• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone ever pulled throttle instead of engine stop?

chvss65

yup, at a car show
sort of blew fuel on a couple of cars, but they didnt know what the spots were, damn birds
I truely felt bad, because of the work that goes into the cars :oops: :oops:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
unless the fuel is turned up, in whch case the governor won't govern very well.
Sure it will. Turning the fuel delivery up has nuttin' to do with the governor part of the pump..it'll just get there faster ;-)

Can't say i've ever pulled the throttle instead ov the shut down..but anything can happen!

poppop

I have but never got it to high before I caught it. But when I picked up my 813 we had pulled it up to the warehouse to air some tires and had some running issues. turned out the tank vent was stopped up and pulled a vaacum and quit running. I put air pressure to the tank while my Buddy loosened the fuel line while kneeling on the fender. We had an 8 inch cinder blook in front of the front tire to keep it from rolling. The nice GSA man asked if I wanted him to start it while I kept air on the tank. It started and quit again. I then saw him pull the hand throttle all the way out, I assume thinking it was the choke. It was my first truck so I did not know any better, I knew it was not the choke as diesels don't have chokes, but did not think about it being the hand throttle. Well the second time it started just fine, proceeded to scream like a bansee, causing the Gsa guy to dump the clutch which I had not noticed he was holding down. The truck being in high range first gear reared 3 feet straight up, did not even move the cinder block and proceeded through the warehouse wall up to the windshield before the guy got it stopped. It pitched my Buddy head over heels onto the asphault but luckily only brusied him. The other GSA employees can out and had a good laugh and needless to say we got loaded and out of there as quickly as possible. A state prisoner who had been cleaning the yard came by and made a wide berth around the truck and asked, you got that thing under control, it got the devil in it. Our next trip to this place they had straighened the wall out but you could still see the imprint of my truck in it.:oops::oops:

Pawnshop

I have but never got it to high before I caught it. But when I picked up my 813 we had pulled it up to the warehouse to air some tires and had some running issues. turned out the tank vent was stopped up and pulled a vaacum and quit running. I put air pressure to the tank while my Buddy loosened the fuel line while kneeling on the fender. We had an 8 inch cinder blook in front of the front tire to keep it from rolling. The nice GSA man asked if I wanted him to start it while I kept air on the tank. It started and quit again. I then saw him pull the hand throttle all the way out, I assume thinking it was the choke. It was my first truck so I did not know any better, I knew it was not the choke as diesels don't have chokes, but did not think about it being the hand throttle. Well the second time it started just fine, proceeded to scream like a bansee, causing the Gsa guy to dump the clutch which I had not noticed he was holding down. The truck being in high range first gear reared 3 feet straight up, did not even move the cinder block and proceeded through the warehouse wall up to the windshield before the guy got it stopped. It pitched my Buddy head over heels onto the asphault but luckily only brusied him. The other GSA employees can out and had a good laugh and needless to say we got loaded and out of there as quickly as possible. A state prisoner who had been cleaning the yard came by and made a wide berth around the truck and asked, you got that thing under control, it got the devil in it. Our next trip to this place they had straighened the wall out but you could still see the imprint of my truck in it.:oops::oops:
WOW, I am VERY thankful that nobody was hurt, but that almost made me drown in my coffee (don't drink and laugh, it may kill you:))! I bet that guy never offers to start another truck again...

I have not yet pulled the wrong handle, but my excuse is that my Deuce requires about 2" of hand throttle to idle at 800rpm so that means it doesn't LOOK like the shutoff handle (which should be at rest against the dash). And I always make the power switch and engine stop manipulation one maneuver which helps, I think.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Yes, I admit I have done this. In fact I did it at a GL site in Oregon (No GL folks onsite). There was a group of NG boys talking about 20 yards in front of the truck. I fired her up and let her idle for about 5 minutes. When I went to shut her off and wasn't paying any attention. Oops, throttle instead of fuel shut off. It took a few seconds to figure out what I had done, enough time for all the NG boys to come running up to figure out what was going on:oops: They didn't care about the throttle thing but were more concerned that the deuce even started at all. In fact one of the guys asked what country the truck was from:roll: I guess it was before their time.

waayfast

Well-----sorta ---I guess---To explain,my truck is a Gasser-so no engine cut off (although the choke control is labeled on the handle"engine stop")BUT I drove it all last summer and fall trying to put up with an over revving engine(foot under the pedal trying to slow it down)before I realized the throttle handle was actually pulled out a notch but looked like it was pushed all the way in to the dash:oops:

Tackettr

Well it looks like we have 3 groups;

1. Those who have done it and admit it. (I'm in this group.):oops:
2. Those who haven't done it, yet!:-D
3. Those who have done it and won't admit it! :-D:-D

Mt Doom Field Owner

I know it's just a matter of time till I grab and pull the throttle by mistake. In my 71 Kaiser Jeep the STOP is red plastic so it's obvious they made it that way because of repeated goofs!
... I have these excuses all ready for use when needed. Feel free to pick one or add some!:
1. "I meant to do that!"
2. "Just testing the Run-Away-Engine switch!"
3. "I'm blowing the dirt daubers out of the exhaust stack!"
4. "Just letting my wife know I'm home!"
5. "God I love the sound of this thing!"
6. "Just priming up the fuel system!"
7. Your input here - " !" :-D

Last edited:

zout

example

Its like asking a biker if he has ever dropped their bike
Most lie and say NO
Some will say Almost
Some say they never have - even after 30 yrs of biking
(THEY ALL HAVE DROPPED THEM in one form or another)
(if they haven't - they are not experienced)

Experience - PHD in Harley Davidson to Expert (ending 2007) and service manager of their dealership at one point in time.