• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has Anyone Done A Complete Conversion To 12v?

Tance

I have a decent low mileage dually (M1028A2) that will soon have a new 454, and I'm thinking about a complete conversion to 12v... using one of the after market wiring kits for an 84 Chevy truck. Good winter project.

I'm not real clear on the CUCV electrical system, so my question is... what about the components themselves (wiper motor, heater motor, dash switches, interior light bulb recepticles, etc). I assume those are all 12v correct?

I guess I'm confused because I hear people saying the light bulbs are special (24v) but someone put a stock Chevy truck steering column in my truck and the wiring connection snapped right in and all the lights work fine.

Any other potential problems you have experienced or would anticipate by rewiring everything to 12v?

Thanks for your replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the schematics in the back of the -20 TM. Should be very easy(even using the original engine harness).

shannondeese

On one of my CUCV Blazers I did the 12 volt conversion in about an hour. The other the harness was shot so I replaced the whole harness with a summit universal chevy harness. It took about 4 days to complete. It's not that difficult a job to do. Have fun with it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing 24V is the starter and glow plug circuit and you will not need that. I see no problem with the conversion other than why.

Tance

Thanks for your replies, sounds like I shouldn't have any electrical surprises. I think I'll get it in the garage and take a close look at the existing wiring. I had an 84 Corvette that the plastic wiring connectors were so brittle they'd break if you tried to disconnect them. If that's the case, I'll go with Shannon's suggestion and try a Summit harness. Don't want any wiring problems down the road, might as well do it right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks