit in your truck.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To bash, nobody said you couldn't make it work if you threw enough time and money at it. They were merely pointing out the differences between a side mount turbo and a center mount turbo. which is heads, block, exhaust system, turbo and intake. The IP should be ok either way.

I have spent the last year or so going the other way. Making center mount heads on a NA block work with a side mount turbo. It is a pain. Especially since I could have just spent a few hundred dollars and gotten the NA heads worked on. To me there is a point were using the parts engineered to work together is better than reinventing the wheel.

It is your truck and wallet so do as you wish. If your goal is a turbo charged reliable easy to work on vehicle. Maybe buying one of the several GEP turbo pull out drive trains that seem to be always for sale might be a better option. Then you just get to redo all the body work that has to be done for it to fit in your truck.
Thank you for your input.

I am not interested in placing a 6.5 turbo in my vehicle because I prefer the 6.2 L engines. I also would prefer to stay away from 4 speed transmissions because the electronics can be a real pain. If I were to switch to a 4 speed tranny I would consider using a 700 R4, but then I would have to fabricate a kick down cable and modify for reliability with high performance parts.

Given that I already converted my Land Cruiser with a IIb diesel engine into a Land Cruiser IIIB diesel engine to which I added turbo charging, and given I also have a long history of working on cars with turbochargers, I do not see this as a very expensive project. I can do the welding myself once I have exhaust portal bolts on attachments cut by the CAD/CAM guys using their laser cutting or high-speed water cutting. (The other way I can do this is diagramming what I need and physically using a jig saw and burs to cut out the pieces I need to attach piping to the engine block. More time intensive but also has the advantage of being very low-tech.) I just need to design exhaust manifolds that will meet up with the turbo charging unit of a 6.5, and then divert that compressed air up to a stock intake manifold.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

you might consider a 6.5 head upgrade than use the 6.5 van turbocharger the hmmwv uses that way you get the improved air flow from the 6.5 heads plus bolt on turbo charging.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about that but my mechanic friend seems to dislike the idea because he feels diesel engine head swaps are very time intensive.

Has many people here swapped 6.2 heads to 6.5 L heads?

Where can I read about it?

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

I was thinking about that but my mechanic friend seems to dislike the idea because he feels diesel engine head swaps are very time intensive.

Has many people here swapped 6.2 heads to 6.5 L heads?

Where can I read about it?
You need to remove injector lines, then valve covers, rockers and shafts. Then the head comes off, new gaskets, put everything back together. Torque with arp studs or NEW head bolts-head bolts are torque to yield 1time use bolts.

You will be miles ahead using the correct "van" or center mount turbo heads. The only difference between regular truck heads and the center mount heads is the intake bolt angle-regular heads have the bolts angled to the center of the engine which makes it extremely hard to mount/fabricate any center mount turbo application.

It is true it is a little more intensive then a gas engine, and I haven't really timed myself, but I don't think it takes me more then another 2 hours over a gas motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

Probably on another forum like how to bubba up a HMMWV.
Seriously this is primarily a forum for people who want to restore the military HMMWV like it was designed and engineered to run.
I would suggest maybe a different forum that his more suited to custom Hot Rods or Monster Trucks.

Kaiser67M715

Seriously this is primarily a forum for people who want to restore the military HMMWV like it was designed and engineered to run.
I would suggest maybe a different forum that his more suited to custom Hot Rods or Monster Trucks.
I think all he is trying to do is convert an non turbo hmmwv to a turbo hmmwv, I think that would be in the realm of this forum. True he wanted to do it the difficult way, but hopefully he sees the light and realizes it will be cheaper and faster to just get the right parts up front. Some things you can fabricate easy others you can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone knows that these are terrific trucks. I am not trying to "Bubba it up" nor am I trying to make a "Monster truck."

Most of the you have been very supportive, but I'm kind of surprised by some of the reactions.

Vehicles like these deserve a power plant with more than 190 horsepower.

A mild horsepower upgrade to improve performance while not so much of a horsepower increase that damages drive train components is all I desire.

For those of you who live out in G-d's Country in the Midwest, you don't need to worry about merging onto a crowded highway.

Might I respectfully request informational posts rather than flames.

Thanks guys,

T

Last edited:

ryanruck

Maybe site ownership might see fit to add an additional subforum since there are so many more of these trucks in private hands now, like some of the other vehicles get.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?49-Deuce-Modification-and-Hot-Rodding

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?109-5-ton-Mods-and-Hot-Rodding

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?151-CUCV-Hot-Rodding-and-Modification

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks