• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone converted a 6.2 into a turbo charged unit?

dilvoy

Just turning up the fuel rate may not be good enough for more power and efficient fuel burn, because the turbo 6.5's use a different set of injectors. Will the turbo injectors function with your injector pump at whatever rate you turn it up too? What do you think will happen to the timing of the injector pop off when you up the fuel rate and use your existing injectors? These are things you need to know as timing is critical to making power.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After all is said and done...

It is indeed possible to turbocharge a 6.2 BUT, I would need to pull the engine, construct a custom low profile intake manifold, and find oil to supply the unit, and rebuild the fuel pump for higher output, and make custom brackets for the exhaust to turbo fittings, etc..., etc..., etc...

If these were super rare short-blocks or if the turbocharged engines were unobtanium, then it would make sense. If a simple bolt-on kit was still being made, it would be easy. Whipple stopped making the 6.2 Diesel blower, and Banks only makes a side mount unit. Space constraints make using other affordable options impossible. The same technology I used to twin-turbocharge my numbers matching Corvettte and supercharge my numbers matching GTO just won't work here.

The smart dollar is on a simple swap. I needed time to assimilate all the information, and that seems to have been a problem for some people. This is why I asked specific questions in order to make a mental map of what was necessary.

RWH, you're correct and I thank you for your input. I thank you for jumping back into the forum and I'm upset that issues that de-railed the thread were insulting to you and caused you to stop contributing to this thread. I will PM you my apologies.

Everyone else, IMHO modifications are not bad, but only if they make sense. The new M998's have evolved from 6000lb to like 12,000 with new axles and such with time. The military is not sentimental and they will modify anything (without respect) to make it fit a purpose. As a civilian I will modify my vehicles to make them serve my purposes occasionally. I hope that is not called Bubba-fying.

In conclusion to the turbocharging a 6.2 question:

Is it possible?... Absolutely.

Is it feasible?... Not so much.

Thanks everyone!

T

Last edited:

Bocephus

Dilvoy - good call on those questions you ask, short answer from me, I have no clue on any of that! haha. Those are the things I need to learn, and have never thought about.

I wouldn't have guessed I would need to changed injectors, pump, etc... to run a few pounds of boost.

dilvoy

With a complete Turbo take out engine assy with all pulleys less generator and with a cut turbo housing advertised for $3,800 and probably plus shipping it is getting more and more difficult to justify a turbo swap onto a 6.2 even if you are still OK with the three speed trans. The turbo engines use a serpentine belt system with a water pump that moves more water than any water pump used on the V Belt 6.2's so that is another thing to consider when trying to go your own way.

botulism

I will confirm that it is possible. But you don't want to do it. Going down a hill on a cool day, I can get 0-60 in about 13-14 seconds with 9 pounds of boost. Practically speaking, I can now merge onto the highway like a normal vehicle. Speed limited by front end shimmy above 60mph.

But you don't want to do it. Even with a Banks kit, it took six months of shop time to configure it. Didn't have to make any parts, but it was difficult to find what I needed. Even the Banks kit required speaking directly with Banks, and they created a custom Frankenstein kit out of stuff in their warehouse. I learned that each military service had their own specific config under the hood on the 6.2l, which is why Banks couldn't give me something off the shelf.

It will be a lot cheaper to buy a new 6.5l turbo hmmwv than to add one to your existing rig. You'll still have money left over to buy a new GEP optimizer engine.

Action

I will confirm that it is possible. But you don't want to do it. Going down a hill on a cool day, I can get 0-60 in about 13-14 seconds with 9 pounds of boost. Practically speaking, I can now merge onto the highway like a normal vehicle. Speed limited by front end shimmy above 60mph.

But you don't want to do it. Even with a Banks kit, it took six months of shop time to configure it. Didn't have to make any parts, but it was difficult to find what I needed. Even the Banks kit required speaking directly with Banks, and they created a custom Frankenstein kit out of stuff in their warehouse. I learned that each military service had their own specific config under the hood on the 6.2l, which is why Banks couldn't give me something off the shelf.

It will be a lot cheaper to buy a new 6.5l turbo hmmwv than to add one to your existing rig. You'll still have money left over to buy a new GEP optimizer engine.
Are you telling folks not to put a turbo on a 6.2 or not to swap the 6.2 for a 6.5 TD?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks