• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone ever just put a camper shell on a deuce instead of modifying a M109?

icecreamman

I personally want to make mine removable. Maybe an older Lance 1031? Someone has a similar build with an older camper on here. Havent made any measurements or studied into it much. Maybe the jack kits for a dually with extensions would make it easily removable. From what I've seen, the 109 container is just too #$%^ heavy for the space you get.

Another plus is that I could set the Lance on my Powerstroke and run 70mph if I want. Old friend has a 109, naturally aspirated with a sprag. Its a pig. I love "blowing smoke" but the box is d$%^ heavy. The turbo is only 5hp?

SteelWarrior

Ive been thinking about this idea myself for many years. Great concept. I hsd the idea turn into a slightly different business model andd ended up buying a transit bus and converting it into my new business. During the build I had to cut out the entire side of the bus and then remove and cover over all of the driver side windows as well. I used large industrial rivets andd RV sealant and caulking. The bus is in service now. A good warm-up for my future Deuce project :) Gives me time to perfect - I mean, prepare my plans. I'm thinking (rough outline) an 18 or so foot travel trailer with a slide out (or two) and something similar to aluminum docking frame attached to the side with hinges so it can fold down into a deck where feasible. I would attempt to get as low a ceiling model as possible to keep the height down and use good engineering principles to keep the weight as balanced as well. Originally my thought was to have the camping unit self contained so I could drop it off the back (still operational) and use the truck for whatever else with the possible exception of the generator. and if the place I was dropping my self-contained camping unit happened to be on top of a custom deck-boat platform - I guess that would be cool too. well, didn't mean to hijack the thread but - its pretty cold right now. - HEY - If any of you guys use my ideas - I want so see them!

rustystud

I have often thought an older fifth wheel trailer would be a great option instead of a M109 box. The older fifth wheel trailers where not as tall as todays models but you still had the over hang that would extend over the cab creating more usable storage space or beds. They usually where very bottom heavy keeping your center of gravity low. The problem is in finding one in nice enough shape !

daytonatrbo

I have often thought an older fifth wheel trailer would be a great option instead of a M109 box. The older fifth wheel trailers where not as tall as todays models but you still had the over hang that would extend over the cab creating more usable storage space or beds. They usually where very bottom heavy keeping your center of gravity low. The problem is in finding one in nice enough shape !
There's a real nice compact one sitting in a marina lot a couple towns over from me. I'll have to stop in and inquire some time.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine owns an M35A2 and he has a 'poptop' camper in the bed of his deuce. When the camper poptop is down, you can't TELL it is inside the truck bed with the cover on. He modded the rails that hold the bed cover in place. He measured up how high the trailer 'pops up' and then moved the legs up and drilled a hole in them so he slides a pin in each leg at the correct height.

And the cover is long enough that it still does not allow you to see it's there and the cover is still attached to the bed. He doesn't drive it around with the poptop UP, but once parked, he raises the legs and pins them in place and them raises the poptop up.

This gives him a space to sleep four, A/C, TV, semi functional kitchen. Plus a portatoilet that personally I wouldn't use. But if camping and parked during a heavy down pour or snow storm, one MIGHT actually use the potty inside the pop up camper instead of 'finding a tree or digging a hole' if you get my drift.

It works very well and he's super happy with the setup. Plus with either a tow motor or a small cat with forks he can (and does) remove it from the bed during the spring/fall/winter months and his deuce is just a deuce. But during the summer it's a 'camper deuce'.

I think the idea is sheer genius.

I used to have pictures but can't find them right now. If I do, I will post them.

Yes, he is a member here, but I don't say who without telling him first.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That poptop (popup) camper is a good idea too.

For those that are toying with the idea of a fifth wheel, consider that at least most that I have seen need to be spaced up quite a bit to clear the cab height. (Hard to tell in the pic on post #17 but the bottom of the trailer looks like it is just even with the top of the bed sides.) Not only is this bad from the center of gravity aspect, it puts you dangerously close to the 13'6" height restrictions of many States. Some have mentioned that the older ones may be a squeak shorter but that is just for the part over the cab. The rest still has to be raised quite high. Rooftop A/C units will also probably be out of the question. These were the reasons I abandoned that idea. On the other hand, I have also considered airport shuttle-type van/buses as a source for a shelter. Take the body of a shuttle bus minus the van cab and graft it directly onto the frame rails. By removing the cab top, the thing could be connected like a class B or C RV, with walk-though from the driver seat to the back. Obviously, the same would apply if you used the living quarters from a class B RV but those my not be as cheap as a shuttle bus body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks